Thai Govt Consider Visa Fee Waiver To Help Rebuild Tourism

webfact

The only way tourism will come back is if the government lowers the baht like the dollar, euro and pound did the last 2 years.. A retour flight from Europe cost already 40,000 baht and then getting 40-41 baht for 1 euro makes the holiday to expensive, same for dollar and pound. :annoyed:

Why should the Thai Government pander to the UK and the USA? If these two and most other countries (with the exception of China and dare I say it Australia) couldn't manage their finances and were forced by the market to devalue their currencies, begging bowl in hand, why should Tailand bail them out? You also conveniently forget that if you bought property when the Thai baht was 70 to the pound you are sitting on a major windful profit if you sell at the current rate. Stop your whinging!

:sorry::violin:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..... the lowly tourist spending $1,000 bucks+ every month is being treated like crap.

Dont get disheartend, it's still a vely luvely countly and it's people are so genuinely amazing, just watch how they bear it all, and how hard all concerned agencies are working together to make this crisis a "walk in the park" for everyone, ah' this bit of water and those farangs always complaining, complaining, complaining, they don't know... and hey doesn't becoming a victim in favor of "high grade tourist" make you feel proud, to be singled out as someone who doesn't spend enough in less then 30 days to support this countries tourism industry?

I think it's great!

and now even more so look at all the money that will be needed to fill all these bags....and support the economy.

Yeah,the villagers thought it great when I bought that fridge and Isuzu for them.

All those trips to the gold shop when I got 5,000 baht of love in return.

All those cases of Chang or Leo and boxes of chicken and sacks of rice out into the paddies.

Untold guest houses,restaurants and tuk tuk fares for visa runs.

Times that by tens of thousands of PT's that got told to get out-politely.

Then add inthe $1,000 /month in personal expenses.

It all adds up to something more than just keenyow felang.

Truck sales must be down.

Edited by maxbentley

Also would be a good idea to get rid of the racket of charging Bht150 for using a foreign ATM card

I agree. That's a killer particularly with the poor exchange rate as I can only withdraw the equivalent of 300 UKP per day. And now banks in the UK have put up their charges for using cards in foreign atms.

I get round it by sending a large sum to a "friendly" bank account in Thailand by SWIFT bank transfer. A one off 25 UKP fee for however much I want to send and the exchange rate is a lot better too. All done on the internet too boot. :rolleyes:

Metrobank dont charge for foreign withdrawls (£300 a day ) their SWIFT rate is £17.50. I believe halifax rate for SWIFT is £9.50. Every little hepls,

Whatever is said about visa help, somehow it never seems to be the visa I want that the help is for, or the time window will have shut when I next want one and the Thai air offer will be nowhere to be found when I want to fly, I have got used to that now. Maybe I will have a nice suprise one day!

Do the Mafia get special treatment with travel and visas if so I might join :ph34r: I would be looking for more than a free trip to Koh Lan or it would not be worth the effort

Edited by exeter

Don't know what backward country you live in but I am sure they are not as easy to get into as Thailand for a holiday. The very fact you have been doing it off and on for eight years shows how easy it is.

Thailand is looking to attract tourists not expats it has lot's of them already. You really should read the post before you kick your mindless bashing in to gear.

Most expats have a full brain and have other types of visa's You on the other hand

Give your brain a rest,pal.

I left when they changed the visa rules years ago.

I already listed the countries and if you can put your computer in to gear you can actually read the costs and visa fees I provide you.

Thailand has the Russian Mafia now.

I have plenty of friends in Thailand that keep me informed as to what is and is not happening.

I never paid for a visa on arrival, so what is the difference??:

I lived in Thailand off and on for eight years.

I left when the visa restrictions became an issue of ignorance or worse.

The Kingdom has the Russian Mafia operating freely but the lowly tourist spending $1,000 bucks+ every month is being treated like crap.

Thailand blew it.

The Russian Mafia isn't operating freely, quite the contrary - undoubtedly large sums flow to certain officials.

