Flood-Weary Residents Lash Out In Bangkok

webfact

Surely, those that want compensation should have taken out flood insurance.

That's the way it works in the rest of the world.......

I, for one, am really intrigued by this new concept being proposed, those that not live in flood risky areas have to pay a premium to bail out those that do live in flood risk areas.

I should talk with my insurer about this brave new world. Imagine, you don't have to pay car insurance, someone else, without a car would pay it for you!

I think your missing the point here, others are flooded because the will to protect BKK. If all the upper provinces had just let the water come and not kept it at order of YL then damage would be a lot less but BKK had to deal with it.

So when you <Snip!> someone over you have to pay for it.

No, he is not missing the point. They flooded areas would still have been flooded, with or without protecting Bangkok.

Yes but the depth and duriation of the flood would be totally different. Im not saying they would not be flooded. But not as deep and not a long. I am living in a flooded area and i can tell you only 10cm can make a big difference in how you can live somewhere.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I, for one, am really intrigued by this new concept being proposed, those that not live in flood risky areas have to pay a premium to bail out those that do live in flood risk areas.

I should talk with my insurer about this brave new world. Imagine, you don't have to pay car insurance, someone else, without a car would pay it for you!

I think your missing the point here, others are flooded because the will to protect BKK. If all the upper provinces had just let the water come and not kept it at order of YL then damage would be a lot less but BKK had to deal with it.

No, he is not missing the point. They flooded areas would still have been flooded, with or without protecting Bangkok.

Yes but the depth and duriation of the flood would be totally different. Im not saying they would not be flooded. But not as deep and not a long. I am living in a flooded area and i can tell you only 10cm can make a big difference in how you can live somewhere.

Once you are flooded you are flooded, damage done! 10 cm and a few more days is not a valid argument to flood the delicate pavement of Sukhumvit. There is another thread running, where a guy is pondering if he can trust his gf after she cheated on him. I don't think it has even crossed this guys mind to ask for how long and how deep they did it. It is irrelevant!

Anyway, I have no dog in this fight and I believe the national beer shortage deserve much more attention.:D

Once you are flooded you are flooded, damage done! 10 cm and a few more days is not a valid argument to flood the delicate pavement of Sukhumvit. There is another thread running, where a guy is pondering if he can trust his gf after she cheated on him. I don't think it has even crossed this guys mind to ask for how long and how deep they did it. It is irrelevant!

Anyway, I have no dog in this fight and I believe the national beer shortage deserve much more attention.:D

I just got back from the local 711, remember im in a flooded area.. but they resupplied it. Heineken beer row upon row of it. Some dont consider it to be beer so ok. Maybe you should come here and stock up. :D

I wouldn't have used quite the same words but really, your comparison holds up very well and can be directly translated to flood management economics

Edited by MikeyIdea

I wouldn't have used quite the same words but really, your comparison actually holds up very well and can be directly translated to flood management economics

You haven't been flooded either.. so you don't know the difference in damage and how you live. But please tell me where you got your knowledge from ? Obviously its not experience.

Live is going on here now that the water is lower more activity goes on and people can move around better. So yes there is a big difference in how you live and how much damage there is.

The BBB makes life miserable for people while saving others. Don't tear it down (because yes BKK has value) But please give them a good compensation for keeping you water there.

You said you showed your DAU the sites..did you help people when you went through the flooded parts or not. I mean give them a lift or not ?.

Here we see 2 kinds of people.. the caring who help you and give lifts.. and the uncaring who just want to watch others suffer.

Also the guy you quoted was taking the piss.. strange that you did not see that.

Edited by robblok

<quote name='ExpatOilWorker' timestamp='1321338146' post='4848246'>

</quote>

I wouldn't have used quite the same words but really, your comparison holds up very well and can be directly translated to flood management economics

You haven't been flooded either.. so you don't know the difference in damage and how you live. But please tell me where you got your knowledge from ? Obviously its not experience.

Live is going on here now that the water is lower more activity goes on and people can move around better. So yes there is a big difference in how you live and how much damage there is.

