Translation Needed...

Thai Chi

I am intrested in finding out what the Thai word which sounds like "LOOM" means. The context in which it is used is as follows. It is used by my wifes sister and some of my wifes closer friends when either refering to me eg "loom david wants some more beer?" or when talking directly to me eg "loom david, you want more beer?" When I first moved here 12 months ago, I can not remember this word being used. It seems to have crept into conversations only over the last 6 months or so. Please remember I am in Buriram, where Lao and Cambodian are often spoke, so it may not even be Thai :o Thanks.

Are you sure it's not 'loong'? ลุง

If it is, they are referring to you with a prefix/title that means 'uncle', a perfectly normal prefix used for family members and close friends who are of the age that they could be your uncle.

heheh.. :D methinks it must me 'loong'? ลุง

"loom david wants some more beer?"

ลุงเดวิด เอาเบียร์อีกไหมค่ะ/ครับ :D:o

If it is, they are referring to you with a prefix/title that means 'uncle', a perfectly normal prefix used for family members and close friends who are of the age that they could be your uncle.

Thanks MS :D I think thats the one. Today I listened a bit closer and it certainly sounded like 'loong' not 'loom' Considering that the people that use this word are only about 10 tears younger than me, I will consider it a compliment :D:D Actually I was hoping it meant " O great wise and handsome man from across the blue seas" :D:D:D

And thanks BambinA, but what is ลุงเดวิด เอาเบียร์อีกไหมค่ะ/ครับ :o:D

Actually I was hoping it meant " O great wise and handsome man from across the blue seas"

Be warned than on its own it can mean 'silly old man' or 'doddery old man' when referring to strangers.

Richard.

And ลุง is normally reserved for a man who is older than the speakers parents.

And ลุง is normally reserved for a man who is older than the speakers parents.

Maybe its not "Loong" after all. As I am no way older than the Parents of the people who use loong :o:D Just a thought :D What is the Thai word for BROTHER? or OLDER BROTHER.

Just a thought ermm.gif What is the Thai word for BROTHER? or OLDER BROTHER.

In Thai it would be พี่ 'pee' or พี่ชาย 'pee chaay'.

In Lao it's อ้าย 'aay'.

They could be using 'loong' jokingly as well, so don't get too paranoid. It's also possible they think you look older than Thai men your age, and so think 'loong' is more fitting. :o

The most important thing is to not jump to conclusions.

Any male who is older than the speaker..

Usually means Uncle in much the same way as we would call a parents friend Uncle or Auntie.

It is a term of respect and probably is indicative of your being accepted into the family

:o

If you were closer to the speakers age, then they might use the term "Pi"

Edited by gburns57au

Usually means Uncle in much the same way as we would call a parents friend Uncle or Auntie.

It is a term of respect and probably is indicative of your being accepted into the family

:D

Many thanks for all the replies guys and girls (BambiA) When I need something translated, I normally speak to an English speaking Thai who works for CAT here in Buriram. He has been away on a field trip for the last week, and thats why I asked here. He is now back, and confirms what most have said. Especially,Usually means Uncle in much the same way as we would call a parents friend Uncle or Auntie. & It is a term of respect and probably is indicative of your being accepted into the family That one gave me a warm fuzzy feeling :D And I must add, the Thai Language forum would have to be the most nicest and politest part of TV :o

:D

Many thanks for all the replies guys and girls (BambiA) When I need something translated, I normally speak to an English speaking Thai who works for CAT here in Buriram. He has been away on a field trip for the last week, and thats why I asked here. He is now back, and confirms what most have said. Especially,Usually means Uncle in much the same way as we would call a parents friend Uncle or Auntie. & It is a term of respect and probably is indicative of your being accepted into the family That one gave me a warm fuzzy feeling :D And I must add, the Thai Language forum would have to be the most nicest and politest part of TV :o

Thanks for the cred boost.....I have been given a bit of s**t here for some of my translations. :D