Removal Of Don Muang Airport Big Bag Barriers Draws Condemnation

Lite Beer

I'm not in a dry zone, it's <deleted> outside my place but I don't see the wisdom in ripping out the big bags and inundating inner Bangkok infrastructure. There are dry places in Thailand to go and the if the angry people can't afford to go to them, or don't have family or friends to stay with, the government has set up temporary shelters. There is no excuse to be making problems in flood stricken areas. The government hasn't handled the floods well and has had bad communication with the people, but still, don't take matters into your own hands. Again, "The demands of the big picture is more important in extended close proximity societies, even if you don't like the little picture in your life".

These people in the North feel s_hit upon, and quite literally are made to swim in it so Gaysorn Plaza can keep on selling Gucci and YSL. They hear and see Yingluck and Sukhumbund on TV celebrating and patting themselves on their own backs for keeping the flood out of Sukhumvit and Sathorn. They rejoice that they have kept inner Bangkok dry. They offer the people who have sacrificed their homes and lives a meager 5000 Baht for their sacrifice, feeling good about themselves as they stroll through Paragon and Emporium.

And you wonder why these people forced to stew in a sea of human feces for weeks on end so hi so mamas and big so daddies can keep their toes dry are angry?

I'll bet there are more that a few red shirts out there wondering just which side Yingluck is on...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not in a dry zone, it's <deleted> outside my place but I don't see the wisdom in ripping out the big bags and inundating inner Bangkok infrastructure. There are dry places in Thailand to go and the if the angry people can't afford to go to them, or don't have family or friends to stay with, the government has set up temporary shelters. There is no excuse to be making problems in flood stricken areas. The government hasn't handled the floods well and has had bad communication with the people, but still, don't take matters into your own hands. Again, "The demands of the big picture is more important in extended close proximity societies, even if you don't like the little picture in your life".

These people in the North feel s_hit upon, and quite literally are made to swim in it so Gaysorn Plaza can keep on selling Gucci and YSL. They hear and see Yingluck and Sukhumbund on TV celebrating and patting themselves on their own backs for keeping the flood out of Sukhumvit and Sathorn. They rejoice that they have kept inner Bangkok dry. They offer the people who have sacrificed their homes and lives a meager 5000 Baht for their sacrifice, feeling good about themselves as they stroll through Paragon and Emporium.

And you wonder why these people forced to stew in a sea of human feces for weeks on end so hi so mamas and big so daddies can keep their toes dry are angry?

I'll bet there are more that a few red shirts out there wondering just which side Yingluck is on...

The dry side!

Police force guarding Don Mueang big-bag wall boosted to 300

The Metropolitan Police Bureau has reinforced policemen guarding the Don Mueang big-bag floodwall, increasing their number to 300, Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Maj Gen Piya Uthayo said.

Piya said the policemen would prevent people upstream and downstream of the floodwall from crashing.

However, police would not try to arrest local people if they would demolish the big-bag wall.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-14

Why do so many that are calling for the flooding of Bangkok think that there are ONLY hi-so shopping malls there?

The Metropolitan Police Bureau has reinforced policemen guarding the Don Mueang big-bag floodwall, increasing their number to 300, Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Maj Gen Piya Uthayo said.

Piya said the policemen would prevent people upstream and downstream of the floodwall from crashing.

However, police would not try to arrest local people if they would demolish the big-bag wall.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-14

police will not arrest people if they would demolish the wall.Why are they there?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-14

police will not arrest people if they would demolish the wall.Why are they there?

To watch the people demolish of course

Why do so many that are calling for the flooding of Bangkok think that there are ONLY hi-so shopping malls there?

Because that's the only places they go.

I wonder if those now calling to break the barriers to their South were also calling to break the barriers to their North before they were flooded. I mean, the point is letting the water flow as freely as possible, no?

I wasn't calling at all at that time because i had no idea what was coming thanks to the government. But yes barriers that cause others to flood longer should have been torn down.

Its just totally unfair to sacrifice people without real compensation.

Id say live a week in a really flooded area (1,5m) and then come back and post on the forum.

I am one of the "lucky" ones, had only 70 cm in my streets and 20 in the house.