The BBB makes life miserable for people while saving others. Don't tear it down (because yes BKK has value) But please give them a good compensation for keeping you water there.

You said you showed your DAU the sites..did you help people when you went through the flooded parts or not. I mean give them a lift or not ?.

Here we see 2 kinds of people.. the caring who help you and give lifts.. and the uncaring who just want to watch others suffer.

Also the guy you quoted was taking the piss.. strange that you did not see that.

This "who is wet and who isn't" discussion is irrelevant, No, you are wrong that I haven't been flooded. Yes, I only have water to my ancles now so you are the wettest rob, good on you, still irrelevant

I would of course have been happy to help people in the flooded areas if anyone had asked for help, no one did because the (local) government, with the help of the government seem to have done a pretty good job with supplying the flood victims. I stopped at quite a few places, believe it or not but I saw many still smiling and laughing in their misery, quite typical Thai to make the best possible, whatever the situation

I don't know who you talk about when you write about the uncaring rob. I know it doesn't fit on myself because I want help to all affected. Perhaps you talk about yourself as you want more compensation than the flood victims I saw who have been flooded longer than you have

What expatoilworker wrote is very true, it's a good comparison and it hammers in why the government and the BMA are doing what they are doing, it's good economics, sad as it is

Edited by MikeyIdea

]

This "who is wet and who isn't" discussion is irrelevant, No, you are wrong that I haven't been flooded. Yes, I only have water to my ancles now so you are the wettest rob, good on you, still irrelevant

I would of course have been happy to help people in the flooded areas if anyone had asked for help, no one did because the (local) government, with the help of the government seem to have done a pretty good job with supplying the flood victims. I stopped at quite a few places, believe it or not but I saw many still smiling and laughing in their misery, quite typical Thai to make the best possible, whatever the situation

I don't know who you talk about when you write about the uncaring rob. I know it doesn't fit on myself because I want help to all affected. Perhaps you talk about yourself as you want more compensation than the flood victims I saw who have been flooded longer than you have

What expatoilworker wrote is very true, it's a good comparison and it hammers in why the government and the BMA are doing what they are doing, it's good economics, sad as it is

First off you should read more in my posts, i am not asking for more compensation for myself. I am not in that area. Also the compensation that i get if i get it goes to my wife as she has not been able to work for a while. So here goes your money theory. Also the only reason that im asking more money for them is because there is a clear relation between their suffering and the BBB placed to protect BKK.

I am no longer wet the house is dry the streets are 40cm. Great improvement from before (70cm in the streets 20 in the house). I was not talking about you when talking about the un caring, i might have that is why i asked if you given a lift to someone.

Here there are groups of ppl on the roads waiting to be picked up by someone and given a lift. Most normal cars cant drive. I was one of those ppl waiting hoping for kindness. Then after a while you see 2 kinds of ppl the caring and the selfish. The ones who could give ppl a ride but wont and the ones who will even if they are over loaded with ppl.

Here i am one of the people helping others when i can, donating food or even dog food. Giving food and drinks to those who can't leave their house. So i would not call myself uncaring.

It is real relevant to see who has been wet and who has not been wet. Once you experience something like this you look different at some things. You seem to think that i am affected by the BBB, i am not. I am in Nothaburi, Bang Yai. I just feel for people who are asked to keep the water for the greater good while not being really compensated for it.

Should people whose houses have been flooded, but have still been able to work because their office / business was protected, get less compensation than people who couldn't work?

What about people who lived in an unflooded area but were unable to work because their office / business was flooded?

Should people whose houses have been flooded, but have still been able to work because their office / business was protected, get less compensation than people who couldn't work?

What about people who lived in an unflooded area but were unable to work because their office / business was flooded?

I have no idea, i am only talking about the BBB because there the issue is clear. People are getting more water for the greater good but not more compensation. While their damages would be less and their lives better if it was not there.

So i only talk about that specific case. You could try to muddy the argument like you do now but i won't bite. I also don't start about my situation and admit that when the water was still rising here i lost my cool.

TAWP's and Nisa's posts are rational... the people complaining that the flood should be "shared equally" are expressing with emotion only.

