Singha Blames Distribution Problems For Lack Of Drinking Water: Thailand

webfact

Singha blames distribution problems for lack of drinking water

KWANCHAI RUNGFAPAISARN

THE NATION

Singha Corp is attributing the shortage of drinking water to a disruption in logistics caused by floods, which it says is preventing it from delivering the much-needed goods to clients.

Chatchai Wiratyosin, marketing director for Singha beer, said the firm had no production problems - the only problem is that the beer and drinking water cannot be delivered to retailers and distribution centres.

Massive flooding has had an impact on the company's operating costs, especially in terms of logistics management and distribution, though it is expected to be a short-term problem. Singha Corp said that it will absorb the rising costs and has no plans to push that burden on to consumers.

"However, we cannot stop retailers from increasing the price," Chatchai said, adding that the company's arch rival, Thai Beverage, was also suffering from the same problems.

Meanwhile, Singha Corp managed to recently retrieve more than a million bottles from its two plants in Ayutthaya and will be selling them in Bangkok this month, with all proceeds going to charity.

Chatchai said that about 80 to 90 per cent of the drinking water being produced by the company has been donated to help flood victims in many affected areas. He added that the company's bottled-water plants in the provinces, including those in Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Surat Thani and Nakhon Pathom, were running at full capacity. So far, the factory in Pathum Thani is the only one that has had to be closed.

"The only problem is that we cannot deliver the goods to retailers and our distribution centres. Many routes in Bangkok and the suburbs have been closed or blocked by floods," he said.

He added that the shortage could also be blamed upon consumers who have been buying up and hoarding bottled water and other basic necessities out of sheer panic.

Chatchai said the company was sending trucks around Bangkok and its outskirts to sell packs of six 1.5-litre bottles of drinking water at Bt60 each.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-14

Chatchai said that about 80 to 90 per cent of the drinking water being produced by the company has been donated to help flood victims

Chatchai said the company was sending trucks around Bangkok and its outskirts to sell packs of six 1.5-litre bottles of drinking water at Bt60 each.

Chatchai said that about 80 to 90 per cent of the drinking water being produced by the company has been donated to help flood victims

and your point is ?

(up to 20% is available for sale....)

What about getting some of the "million bottles recovered in Ayutthaya" To Ayutthaya folk, Real shortage here and having to rely on a water lorry that comes around occassionally to fill up your own water bottles, and it must be even worse out in the villages here.

Why does it take a company over a month to sort out distribution problems?

The 4 supermarkets near me are not flooded. Why don't they have water?

Let me guess.. roads are impassable. (roads between your store and where water is stored or made).

Let me guess.. roads are impassable. (roads between your store and where water is stored or made).

Oh. OK. I didn't realise that Singha's distribution facilities were completely surrounded by flood waters, because the stores in my area have got no access problems. :huh:

Edited by whybother

Oh. OK. I didn't realise that Singha's distribution facilities were completely surrounded by flood waters, because the stores in my area have got no access problems. :huh:

Oh right. So there's a magical road between Singha's factory and your unflooded favorite supermarket?

Oh right. So there's a magical road between Singha's factory and your unflooded favorite supermarket?

According to him there is.

The fact that production/distribution of this vital supply hasn't been fast-tracked by the gov't to the top of their priority list SHOULD be a scandal in itself. If necessary, the army should temporarily be assigned to expedite it- I would suggest the police, who don't seem to have much to do (as usual), but I would actually want the job to be done.

the firm had no production problems - the only problem is that the beer and drinking water cannot be delivered to retailers and distribution centres.

That's settled then - here I was thinking that the shortage was just due to a lack of foresight, or a crisis management strategy, or a business continuity plan, which industry leaders are expected to have in place in order to protect consumer, shareholder and employee interests. :ermm:

Obviously there isn't, otherwise there would be water at my "unflooded favorite supermarket" :rolleyes: and also at many other supermarkets in Bangkok and elsewhere.