Rob, I took my daughter on an educational trip through flooded Thailand this weekend. Here's part of the traffic report;

... Had to turn left toward Lopburi 15 km before hitting sai Asia as a bridge ahead was closed due to flood damage. No flooding yet but a right turn onto 3028 taking me out on sai Asia South of Singburi took me straight through affected areas. Lot's of people camping out on the roads, huge lakes as far as the eye could see, saw people wading in chest high water, unpleasant smell all around. The administration seem to have done something good up there because I saw drinking water tanks on the road every km or closer even

The government needs to spend money to build up again. 40% of GDP in Thailand and more than 40% of the net income the government has comes from Bangkok. I find it very selfish to sacrifice the governments ability to help building up the lives of the people in the enormous flood damaged areas to do what? Help a group of people north of the barrier? I also find it childish to think that compensation will happen to the same extent if the governments income is reduced drastically. GDP shrinking is really hurting the poor in this country more than any other group

I taught my 7 year old daughter to understand the importance of the broader picture, in fact, she probably understands it better than the people living north of the barrier now. I told her about all the schools that needed to be repaired (we past a few of them), all the new books and materials needed

It's a sad fact of live but it is still a fact, MONEY decides what must be done, hence, the big bag barrier must stay, it's height managed considering the greater good of this country, not a bunch of people living to the north of it

It's not that - I'm wet too but you are more wet than I am Rob, that's just childish reasoning. It's for the greater good for this country, especially for the poor, like it or not

Especially for the poor!? Cammom dude. NOBODY DID EVER GIVE A SH EIT ABOUT THE POOR AND THE FACTORYSLAVES in this country. Like in Myammar or Cambodia. Thats wishful thinking of the dryfeet.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-14

Photo Op

These photos will have captions about how the police helped flood victims

Because that's how they justify their thinking/actions. It's pretty ridiculous and childish. The police being asked not to arrest people is likened to begging a five year old to stop playing with a lighter while at the same time the parent refuses not to give the kid a swat on the bum when child refuses listen.

Will Yingluck punish Karun for leading the tearing down of the bags, against her order and pretending he did so with her blessing, or will he continue to go around doing whatever he wants without any consequences?

In an incident not directly related to Karun's mob dismantling the dam walls, but a young man was arrested yesterday for punching Karun in the mouth which required suturing on Thursday.

His complaint was that Karun was running a jet ski at a high speed which sent big waves that swamped the small rescue boat he and others were riding in.

In an ensuing argument, he admitted to smacking Karun.

The young man has been charged with assault and released.

In my eyes he is a Hero!!!

I wonder if those now calling to break the barriers to their South were also calling to break the barriers to their North before they were flooded. I mean, the point is letting the water flow as freely as possible, no?

I wasn't calling at all at that time because i had no idea what was coming thanks to the government. But yes barriers that cause others to flood longer should have been torn down.

Id say live a week in a really flooded area (1,5m) and then come back and post on the forum.

Rob, I took my daughter on an educational trip through flooded Thailand this weekend. Here's part of the traffic report;

... Had to turn left toward Lopburi 15 km before hitting sai Asia as a bridge ahead was closed due to flood damage. No flooding yet but a right turn onto 3028 taking me out on sai Asia South of Singburi took me straight through affected areas. Lot's of people camping out on the roads, huge lakes as far as the eye could see, saw people wading in chest high water, unpleasant smell all around. The administration seem to have done something good up there because I saw drinking water tanks on the road every km or closer even

The government needs to spend money to build up again. 40% of GDP in Thailand and more than 40% of the net income the government has comes from Bangkok. I find it very selfish to sacrifice the governments ability to help building up the lives of the people in the enormous flood damaged areas to do what? Help a group of people north of the barrier? I also find it childish to think that compensation will happen to the same extent if the governments income is reduced drastically. GDP shrinking is really hurting the poor in this country more than any other group

I taught my 7 year old daughter to understand the importance of the broader picture, in fact, she probably understands it better than the people living north of the barrier now. I told her about all the schools that needed to be repaired (we past a few of them), all the new books and materials needed

It's a sad fact of live but it is still a fact, MONEY decides what must be done, hence, the big bag barrier must stay, it's height managed considering the greater good of this country, not a bunch of people living to the north of it

It's not that - I'm wet too but you are more wet than I am Rob, that's just childish reasoning. It's for the greater good for this country, especially for the poor, like it or not

What i am asking for is not the flooding of BKK. But a payup of BKK for the suffering these people undergo on their behalf. Everybody is saying BKK is the heart of the country loads of money is made there. Then tax them once for keeping dry, to help those suffering on their behalf.

I see the bigger picture, but people here only see survival of BKK for free. The 5000bt is crazy. I asking this for the people of Don Muang not where i am. These people directly are sacrificed for BKK. Like i am saying the greater good is not a one way street.