The goal of the government is too protect what it can and minimize damage as much as possible.

Once an area is flooded, it's flooded. In the grand scheme of things it makes little difference if the flood stays 40 days or 30 days; and it makes little difference if the flood height is 80 cm or 60 cm..

I don't see how anyone can argue with "inmates running the asylum" comment... people in some areas are interfering with the flood management process by removing flood barriers, FROC needs to negotiate with locals rather than implement their plan, law enforcement is unable/unwilling to protect the flood management process.

That's the very definition of "inmates running the asylum."

You obviously never lived in a flooded house the dept of the water makes a big difference. Up to 30cm in the house its livable. Above that the damage is a lot more. We had 70cm in the street and 20cm in the house.

so tell me where you get your wisdom from.

I am saying the people behind the big bags should be compensated (not saying flood bkk). The greater good is not a one way road.

The flood water drop will be minimal... that's the point. I thought that people with flood damage will receive compensation.

If the water drops 10-20cm its a lot it can mean the difference between having electricity and stuff and loosing it all.

Yes people who are flooded get a 5k (please im still laughing) compensation. I feel that those that are really sacrificed like those behind the big bag wall should be compensated a lot more maybe by a one time property tax in BKK.

I believe in the greater good, but i also believe that those you sacrifice for it should get good compensation. If BKK is so important they can surely pay.

Based on your continued moaning, complaining, unrealistic views and mostly your common theme of wanting to see others suffer I really don't have any sympathy for "your situation" and could care less if you are compensated.

I Bangkok becomes flooded it would be a devastation for the entire country. It is no different than trying to protect an airport or hospital during a disaster. The taxes coming out of Bangkok already do subsidize most of the country.

Your constant whining about your problems and then finger pointing at others saying they don't care about others is just getting very old. Why don't you get off your computer and go help some people instead of whining to other expats online.

As for the barriers built, you have absolutely no proof whatsoever that these caused the waters to be higher in any area or that the the water height would not have been the same or higher without the barriers since they are also designed to feed the water to the canals instead of just collecting and remaining in one area.

But the bottom line is the more area affected, the less resources will be available for each area. This is not really rocket science in terms of understanding this.

Your not stop moaning about 5K baht compensation is silly since it is not even close to describing the charity and resources being provided to those in need right now and doesn't consider future resources provided. Sh@t happens but if you believe the government is responsible then go to court and take action or send them a bill. Non stop complaining to other expats online serves no purpose.

Edited by Nisa

You obviously never lived in a flooded house the dept of the water makes a big difference. Up to 30cm in the house its livable. Above that the damage is a lot more. We had 70cm in the street and 20cm in the house.

so tell me where you get your wisdom from.

I am saying the people behind the big bags should be compensated (not saying flood bkk). The greater good is not a one way road.

The flood water drop will be minimal... that's the point. I thought that people with flood damage will receive compensation.

If the water drops 10-20cm its a lot it can mean the difference between having electricity and stuff and loosing it all.

Yes people who are flooded get a 5k (please im still laughing) compensation. I feel that those that are really sacrificed like those behind the big bag wall should be compensated a lot more maybe by a one time property tax in BKK.

I believe in the greater good, but i also believe that those you sacrifice for it should get good compensation. If BKK is so important they can surely pay.

Based on your continued moaning, complaining, unrealistic views and mostly your common theme of wanting to see others suffer I really don't have any sympathy for "your situation" and could care less if you are compensated.

I Bangkok becomes flooded it would be a devastation for the entire country. It is no different than trying to protect an airport or hospital during a disaster. The taxes coming out of Bangkok already do subsidize most of the country.

Your constant whining about your problems and then finger pointing at others saying they don't care about others is just getting very old. Why don't you get off your computer and go help some people instead of whining to other expats online.

As for the barriers built, you have absolutely no proof whatsoever that these caused the waters to be higher in any area or that the the water height would not have been the same or higher without the barriers since they are also designed to feed the water to the canals instead of just collecting and remaining in one area.

But the bottom line is the more area affected, the less resources will be available for each area. This is not really rocket science in terms of understanding this.

