90 Late Due To Flooding

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three weeks ago I was delayed getting back from upcountry and was one day late at Chaengwattana. I said "I am one day late..." and she had the fine pad out before I could finish the sentence, no explanation asked for or opportunity given.

Take a bundle of cash with you.

As suggested mail it in, I think that there is a seven day window for 90 day reporting, early or late. I have had an office accept my 90 day address reporting 3 weeks in advance, while I was there changing visa type, and I am sure there is a late reporting window.

It is 15 days before to 7 days after now I believe for reporting in person. By mail it must be received on or before date due so should be mailed a week to 10 days early. For Bangkok it is listed as

Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days

Yes, BKK folks can still mail their 90 day reports to Chaeng Wattana... And as stated, they advise to mail 7 days before, but I think that's based on sending via regular mail and giving time to arrive.

What really matters is that your envelope gets there BEFORE your due date. So if you send EMS or similar, it arrives within a couple days.... There is no after the due date grace period for mailed in 90 day reports.

Be sure to get and keep a receipt of mailing as proof that you sent it in and on what date.

You can do it by mail and Suan Plu has re-opened for most all immigration services. The one-stop center at Chimchuri is also open for work related visas and permits.

Also had a friend who did his 90 day report in Phuket, he said it was no problem although he lives in BKK.

Edited by gjoo888

Yes, BKK folks can still mail their 90 day reports to Chaeng Wattana... And as stated, they advise to mail 7 days before, but I think that's based on sending via regular mail and giving time to arrive.

What really matters is that your envelope gets there BEFORE your due date. So if you send EMS or similar, it arrives within a couple days.... There is no after the due date grace period for mailed in 90 day reports.

Be sure to get and keep a receipt of mailing as proof that you sent it in and on what date.

They told me if I mail in my 90 day report I must register it and post 15 days before it was due, they also gave me a special form to use, it can be downloaded from the Thai immigration site, this was at the same time I was finded for not reporting at 90 days, I thought that renewing my extension of stay would be the same as reporting,, but no you must go to two different counters and do the 90 day report and then go and do your extension of stay for the next 12 months, silly me, it me cost 2,000 Bath

Popcorn is correct. The overstay is for exceeding the period of a visa (most frequently occurs when on short, tourist visas), whereas late 90 day reporting is as the name suggests, reporting after the 90 period. Short-term tourist visas are usually too short to fall foul of the 90 day report window.

These two things are clearly very different, and different fines applicable to them, but people still seem to confuse the two.

If only a 500b fine was paid for being 1 day late for 90 day reporting, then that would be very unusual, since as stated in an earlier post, 1 week before and after the due date is permitted. If it really were the case, then the 500b was probably more of a "personal donation to the officer's tea fund".

Anyway, back to the topic in hand; the immigration department are not known for leniency in any cases. Even during the last coup, and the military lockdown, immigration operated as normal an expected people to comply as normal.

Can any one help?, can you do the 90 day reporting at any immigration office or does it have to be the one where you are resident. I ask as I live in Chiang Mai and will have to do my 90 just before New Year, last time it took forever. I will be traveling back from Bangkok week before New Year and could do it at Nakon Sawan where I used to do it when living there. It only takes a few minutes there even with a queue. Advice appreciated.

You can notify at Suan Plu here is Thai Immigration notice:

Due to flooding situation, Immigration Divition 3 including Ayuthaya, Patumthani and Nonthaburi provinces, now temporarily serve at Immigration Bureau in Soi Suanplu, Building 1, effecttive from 1 November 2011.

Sorry this year they have been sending notes clipped to the receipt stating that you must send 10 days before (and keep the EMS receipt) I tried 7 days as stated on Thai Immigration web site, and they went ballistic!

This is notification as shown on their website:

Copy of all passport pages (up to the latest arrival stamp in the Kingdom or latest visa stamp)

Copy of arrival/departure card TM.6 (front and back) click to view Example TM.6 card

Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any) click to view Example document

Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47 click to view Example document

Envelope with 5 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.

The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.

Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to

90 DAYS REGISTRATION,

IMMIGRATION DIVISION 1

120 MOO 3, CHAENGWATTANA ROAD,SOI 7,

LAKSI, BANGKOK. 10210

They told me if I mail in my 90 day report I must register it and post 15 days before it was due, they also gave me a special form to use, it can be downloaded from the Thai immigration site, this was at the same time I was finded for not reporting at 90 days, I thought that renewing my extension of stay would be the same as reporting,, but no you must go to two different counters and do the 90 day report and then go and do your extension of stay for the next 12 months, silly me, it me cost 2,000 Bath

Merlen, what office did that exchange occur at?

I think either you or the officer you spoke with was confused. The only 15 day issue that normally pertains to 90 day reports AFAIK is the notion that now you can submit in person the 90 day report that far in advance of the due date.... But there's nothing about requiring that a mail-in report be mailed that far ahead.

Separately, as you learned, 90 day reports and annual extensions of stay are separate requirements and procedures, each with their own forms and periodic due dates. Doing one's annual extension of stay doesn't take the place of a required 90 day report.... Though if you're lucky, the flexibility with the scheduling of the two sometimes can enable a person to do both during the same office visit.

