New Traffic Cams - Rawai

mikebike

So I noticed today that traffic cams have been installed today (Nov. 10) on Saiyuan. One before Moo Texmex pointing at the 90 degree turn/intersection with the small soi which comes out at the Monday/Thursday market (near OK Bar) and another before Soi Kokmakham in front of the big bike rental shop pointing at that nasty little intersection. Anyone seen any others go up in Rawai recently???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I would love to see proper traffic cameras and ticketing via camera evidence. I would particularly like to see all of the jerks who drive right to the front of the line to get fined. This is beyond rude.

The best thing that could happen here is police on powerful motorbikes pulling over the idiots who find it funny to weave in and out of traffic at speed causing all to worry what might happen in the next few minutes!!!

There have been cams up around Rawaii and elsewhere for a while. Are you sure these are new?

If they are the same type as before, as I recall reading in the Gazette they are not traffic cams, but crime suppression cams. To get footage of vehicles fleeing crime scenes. Can be used in the case of accident causing injury or death too, unless it was crime or accident caused by a member of the tuk tuk or taxi mafia. Then they all mysteriously "malfunction."

Personally, I would love to see proper traffic cameras and ticketing via camera evidence. I would particularly like to see all of the jerks who drive right to the front of the line to get fined. This is beyond rude.

The best thing that could happen here is police on powerful motorbikes pulling over the idiots who find it funny to weave in and out of traffic at speed causing all to worry what might happen in the next few minutes!!!

When we did the Big Bike Highway Police Volunteer class a lot of people (not the volunteers) were under the impression that we would be used this way (considering the accident and death rate here it's probably not a bad idea for the worst most dangerous offenders) One Thaivisa member was so certain this was the case that he conjured up a story in which he claimed he had video of a BBHPV "making a fool of himself" pulling over a helmet less Thai that u-turned at a checkpoint in Phuket. No video could be provided of course as it was utter fiction.

yes at the ya nui beach intersection , right on the beach front bad t junction

You'll probably notice that most of the time it's pointed at the topless sunbathers on the beach. :blink:

Im quite happy most of the time on Thai roads. The last thing i want is nanny state laws from the west on Thai roads. Along with TVPs or old fuddy duddys who think they can enforce the local laws....if you don't like the driving here then don't drive. From previous experience in this country, i don't think the laws will be enforced anytime soon thank god.

I was in kualalumpur 3days ago and saw a big bike pull over a guy going 30kph but OVER the goddamn line..

i was like <deleted>. They're filming a movie.. southeast asians with common sense? no way

Im quite happy most of the time on Thai roads. The last thing i want is nanny state laws from the west on Thai roads. Along with TVPs or old fuddy duddys who think they can enforce the local laws....if you don't like the driving here then don't drive. From previous experience in this country, i don't think the laws will be enforced anytime soon thank god.

think i remember, you were the idiot who said you drrive home drunk most nights? it's not the nanny state laws that you hate, you hate yourself.

think i remember, you were the idiot who said you drrive home drunk most nights? it's not the nanny state laws that you hate, you hate yourself.

yeah right rolleyes.gif please all those without sin cast the first stone......no one in this forum has driven drunk in Thailand? laugh.gif LMFAO. I dont hate myself at all comrade...but I dont LIE to myself. Cheers biggrin.gif

I was in kualalumpur 3days ago and saw a big bike pull over a guy going 30kph but OVER the goddamn line..

i was like <deleted>. They're filming a movie.. southeast asians with common sense? no way

Yeah driving in Malaysia is a lot more like driving in the states or the UK than it is like driving in Thailand or most other SEA countries. Every time I saw a car being driven crazily in Malaysia, it invariably had Thai plates. They have police that actually chase you down, and the fines are not cheap. Much harder to get out of it with a little tea money, so I have heard. And they will actually check you when you leave the country to see if you have any outstanding tickets before they let you out.

Here is a picture I took of one of their traffic cops on a VFR800 at MotoGP. Not exactly your local BIB. (Although I have noticed Phuket Town traffic police do have a couple of BMW R1200's)

IMG_0761.jpg

Edited by LivinginKata

I'll just throw a couple of thousand baht notes out the window....guarantee the jacks wont be chasing the car.

If people want to drive like muppets I will do my best to get around them...if Somchai decides to start selling hot dogs in the middle of the intersection I wont be slowing down for him. And if Yohan and Inga from Sweden have a case of the wobbles because its the first time on a scooter...I will speed up and blow the horn, and if any falang goose on a powerful motorbike attempt to pull me over, they will be run off the road. I will pay the bribe at a time convenient to me.

I havent had a sober accident in ages and i dont intend to anytime soon...take note "do-gooders" ..I will be at the front of the pack

Yeah driving in Malaysia is a lot more like driving in the states or the UK than it is like driving in Thailand or most other SEA countries. They have police that actually chase you down, and the fines are not cheap. Much harder to get out of it with a little tea money, so I have heard. Here is a picture I took of one of their traffic cops on a VFR800 at MotoGP. Not exactly your local BIB. (Although I have noticed Phuket Town traffic police do have a couple of BMW R1200's)

IMG_0761.jpg

Why dont you sign up to the Malaysian Volunteer Police Force?

I'll just throw a couple of thousand baht notes out the window....guarantee the jacks wont be chasing the car.

If people want to drive like muppets I will do my best to get around them...if Somchai decides to start selling hot dogs in the middle of the intersection I wont be slowing down for him. And if Yohan and Inga from Sweden have a case of the wobbles because its the first time on a scooter...I will speed up and blow the horn, and if any falang goose on a powerful motorbike attempt to pull me over, they will be run off the road. I will pay the bribe at a time convenient to me.