As for "Thailand blew it" - consider that Tourism is only 6% of Thailand's GDP. 6% is not nothing - but it's also not the most important thing on the government's mind.

The thing that they should do immediately is waive the overstay and failure to report fees that foreigners stuck in the flood are currently facing. They obviously came here because they like Thailand and if Thailand charges them fines because of the flood how will it affect their desire to return and what they say to other people.

My thoughts exactly.

I never paid for a visa on arrival, so what is the difference??:

I lived in Thailand off and on for eight years.

I left when the visa restrictions became an issue of ignorance or worse.

The Kingdom has the Russian Mafia operating freely but the lowly tourist spending $1,000 bucks+ every month is being treated like crap.

Thailand blew it.

The Russian Mafia isn't operating freely, quite the contrary - undoubtedly large sums flow to certain officials.

As for "Thailand blew it" - consider that Tourism is only 6% of Thailand's GDP. 6% is not nothing - but it's also not the most important thing on the government's mind.

You forgot another 10% for daily fleecing of expats. :lol:

The only way tourism will come back is if the government lowers the baht like the dollar, euro and pound did the last 2 years.. A retour flight from Europe cost already 40,000 baht and then getting 40-41 baht for 1 euro makes the holiday to expensive, same for dollar and pound. :annoyed:

Also would be a good idea to get rid of the racket of charging Bht150 for using a foreign ATM card

Good News .... AEON bank does not charge the B150 but there in not that many ATMs - none at the airport, one in Pattaya etc check it out!

Bunter

Agree it's incredible how over valued the Thai baht is . Seems because of problems with europe and USA economy they think they can continue being overvalued , but they maybe wrong. No Car Production for 6 months at least and a big downturn in growth should change things.

Edited by KKvampire

Sure free tourist visa .... but the non immi O visa will rise in price AGAIN !!!!

Of course the non immi o's don't bring in the big money!

I just want to take my big money out!

I hope the baht stays firm , so that I can get my money back home and put it in gold.

So the heavily discounted flights on Thai will be similar to the normal fares offered by Air Asia...just another lot of hot air really.

Exactly, that doesn't seem like it will have any great effect. Cheaper fares into the country would be more value I would imagine.cool.gif

As 65 year old Australian Farangs we would stay for longer with a decent length free visa, now its simpler just to stay 30 days and go to Malaysia when we have worn out our welcome.

For certain categories of citizens who can prove their income can support them overseas should be invited to spend more money in Thailand.

The current policy and the scam 3 month visa is just not worth the trouble.

Easier to stay longer in Malaysia - thats where we are now - the hotel here gets my A$600 for two weeks that would otherwise would have been spent in Thailand - our 30 Days ended 30 Oct - so off we go to Malaysia where we are welcome for 3 months.

Bunter B)

Well now it may disappoint you to learn that the value of the Thai Baht is not solely determined by manipulation and whim of Thai government and financial institutions. Consider that Thailand is now the second largest economy in Southeast Asia, next to Indonesia. Consider that the GDP grew 21% in 2009 and 8% in 2010. Take a look at the great upswing in bond prices and the high growth of Thai exchange traded funds. The strength of the Baht is influenced by these things. Thailand is considered to be an emerging industrial nation and it is kicking-ass.

Or if you wish you can just fall back on the old favorite and blame us dam_n Yanks. The US Dollar Index is down 12.5% since June of last year and it is only looking as good as it is because it began to rally in the beginning of Sept. Dollar goes down and exchange rates weaken.

I do not like getting less bang for my buck either but whatyagonna do? Tell them they should stop with all the automotive and electronics and sell only rice, textiles and tours? :wai:

They really should get a clue! They would definitely stimulate a lot more tourism by making the 30 day stamps 60 day stamps (or even 90) for both air and land entries!

This is not radical. Lots of other tourism friendly countries do similar, such as in Latin America.