Nisa,

Do you have a brain ? I am not wining about my problems. I am ok here, but because i went through it i have more empathy for people suffering.

First off, i don't want BKK to flood i want them to compensate the people on the wrong side of the BBB because it enhances their suffering for the sake of BKK.

Also your argument that the water levels would not be higher if the BBB were not there is crazy too. Its quite simple, build a dam somewhere on an sloping area and its only natural that more water accumulates on the area before the dam. Not hard to prove you can prove it on the beach. I am sure even you can figure that one out.

As for compensation for myself, you read everywhere on this forum that its going to the wife and that i can handle my own damages. So now that both your arguments are shot go play somewhere and do something constructive.

Now next time find some real arguments and we can have a real discussion.

Now also you say you care so much tell me what you have done.

A question for the people living in flooded areas and complaining about the BBB.... why don't you go somewhere dry?

One can rent a nice little guest house in Khorat for about 12,000 Baht per month. I know there are homestays in Kanchanaburi offering flood victims rates of 100 Baht per night.

Or, if one doesn't want or can't spend any money, one can go to the Farang Flood Victim Center in Sukhimvit. There one can stay for FREE, get 2 FREE MEALS and get FREE DRINKING WATER. The FREE MEALS and FREE DRINKING WATER must be worth at least 200 Baht per day... Stay for 1 month, and you've made a sweet 6,000 Baht, which is a nice compliment to the 5,000 government money coming your way.

A question for the people living in flooded areas and complaining about the BBB.... why don't you go somewhere dry?

One can rent a nice little guest house in Khorat for about 12,000 Baht per month. I know there are homestays in Kanchanaburi offering flood victims rates of 100 Baht per night.

Or, if one doesn't want or can't spend any money, one can go to the Farang Flood Victim Center in Sukhimvit. There one can stay for FREE, get 2 FREE MEALS and get FREE DRINKING WATER. The FREE MEALS and FREE DRINKING WATER must be worth at least 200 Baht per day... Stay for 1 month, and you've made a sweet 6,000 Baht, which is a nice compliment to the 5,000 government money coming your way.

I am not living there, but many poor people are. They can't afford it. Anyway i would have been gone from where i live if it was not for the dogs. Also i found out that staying does help you save more of your stuff. You can make adjustments putting stuff up even higher, thinking of new things.

I am only making a case for the people over there, and i am sure that those who can leave leave. But there are plenty who cannot. Tell me would you really trust the government to keep your houses safe making sure you were not robbed blind ?.

That was also a serious consideration for not leaving. I seen many people leaving here and many not leaving. If i had to do it all again (hopefully never) i would have done it different. But that is with knowledge i have now. When it all started here the idiot government did not tell us a thing and we had no idea how bad it would be.

<snip>

First off, i don't want BKK to flood i want them to compensate the people on the wrong side of the BBB because it enhances their suffering for the sake of BKK.

<snip>

It's lucky for you that they built the BBB, because you were complaining along the same lines before they built that. Now you have something "new" to blame.

<snip>

<snip>

It's lucky for you that they built the BBB, because you were complaining along the same lines before they built that. Now you have something "new" to blame.

Before i was stressed because of rising water, not knowing what would happen. No idea about my house and life. I am not anymore. But you don't seem to go into this with arguments anymore. Perhaps you know your wrong.

I believe the governor of Pattani was removed for not keeping the water long enough in his province.

Huh?

Am i wrong.. thought Yingluck removed him for incompetence or something like that because the water was not kept long enough. I could be wrong here (seriously) so please tell me if i am. This is what i had heard.

Correction it was Pathum Thani my apologies.

Edited by robblok

Why don't we just flood your area and then you can do what you are recommending others to do...

Edited by tominbkk

The toxic cocktail in the water was going to be there no matter if it was short or long duration of hold back.

To say they deliberately did this by holding water back to cause the toxic cocktail is absurd, 1) they couldn't possibly be that evil, 2 ) but also likely barely thought that far ahead 2. Either way it's gonna be in the water 1 day or 10.