But last I checked, there were no problems with getting to Bangkok from Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Surat Thani AND Nakhon Pathom.

Even IF the usual roads that they might use are flooded, does it take them a month to look at a map and find an alternative route?

Obviously there isn't, otherwise there would be water at my "unflooded favorite supermarket" :rolleyes: and also at many other supermarkets in Bangkok and elsewhere.

But last I checked, there were no problems with getting to Bangkok from Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Surat Thani AND Nakhon Pathom.

Even IF the usual roads that they might use are flooded, does it take them a month to look at a map and find an alternative route?

You should get out more my friend. Maybe then you will see how bad the roads are and how slow travel is. I just did a couple of hours over a 5km stretch getting some food from the Big C.

Things is road travel is not fast now even if roads are open they are partly submerged and its just not easy. I am on the road that they want to salvage (saw them dumping in stuff on sides of the road). I have no idea how it will work.

You should get out more my friend. Maybe then you will see how bad the roads are and how slow travel is. I just did a couple of hours over a 5km stretch getting some food from the Big C.

Things is road travel is not fast now even if roads are open they are partly submerged and its just not easy. I am on the road that they want to salvage (saw them dumping in stuff on sides of the road). I have no idea how it will work.

Yes. I know there are some flooded and damaged roads. And I understand that there would be problems to get to areas that are, or have been, flooded.

But they aren't all flooded and damaged and there are ways around flooded and damaged roads that don't take an extra month.

I don't see why there is a lack of water and beer at locations that are still easily accessible.

Yes. I know there are some flooded and damaged roads. And I understand that there would be problems to get to areas that are, or have been, flooded.

But they aren't all flooded and damaged and there are ways around flooded and damaged roads that don't take an extra month.

I don't see why there is a lack of water and beer at locations that are still easily accessible.

Come on your not stupid, its not about your location. But the location of the storage and production of the products you want.

Normally things would go through distribution centers, now those are flooded or cut off. Many big chains are not really flexible the smaller shops have it easier they just get their stuff somewhere else.

Come on your not stupid, its not about your location. But the location of the storage and production of the products you want.

Normally things would go through distribution centers, now those are flooded or cut off. Many big chains are not really flexible the smaller shops have it easier they just get their stuff somewhere else.

And just where do you think the smaller shops get it from? When the Singha water trucks stopped coming, the small grocers here drove 180 km round-trip to buy from...Tesco. And that's where they got the toilet paper and paper towels to re-stock the shelves, and soda and beer. And they kept their prices the same, or raised them by 2 baht/bottle at the most. But when Tesco ran out, they ran out as well. So we're sitting around, in a road- and airport-accessible part of the country, hoping that the supply chain will be re-established.

It was on another thread in TVF that 7-11s in my area are being stocked by their regional distribution centre in Khon Kaen. Guess what - my 7-11 has some cigarettes. All the cooler and frozen cases are empty. They manage to get bread and cheese, of all things. The staff has nought to do.

It's nothing to do with "my location". It's to do with any location that isn't flooded.

The location of the production is not an issue. They've said that they have production running at full capacity at a number of locations.

Tesco-Lotus set up a distribution centre at BITEC. If the other big retailers have not set up alternative distribution centres (if they even needed them), then WHY NOT? They've had weeks to sort that out.

There is no excuse for the big producers (that are still producing) or the big retailers to still have distribution problems at this stage. Unless a store is in a flooded location, distribution is not the reason for there to be a lack of supply.

Edited by whybother

It's nothing to do with "my location". It's to do with any location that isn't flooded.

The location of the production is not an issue. They've said that they have production running at full capacity at a number of locations.

Tesco-Lotus set up a distribution centre at BITEC. If the other big retailers have not set up alternative distribution centres (if they even needed them), then WHY NOT? They've had weeks to sort that out.

There is no excuse for the big producers (that are still producing) or the big retailers to still have distribution problems at this stage. Unless a store is in a flooded location, distribution is not the reason for there to be a lack of supply.