Consider this very typical situation of the OP in this thread:

He's got to learn complex visa rules and will likely spend less time in Thailand on his trip because of it. Think how many people like him just say forget about it, it's too complicated.

Its so easy to do, yet they won't do it.

Edited by Jingthing

Good News .... AEON bank does not charge the B150 but there in not that many ATMs - none at the airport, one in Pattaya etc check it out!

Bunter

Actually there are 3 locations in Pattaya that I know of that have Aeon bank facilities.

1)Outside the Home Pro next to Big C Pattaya Tai

2)On the 1st floor of the newly named Big C "extra"

3)Inside the AEON banking center at the Lotus on Pattaya Neu

Thailand does itself no favor by demanding a visa at all. I can imagine that the Thai government wants a visa when visitors of poorer countries show up. Demanding a visa from visitors from most developed countries is contra productive, the only reason the Thai government demands visas is because Thailand is a de facto police state in which each and every visitor must be registered, photographed and can possible be followed.

Another absurd rule is that foreigners cannot buy any land, that is not really beneficial to the economy either. The Royalists are probably afraid that Thai-land is stolen. Those elitist own of course plenty of land abroad, but that is an entirely different story. Maybe in a few years when the old guard is sleeping forever, Thailand can be modernized and dragged out of the dark ages.

Well now it may disappoint you to learn that the value of the Thai Baht is not solely determined by manipulation and whim of Thai government and financial institutions. Consider that Thailand is now the second largest economy in Southeast Asia, next to Indonesia. Consider that the GDP grew 21% in 2009 and 8% in 2010. Take a look at the great upswing in bond prices and the high growth of Thai exchange traded funds. The strength of the Baht is influenced by these things. Thailand is considered to be an emerging industrial nation and it is kicking-ass.

Or if you wish you can just fall back on the old favorite and blame us dam_n Yanks. The US Dollar Index is down 12.5% since June of last year and it is only looking as good as it is because it began to rally in the beginning of Sept. Dollar goes down and exchange rates weaken.

I do not like getting less bang for my buck either but whatyagonna do? Tell them they should stop with all the automotive and electronics and sell only rice, textiles and tours? :wai:

Isn't the issue here, about how the Thai government would devalue its currency?

Surely no one is suggesting, after all the pain the country suffered in the late 90's, that they would legislate to turn back the hands of time, and move to a managed or fixed regime.

Like Australia (my home country) it is supply and demand that dictates the exchange rate in a floating currency. At the moment there is much less demand for the euro, dollar and pound and more demand for emerging economies currencies. The BOT could sell the baht down but that would be highly unlikely, only have short term results, and perhaps even be irresponsible.

Sorry guys you're whinging about the wrong government, write to your own governments and tell them to get their sh-t sorted then your currencies will resurge against the baht.

Three years ago I was getting 50c Aussie against the US dollar, a couple of months ago it reached 1.10 thats the markets. In Australia, we are lucky we have a big country with a lot of stuff in the ground.biggrin.gif

That'll bring them "flooding" back in :whistling:

like the quote_the thai goverment should waver the high fees for visa---i pay double entry in the uk -still have to leave kingdom after 60 days------travel etc pang mak mak!!!!!

as a tourist living 6 months here_6 months uk..............its very annoying.................visa runs- this will not bring tourism back to thailand but will help us farrang who spend thousands of pounds here in thailand helping keep the ecconomy afloat,. its the banks who set the rate-----they have had it to good for the last couple years............whilst everywhere been in recession and will continue in recession for the next 2years----thailand has remained strong...........next year that will change-----------------to many properties being built----and no customers------------------same as bars!!!!!

--------------------------

I agree. That's a killer particularly with the poor exchange rate as I can only withdraw the equivalent of 300 UKP per day. And now banks in the UK have put up their charges for using cards in foreign atms.