I havent had a sober accident in ages and i dont intend to anytime soon...take note "do-gooders" ..I will be at the front of the pack

You'll never win mate.

You'll never win mate.

prove me wrong...i dont see any changes coming soon wink.gif

You'll never win mate.

prove me wrong...i dont see any changes coming soon wink.gif

Impossible to prove you wrong as I doubt any thing will change here, it all seems to work pretty well without to much intervention from the law!!

Can I say that driving whilst drunk is a terrible thing, yes I have done it, it's something I do not do any more, the consequences of an accident here whilst drunk would be life changing for you and the other people who are involved in the inevitable accident!!!

Edited by kenny999

Wow this is some post!! I sincerely hope this is just bravado and not some thing he actually puts in to practice!!!!

Wow this is some post!! I sincerely hope this is just bravado and not some thing he actually puts in to practice!!!!

Its practiced alright, my favorite is speeding past tourists wobbling on their bike for the first time and seeing if they crash from the fright of a speeding car just missing the handlebars.

They soon learn to keep left and not coast in the middle of the lane.

Edited by katasyd

Its practiced alright, my favorite is speeding past tourists wobbling on their bike for the first time and seeing if they crash from the fright of a speeding car just missing the handlebars.

I can see how much fun that would be!!!

Sheesh you sound no better than Snamos, its people like you who should not be allowed to drive on the road :realangry:

If you check the time of snamos posts there is a good chance he has had more than his fair

share of booze

He usually starts posting rubbish late at night B)

And early in the morning too St Peterjap.gif

Edited by snamos

@ Peter

Its a great educational tool for teaching novices on bikes to keep left and out of the middle of the lane doing 30kph.

Maybe Thailand should be a little more stringent on rental companies that are renting bikes to people who don't hold a licence and in some cases, never ridden a bike before.

Are these people insured if they hit my car? no....

So it's my hobby to give a crash course (no pun intended) in keeping left.

Just doing my part for Phuket.

Edited by katasyd

It's just forum chat, people post bravado because they don't want to appear as being a lesser man(up to them, personally I prefer to tell it how it actually is(up to me, :D we have all had a drink then driven but most of us at some point realize that is is some thing that needs to be avoided...

It's just forum chat, people post bravado because they don't want to appear as being a lesser man(up to them, personally I prefer to tell it how it actually is(up to me, :D we have all had a drink then driven but most of us at some point realize that is is some thing that needs to be avoided...

Yes Kenny, you worked me out in no time whatsoever.

Drink driving in Phuket is a way of life, it ain't going anywhere whilst law enforcement is like it is.

I do it, my friends do it.

Anyone who says they don't is either a liar or they don't drink.

I got my Thai licence fair and square...and I dont see anyone cutting it up or taking me to court anytime soon....after 6 years on the roads here never a drama....apart from a few fuddy duddys shaking their fists, of course i never hesitate to flip the bird backrolleyes.gif

What people fail to see in Phuket or Thailand for that matter is....The falangs will bring their road rage with them, In Falangland we are so conditioned to the laws there and so frightened that we actually enforce the laws of Falangland on other drivers. The road rage is a by product of fear....Ive listened to one cabbie that was so enraged by a motorist that didnt indicate 50 meters in front of him he had to chase the driver down and start giving instructions. I told the cabbie to stop and I got out. This was the defining moment of my theory. Another incident was when my GF was driving in Aus, she couldnt stand it because she was always looking at the speedo and not the road

The road rules here are a kind of freedom that I enjoy...and it reflects on the freedom that we experience here in our day to day lives. Honestly if you dont like the driving in this country then go...its the same as if you dont like the food, the women or the religion, boot off you wont be missed

Yes Kenny, you worked me out in no time whatsoever.

Drink driving in Phuket is a way of life, it ain't going anywhere whilst law enforcement is like it is.

I do it, my friends do it.

Anyone who says they don't is either a liar or they don't drink.

I am not a liar and I love a beer, I am not having a go here as this is my opinion, I do not drink and drive with my family in the car or on the motorbike why would I be that irresponsible, there is no need to drink and drive in this country with bars every few hundred meters or so, all I can say is that people who do this have no consideration for there lives,there family's lives or for any one Else's lives, and this comes from a person that has seen many people die in road accidents, hence why I do not drink and drive!!! would I ever come on a public forum and admit it if I did, absolutely not!!!

you should know better, if you love the thai culture so much pratice what u preach jai dee yen yen ..... writing the bravado crap u do is embarrassing man .......

I got my Thai licence fair and square...and I dont see anyone cutting it up or taking me to court anytime soon....after 6 years on the roads here never a drama....apart from a few fuddy duddys shaking their fists, of course i never hesitate to flip the bird backrolleyes.gif

What people fail to see in Phuket or Thailand for that matter is....The falangs will bring their road rage with them, In Falangland we are so conditioned to the laws there and so frightened that we actually enforce the laws of Falangland on other drivers. The road rage is a by product of fear....Ive listened to one cabbie that was so enraged by a motorist that didnt indicate 50 meters in front of him he had to chase the driver down and start giving instructions. I told the cabbie to stop and I got out. This was the defining moment of my theory. Another incident was when my GF was driving in Aus, she couldnt stand it because she was always looking at the speedo and not the road

The road rules here are a kind of freedom that I enjoy...and it reflects on the freedom that we experience here in our day to day lives. Honestly if you dont like the driving in this country then go...its the same as if you dont like the food, the women or the religion, boot off you wont be missed