Meter Taxi Phone Number

metice

If you call the main taxi meter number it is unlikely they will agree to pick you up outside the airport as that would be against the rules as dictated by the taxi/tuk tuk mafia which "owns" the right to transport customers to the airport from the tourist areas. They commonly protect their illegal monopoly though violence and the taxi meter guys know this. Some have been pulled from their cars and beaten by mobs of taxi mafia members. (I am not exagerating.) When the taxi meters started up a few years ago, one was shot.

It is a good idea to collect a few numbers of individual meter drivers. Many are brave enough to pick you up under the radar of the tuk tuk/taxi mafia and for half the price as long as you aren't getting picked up in front of one of the tuk tuk/taxi salas. (You can identify a tuk tuk/taxi sala by the drunk/drinking drivers laying about, empty Songsam and Leo bottles and a pungent smell of urine.) Some tuk tuk/taxi drivers stationed along sois leading to resorts, like at Cape Sienna and Avista in Kata have taken to setting up check points similar to police check points where they ensure no "unauthorized" taxi's or mini buses get though.

I used to have some numbers before but I lost them. Sorry.

Good luck.

Didn't realise that they couldn't pick you up and take you to the airport. I'd rather walk than give a tuk tuk driver any money. I had some phone numbers as well but have lost them

I forgot to mention. You can also try to catch a meter on it's way back to the airport if you are near an artery. You can get a good deal because they have already gotten their fare.

Didn't realise that they couldn't pick you up and take you to the airport. I'd rather walk than give a tuk tuk driver any money. I had some phone numbers as well but have lost them

Are you at a home or a resort/hotel? The number I gave you is a mobile of one of the drivers. They picked me up at my house without any problem... Do a google search, I found a few numbers that way if for some reason that number doesn't work now...

Just about anyone with a car will take you to the airport, or at least they will know someone that can. Just ask someone at your resort, hotel, or wherever it is you've been staying. Just offer them 600-1000 baht they will gladly take you. Stay away from the taxi guys, they will rip you off just like the Tuk Tuk goons. Not all but some.

• 1 month later...