I get round it by sending a large sum to a "friendly" bank account in Thailand by SWIFT bank transfer. A one off 25 UKP fee for however much I want to send and the exchange rate is a lot better too. All done on the internet too boot. :rolleyes:

Metrobank dont charge for foreign withdrawls (£300 a day ) their SWIFT rate is £17.50. I believe halifax rate for SWIFT is £9.50. Every little hepls,

That's useful info for many readers of this forum I'm sure. But not for me (but thanks anyway :rolleyes: ). I'm not going to change my very reliable online banking to save a few quid especially when I'm sending £5000 to Thailand. SWIFT transfers to Thailand now only take one working day. Not long ago it took almost 2 weeks. A few years ago I bought a house in Thailand from money withdrawn from atms. Cost and arm & leg in 150 baht fees! But the house was cheap so I reckoned it was worth it. At that time I couldn't do SWIFT transfers online and I was already in Thailand.

As 65 year old Australian Farangs we would stay for longer with a decent length free visa, now its simpler just to stay 30 days and go to Malaysia when we have worn out our welcome.

I'm not so worried about the "free" bit of the visa. Alongside the other costs of coming to Thailand like flights and (UK) air passenger duty the visa fees don't amount to much. What annoys me is I have to leave the country after 2 months. I come on a double entry visa for 4 months and like you I go to Malaysia in between. Why can't I just go to an immigration office and "cash in" my unusued visa entry for further 60 days' stay without having to leave the country? It's crazy. If I want to extend my visa for 30 days I can do that at the immigation office. It would be so simple.

"Piyasvati Amranand, president of Thai Airways International, said the airline would offer fares that are 47-58 per cent cheaper under the "Southern Thailand Flood Relief" promotion. The promotion, introduced yesterday, runs until December 10."

I just check for koh Samui and the price is still the same !................................

"Piyasvati Amranand, president of Thai Airways International, said the airline would offer fares that are 47-58 per cent cheaper under the "Southern Thailand Flood Relief" promotion. The promotion, introduced yesterday, runs until December 10."

I just check for koh Samui and the price is still the same !................................

Oups, sorry, more 6 460 baths ....................................

Thai Airlines announces that under it's new promotion, it will reduce it's Bangkok - Samui route from 6,360 bt., to 2,930 baht. Well, this is going from the aeronautical stratosphere, to somewhere closer to reality. Was ANYONE buying those $6,360 baht tickets? And we thought Bangkok Air was unreasonable. Well, the AOT had better do something. The high season is approaching, and the work to be done to rehabilitate Thailand's reputation at this point, is Herculean, to say the least. First the coup, then the disastrous coup administration, the the administration of the yellow shirts (does anyone remember Samak?), then the Pattaya riots at the international meetings of heads of state, then the airport takeover by the yellow bellies, then the international outcry and subsequent BBC airings of the documentaries about the jet ski scam operators, and the King Power scam, then the red shirt demonstrations, that shut down the capital for 7 weeks, and now the floods. What else can happen to Thailand? Is there anyone competent enough in the AOT to do what needs to be done to revive the tourist sector? Free visas is the least they can do. What about arresting people like the director of the Samui Immigration office, for his constant request for bribes? What about ousting the Samui mayor, for his tremendous level of incompetence, that is driving tourists away by the thousands. There is so much to be done. Where to start?

Good post Mike, my compliments ,only someone who was mentally disarranged would disagree with your musings :) :)

Do these idiots actually think the majority of tourists decide upon where they take their vacations based upon the tourist visa fees ?

OK we know they aren'ttalking about us expats and the English teachers making the monthly visa runs. We're already hooked.

Who pays visa fees here anyway? Pakistanis ? Nigerians? Bosnians?

Edited by rogerdee123

Malaysia:

- 90 days visa when entering, you just get out the country for 3 days and come back for 90 days.

- possible to get a 10 years resident permit easily (New rules for attracting professionals with high expertise)

- possible to buy one house in you name with loans from local banks

- population speaking english at 98%

So, more and more people are retiring in Malaysia under a scheme named "Malaysia second Home" and all those people with income above average spend their money locally....

For Tourism Thailand, ..... look what are doing your neighbours.