And keep in mind, even though the 90 day reporting receipt a person gets from Immigration will have your next 90 day reporting due date stamped on it, that date changes and is superceded if you subsequently leave Thailand for any reason before that due date. When you return back into Thailand, a new 90 day clock starts then, regardless of the due date stamped on your prior receipt.

Re Estrada's post, I've had a different experience, I've done three mail in 90 day reports to Chaeng Wattana thus far this year, never mailed 10 days in advance, and never received any kind of warning back. But I did mail by EMS to be sure my envelope arrived well before the actual due date.

As for Suan Plu vs Chaeng Wattana, to the best of my knowledge, CW is still accepting mailed 90 day reports from BKK folks...even though they've lately allowed BKK folks doing in-person reporting to use the Suan Plu office because of the flooding at CW.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Can any one help?, can you do the 90 day reporting at any immigration office or does it have to be the one where you are resident. I ask as I live in Chiang Mai and will have to do my 90 just before New Year, last time it took forever. I will be traveling back from Bangkok week before New Year and could do it at Nakon Sawan where I used to do it when living there. It only takes a few minutes there even with a queue. Advice appreciated.

I expect you will have to do it at Chiang Mai. Here's a real world example of how another office will refuse to accept a 90 day report. Right now I've evacuated my Bangkok home due to flooding; staying in Nakorn Pathom right now with my 90 day report due 11 days from today. Last Friday I bumped into another expat who lives in Nakhon Pathom and he said he had just went to do his 90 day report at the Nakhon Pathom office but couldn't because it was closed/two feet of water around it. He said he was going to Kanchanaburi Immigration instead to do the report. So, I decided to tag along and off we go to the Kanchanaburi office on Friday.

They would not accept the 90 day report from either of us. They gave us the phone number of the Nakhon Pathom Immigration Office which has temporarily relocated to some rooms in a university in Nakorn Pathom. My new friend will have no problem doing his report there since he lives in Nakhon Pathom However, when the Thai wife and I called the office about my report they said I could do the report but first must file the form to change my residence to Nakhorn Pathom...they told me to bring along the Blue Book of my wife's mom since we are staying at the mom's house for a few weeks. OK, this change of address form is a one page form like the 90 day one page report form and I did such an address update once at Bangkok Immigration when my house address in Bangkok changed.

But I have decided rather than changing my residence to Nakhon Pathom and then having to change it back to Bangkok in a few weeks when I can get back to my home to Bangkok, I will just mail in my 90 report tomorrow to Bangkok Immigration via registered/EMS mail. I've always done my 90 day address reporting in person but this time I'll do the mail thing versus doing all this change of address stuff in order to accomplish the report in Nakhon Pathom. Oh, this 90 day reporting thing....it seems to be such a paperwork exercise and tree killer...but it's the law.

Why does this not come as a surprise. The country is deluged and all they care is how to make sure that each and every alien in the land understands, that THEY are in the driver's seat. I mail this useless load of crap registered all the time. If it gets there or not is NOT my problem as one government agency (the mail) can screw the other one (immigration). Seriously wondering what I am doing here sometimes ......

As suggested mail it in, I think that there is a seven day window for 90 day reporting, early or late. I have had an office accept my 90 day address reporting 3 weeks in advance, while I was there changing visa type, and I am sure there is a late reporting window.

Best way to use the Thai mail. Put an envelope in with a stamp and your address on it and they'll sent it back top you. Good luck! jap.gif

Why does this not come as a surprise. The country is deluged and all they care is how to make sure that each and every alien in the land understands, that THEY are in the driver's seat. I mail this useless load of crap registered all the time. If it gets there or not is NOT my problem as one government agency (the mail) can screw the other one (immigration). Seriously wondering what I am doing here sometimes ......

How can you blame the Immigration? I never had problems withthem, being here for 10 years. Some foreigners are good, some are bad. Guess italso counts for the Immigration…

The useless load of crap is just a formal law, no problemsby sending it via EMS…..jap.gif

Nothing surprises me anymore. I recently went in to do my 90 day and since my retirement extension expired in two weeks I decided to do both, I handed in all of the paperwwork and the officer handed back the 90 day form saying that since I was renewing my extension I didn;t need it. She also tore out the 90 day form in my passport and filed it in the trash can. I'vre often wondered what the immigration offices actually do with the 90 day slips

90 days WHY? Maybe once a year, but here in Thailand everything has to be duplicated and signed 3 times and then copied and then you have to do it all again in 90 days, what a stupid waste of time.... Went in to do my retirement visa and the person asked me "do I want to stay long time" <deleted>? no, I just stuck 800,000 baht in my savings account for 3 months earning no interest for the fun of it and no I just filled out all the paper work in triplicate for the fun of it, while she sat there rubber stamping about 100 of the kickback retirement visas that cost 15,000 baht.

Best way to use the Thai mail. Put an envelope in with a stamp and your address on it and they'll sent it back top you. Good luck! jap.gif

You are jesting now. I cannot get it through even with registered mail and no one knows why or where the letters are.Amazing Thailand indeed.

It will be your problem if immigration does not receive it. They won't give a rat's ass if you sent registered mail or whatever. If they do not get it in time, it is your responsibility.