If BKK is that important its inhabitants can surely payout more then the 5k a house they are offering now.

So dont flood BKK but BKK pay up because your sacrificing others. If the government does not have enough money a special BKK tax could be setup. Its the least BKK could do.

But here people will say that is wrong, and they don't want to pay.

What i am asking for is not the flooding of BKK. But a payup of BKK for the suffering these people undergo on their behalf. Everybody is saying BKK is the heart of the country loads of money is made there. Then tax them once for keeping dry, to help those suffering on their behalf.

I see the bigger picture, but people here only see survival of BKK for free. The 5000bt is crazy. I asking this for the people of Don Muang not where i am. These people directly are sacrificed for BKK. Like i am saying the greater good is not a one way street.

If BKK is that important its inhabitants can surely payout more then the 5k a house they are offering now.

So dont flood BKK but BKK pay up because your sacrificing others. If the government does not have enough money a special BKK tax could be setup. Its the least BKK could do.

But here people will say that is wrong, and they don't want to pay.

+1

FROC Director: Don Muang residents accept conditions, allow Big Bag barrier repair, open 6m gap for boat access; press conference with BKK governor /Mcot

WHAT! how can they say this rubbish in public

One thing for sure we have learned through all this. With PM Yingluck there is absolutely no flip flopping. Her word is her bond. The problem is she has a different word every day.

As it happens, much of the government money for the bailout will have already been contributed by Bangkok. As it happens, the tax base is heavily based here. But I would happily consign the government's cockamamie car-rebate scheme fund, rice middleman subsidy fund, computer pads for children fund, and other pork barrel kickback projects (also funded by the long-suffering Bangkok taxpayer) to flood relief instead. While they're at it, take all the funds confiscated from Thaksin and use them for flood relief. Also, the entire budget of the police department for the next 10 years.

Agreement?

As it happens, much of the government money for the bailout will have already been contributed by Bangkok. As it happens, the tax base is heavily based here. But I would happily consign the government's cockamamie car-rebate scheme fund, rice middleman subsidy fund, computer pads for children fund, and other pork barrel kickback projects (also funded by the long-suffering Bangkok taxpayer) to flood relief instead. While they're at it, take all the funds confiscated from Thaksin and use them for flood relief. Also, the entire budget of the police department for the next 10 years.

Agreement?

Sure i am not pro this government anyway. I just feel its really not enough to sacrifice people and then only pay them 5k. You have to offer them something so there is hope. Now the only hope they have is tearing down the wall so they will be dry earlier.

Don Mueang residents OK "Big Bag" dyke repairs: FROC director

image_20111114155641A14AEA8C-D965-00FA-3EEE54C0A75E3280.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 14 - Disgruntled residents of Bangkok's Don Mueang district finally agree to allow repairs to giant sandbag "Big Bag" barriers they dismantled earlier to release floodwater from the area, said Pol Gen Pracha Promnog, director of the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) on Monday.

Gen Pracha disclosed the agreement after some sections of the 1-2 tonne sandbag barriers were dismantled Sunday by angry residents affected by surging floodwater. The flood-prevention dyke implemented to slow the deluge from overflowing into inner Bangkok meant higher water for those on the other side of the barrier.

The flood response agency chief said agencies concerned, including the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), the Metropolitan Police and the local residents, reached a solution when they met today. The residents agreed that they will not mobilise again to dismantle the barriers and that they will allow city workers to repair the damaged dykes.

Gen Pracha however stated that a six-metre gap will be left as it is for boat passage.

The FROC director added he will discuss the ‘Big Bag’ issue with Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra this afternoon and will hold a joint news conference afterward.

FROC spokesman Pol Maj Gen Pongsapat Pongcharoen asserted the barrier is considered state property which should not be damaged by anyone.

At the same time he recognised that the Don Mueang resident have been seriously affected and talks on rehabilitation and compensation are needed to meet acceptable conditions of all concerned people, the centre spokesperson said.

The authorities do not want to take legal action against the residents, Gen Pongsapat said. “We understand their grievances, but we cannot permit destruction of state property." (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-14

FROC Director: Don Muang residents accept conditions, allow Big Bag barrier repair, open 6m gap for boat access; press conference with BKK governor /Mcot

WHAT! how can they say this rubbish in public

One thing for sure we have learned through all this. With PM Yingluck there is absolutely no flip flopping. Her word is her bond. The problem is she has a different word every day.

Exactly, we all be better of if she goes to Paris and do some shopping.:annoyed:

Agreement?

100%