Either way it was going to be in the water and leaching into anything porous, no matter who long it is around. If it is not stagnant, and little of this is, then what you see is the natural accumulation of crud leached from the ground and factories and waste receptacles along it's path to the sea. There is so much water, it can't help but soak the ground beyond possible capacity, and anything dump to become part of the toxic ground will then float up and head to the sea.

There is little to be done for it.

Clean up will be nasty, but would be 1 day flood or 30 day flood.

Why don't we just flood your area and then you can do what you are recommending others to do...

Of course that means you aren't working either, so you lose the 6,000.

Uh, my area will flood soon enough LOL. And, yeah, I'm not going to sit in water while complaining that my area is flooded because the fish farmers in Bangkhuntian are blocking the flow of the flood.

Too many people seem to have a philosophy of life of.... "My lollipop fell on the ground and now it's dirty. I want everyone else to have a dirty lollipop, too!"

Rob, I think it is a strange form of empathy you show, people who live just north of the barrier should get more compensation than the people who live further north and have been flooded longer and are harder hit

If you had been budget responsible in my department, then we would have had to transfer you to another position because of all the UN-fairness you would have created by the time money had run out, not to mention the money we would have to borrow after you were kicked out to control the riots your un-fairness would have created

Rob, you are not uncaring and I am not but you are unrealistic and I am not

Rob, I think it is a strange form of empathy you show, people who live just north of the barrier should get more compensation than the people who live further north and have been flooded longer and are harder hit

If you had been budget responsible in my department, then we would have had to transfer you to another position because of all the UN-fairness you would have created by the time money had run out, not to mention the money we would have to borrow after you were kicked out to control the riots your un-fairness would have created

Rob, you are not uncaring and I am not but you are unrealistic and I am not

Mikey,

It seems im not unrealistic as you look at all the news. Even the government now sees it has to compensate people more. It seems you were unrealistic and i was not.

The only reason i picked the BBB as an example was because it was a clear case where people were being forced to live longer in bad conditions to save others. I could not have made such a clear case for others. Most in BKK see it as their divine right to stay dry at all cost. Here i could link their dryness to suffering of others.

That would have been harder to do with other examples, i got enough flack already here. I rather pick battles that (might) be won then go for loosing ones. I think the whole 5k compensation is crazy especially for those who lost it all and have been flooded for a long time. The moment i would make that case I would have been laughed away here because of the cost of it. Now at least I could fight a battle i might win.

Its good to see the government wanting to compensate more now. Bad that they dont include people in Ayuttaya who have suffered even more. So it seems i was realistic to ask for more for people who suffered more to keep dry.

Not that hard, provinces were ordered to keep the water for BKK so they had more time to prepare. The BBB is there to protect BKK at the expense of those in don Mueng.

Also because the other provinces had to use damms to keep the water in their provinces (not out) it got flooded here. I believe the governor of Pattani was removed for not keeping the water long enough in his province.

If you look at a elevations map you will see BKK is the lowest point so its real natural that all the water would flow there.

Its safe to say that if they had let the water go earlier from those other provinces it would not have been so widespread but BKK would have been hit earlier and harder.

But really the biggest example is that BBB that was not there before nobody could plan for it but it was build to keep water in one area (flood it) to save BKK.

The reason i keep talking about that and not the other points i made is that the relation is much clearer there and its easier to prove. The other points are much harder to prove.

That only shows that inner Bangkok could have flooded if it didn't have defenses, it doesn't prove that other areas would not had flooded if the water, somehow, would be allowed to flush right through the city.

That's my peeve with people that say that flooding inner Bangkok would alleviate the situation, they don't know how that would work, just that it needs to be done.

Inner Bangkok its surrounded on the West and South by the Chao Phraya river, if it floods from the North all water can only slowly creep through the city into the river on the South or spill over the West; then you may just as well divert the water to the river and the West side before flooding the city center, the drainage would be the same.

So flooding the city would do diddly squat for speeding drainage and wreck 40% of the economy, no deal.