I can tell you one thing, the food water whatever is not here. Supermarkets are empty here.

You just shot your own argument, distribution is not the problem but only Tesco has set up an alternative the others have not. So it could be a problem for the others.

I can tell you one thing, the food water whatever is not here. Supermarkets are empty here.

You just shot your own argument, distribution is not the problem but only Tesco has set up an alternative the others have not. So it could be a problem for the others.

I am not arguing that they aren't having problems. What I am saying is that they shouldn't be having problems.

Obviously it IS a problem because the supermarket shelves are empty, NOT just in flooded areas.

If the others haven't set up alternatives, THEN WHY NOT?? They should have had alternative locations set up within a couple of weeks. If they had any BCP plans, they would have had an alternative location set up in a matter of days.

I am not arguing that they aren't having problems. What I am saying is that they shouldn't be having problems.

Obviously it IS a problem because the supermarket shelves are empty, NOT just in flooded areas.

If the others haven't set up alternatives, THEN WHY NOT?? They should have had alternative locations set up within a couple of weeks. If they had any BCP plans, they would have had an alternative location set up in a matter of days.

Of course they should have.. but please remember where you live. I am really impressed that our 711 in a flooded area gets some supplies. Also a people are bringing vegetables eggs and stuff to Bangyai and started their own market there. I was amazed what i could get there. Its flooded there. So it must has something to do with rigid corporate structures.

This is simply nothing more to do with than a company in Thailand, not understanding how far it should go to serve its customers. Now of course, we are told, that for some strange reason, that Thai company's are supposed to instinctively know how to serve their thai clients better than foreign companies. They are special, privileged and better, and yet the mere fact that they are protected from competition, means that they cannot react. They can't, will not and are unable to move quick enough.

This is Thailand's problem. If they want the companies to move quicker, allow more companies into the business and wake up these giants from their slumber and make them suffer if their don't deliver.

The fact that production/distribution of this vital supply hasn't been fast-tracked by the gov't to the top of their priority list SHOULD be a scandal in itself. If necessary, the army should temporarily be assigned to expedite it- I would suggest the police, who don't seem to have much to do (as usual), but I would actually want the job to be done.

(Police)Saw two today on the corner of a thanon doing their "Helmet fine" stint. Must be low on "collections" after floods, Its no wonder even the Thais have such low esteem of their Police ( actually they dont refer to them as "their" Police. , sorry

and your point is ?

(up to 20% is available for sale....)

Singha Corp managed to recently retrieve more than a million bottles from its two plants in Ayutthaya and will be selling them in Bangkok this month

I know where your coming from WB. in Udon 7-11 I asked for a chicken burger---sorry because of water in Bkk was the reply=are the chickens in Bkk ??? Khon Khen has a distribution plant there and water is in short supply in Udon??? distribution problem ?? Nissan march car plenty to buy in Bkk-floods--but 6 months order in Udon ??? Tesco shops near empty in Udon, distribution centres in are all in flooded Bkk ??? go to most places in Thailand and shops are getting very low-because everything is flooded in Bkk--it is mostly B##lsh#t...I know of countless factories AND distribution centers that are no where near Bkk.........Much of what is produced is doing a disappearing act, but where is it going------sounds like something to do with the bottles of oil a year or so ago???

Believe me there is something funny going on here...I am dry up in the Issan area and DO sympathise with your house and contents damage and heartaches, but maybe you all and WB has points but my observations are looking at more why's than who done it.

Never mind the bottled water producers, SHAME on the big grocery chains (Big C at least) for not having any water for sale for the past month (Pattaya). If the bars and smaller retails shops can find water to sell, they should at least make an effort to find alternate local distributors for bottled water.

Never mind the bottled water producers, SHAME on the big grocery chains (Big C at least) for not having any water for sale for the past month (Pattaya). If the bars and smaller retails shops can find water to sell, they should at least make an effort to find alternate local distributors for bottled water.

Maybe the big chains are concerned with filling water bottles from the water in the street. whistling.gif