My peeve with people who do not seem to understand basic physics is that my house is going to be flooded until January with well over 1 meter of water so that Bangkok can be dry. If you remove the BBB, yes, my house would still be flooded. But the water would be gone earlier and it wouldn't be so high now. That translates to fewer expenses for me and more for you.

This is simply physics. The water that flowed through your living room would not be puddled in mine. That doesn't say I wish that on you. As we have stated several times already, I am perfectly willing to sacrifice to keep you dry, as the marginal cost for you to additionally be flooded is more than for me to continue to be flooded. But, you are not being grateful for the sacrifice I am making on your behalf.

It really speaks volume for the moral character of those on this board that don't give a rats ass about anyone but themselves. A request to be compensated for what I am giving you is not emotional, and it is not too much to ask. But due to greed and guilt, people on this forum seem unable to comprehend that basic concept.

I wonder what people would say if the government simply decided the residents of Bangkok needed a park and stole my land to build one without compensating me. What? So sorry, but next time learn to be lucky like us? You don't deserve anything for what was taken from you so that we don't have to suffer?

Sometimes people amaze me.

Not that hard, provinces were ordered to keep the water for BKK so they had more time to prepare. The BBB is there to protect BKK at the expense of those in don Mueng.

Also because the other provinces had to use damms to keep the water in their provinces (not out) it got flooded here. I believe the governor of Pattani was removed for not keeping the water long enough in his province.

If you look at a elevations map you will see BKK is the lowest point so its real natural that all the water would flow there.

Its safe to say that if they had let the water go earlier from those other provinces it would not have been so widespread but BKK would have been hit earlier and harder.

But really the biggest example is that BBB that was not there before nobody could plan for it but it was build to keep water in one area (flood it) to save BKK.

The reason i keep talking about that and not the other points i made is that the relation is much clearer there and its easier to prove. The other points are much harder to prove.

That only shows that inner Bangkok could have flooded if it didn't have defenses, it doesn't prove that other areas would not had flooded if the water, somehow, would be allowed to flush right through the city.

That's my peeve with people that say that flooding inner Bangkok would alleviate the situation, they don't know how that would work, just that it needs to be done.

Inner Bangkok its surrounded on the West and South by the Chao Phraya river, if it floods from the North all water can only slowly creep through the city into the river on the South or spill over the West; then you may just as well divert the water to the river and the West side before flooding the city center, the drainage would be the same.

So flooding the city would do diddly squat for speeding drainage and wreck 40% of the economy, no deal.

My peeve with people who do not seem to understand basic physics is that my house is going to be flooded until January with well over 1 meter of water so that Bangkok can be dry. If you remove the BBB, yes, my house would still be flooded. But the water would be gone earlier and it wouldn't be so high now. That translates to fewer expenses for me and more for you.

This is simply physics. The water that flowed through your living room would not be puddled in mine. That doesn't say I wish that on you. As we have stated several times already, I am perfectly willing to sacrifice to keep you dry, as the marginal cost for you to additionally be flooded is more than for me to continue to be flooded. But, you are not being grateful for the sacrifice I am making on your behalf.

It really speaks volume for the moral character of those on this board that don't give a rats ass about anyone but themselves. A request to be compensated for what I am giving you is not emotional, and it is not too much to ask. But due to greed and guilt, people on this forum seem unable to comprehend that basic concept.

I wonder what people would say if the government simply decided the residents of Bangkok needed a park and stole my land to build one without compensating me. What? So sorry, but next time learn to be lucky like us? You don't deserve anything for what was taken from you so that we don't have to suffer?

Now the run-off water from the flooded areas are damaging marine life in the gulf of Thailand. If you guys don't clean up your act, we will have to leave the water where it is before the fishermen also want compensation.:blink:

Now the run-off water from the flooded areas are damaging marine life in the gulf of Thailand. If you guys don't clean up your act, we will have to leave the water where it is before the fishermen also want compensation.:blink:

If they can prove that it was the government's policy of damming the water behind sand bags thus letting it become overly polluted which caused the issue then they should be compensated.

When anyone takes an action that harms another, they bear a responsibility for the harm they inflicted. This also applies to the government, and it doesn't matter who is the injured party or what the nature of the injury is.