The New Zone Alarm

McGarty

The very latest free version of Zone Alarm Firewall was removed from my computer this morning and my computer is faster as is my internet surfing. I updated several days ago automatically. This newer version comes from Check point and uses a blue icon on the toolbar.

It seems to me this version of Zone Alarm has some issues. If you have updated to the latest version ( v.10xxx) and are having internet lag and your computer has slowed down, try removing it and using another Firewall. My system must have slowed by 30%

Obviously this will not apply to everyone but might help some others.

I use the paid version, Extreme Security, and had a similar problem a few months back.

The slow down was while the disks were being scanned.

I have not noticed the problem lately.

Check and see what ZA is doing, on their control panel

Also look at the Task Manager CRTL+ALT+DELETE

to see what is hogging the cpu

I use the paid version, Extreme Security, and had a similar problem a few months back.

The PC was so slow at times it practically stopped. Waiting for anything to boot up was an age in itself. Accessing the control panel, Zone Alarm itself or the task manager took too long. I got too impatient to bother to check the performance levels knowing what the problem had to be. Hence the deletion.

It was definitely Zone Alarm itself as the computer is back to normal speed after uninstalling. There may be some incompatibilities with ZA that need ironing out. Last major incident I recall (for me) was with AVG anti-virus and that was not resolved for some weeks so I removed AVG and installed Avast.

When you know your own system and how it usually functions then you instinctively know what has caused a problem, especially when the problems happen after an upgrade or installation of a program.

I do like ZA a lot. I have used it for years. I shall give them time to sort the problem and reinstall at a later date.

I did inform ZA of the problems too. If others do the same, presuming others have a problem, I do believe Zone Labs will rectify the problem(s).

On a side note I did do a full virus scan. Malaware scan. System checks also with System Care. No problems reported.

The PC was so slow at times it practically stopped. Waiting for anything to boot up was an age in itself. Accessing the control panel, Zone Alarm itself or the task manager took too long. I got too impatient to bother to check the performance levels knowing what the problem had to be. Hence the deletion.

It was definitely Zone Alarm itself as the computer is back to normal speed after uninstalling. There may be some incompatibilities with ZA that need ironing out. Last major incident I recall (for me) was with AVG anti-virus and that was not resolved for some weeks so I removed AVG and installed Avast.

When you know your own system and how it usually functions then you instinctively know what has caused a problem, especially when the problems happen after an upgrade or installation of a program.

I do like ZA a lot. I have used it for years. I shall give them time to sort the problem and reinstall at a later date.

I did inform ZA of the problems too. If others do the same, presuming others have a problem, I do believe Zone Labs will rectify the problem(s).

On a side note I did do a full virus scan. Malaware scan. System checks also with System Care. No problems reported.

Perhaps it's all the crap you have installed on your system. System Care, Malwarebytes, Zone Alarm, Avast.

Perhaps you are overdoing it.

MVPS Hosts file and Avast is probably enough for most if you are behind a Router.

Malawarebytes I do not use.

System Care, Zone Alarm and Avast. The latter two are essentials as no-one would be without a firewall and antivirus. System Care runs when I ask it to. So how is that too much crap??? How you think I might have too much installed is beyond me.

Most of my progs run on demand, not when they want to and I have my boot set up to load what I want the computer to load. Then I execute a prog when I want to run it.

I have been running ZA for over 5 years and it is only their latest version that is causing problems. If it is the way I have my computer running the same problems would occur with other firewalls too and it does not. The removal and replacement of ZA leaves my PC working fine.

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

If you are behind a Router, why would you need ZoneAlarm? System Care? What is that? You don't need that nonsense.

There is no answer to that, is there ? :cheesy:

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem, ZA used up one core at 100%

I used the free version.

I decided to downgrade to ZA 2009, and everything is fine now.

As I am also using Avast on the same computer, I only need the basic firewall features ZA 2009 has, I don't care about all the advanced crap.

Runs much smoother now.

There is a site where past versions can be downloaded. Very useful!

(forgot the url)

If you are behind a Router, why would you need ZoneAlarm? System Care? What is that? You don't need that nonsense.

ZA comes in very handy when programs want to access the internet without asking you first.

A common setting for the router is to assume all requests coming from your machine are safe.

The accesses can be harmless (i.e. checking if a new version is available), can be questionable (Adobe or Microsoft progs "phoning home") or downright criminal (process XYZ which you never heard about wants to access internet - possibly a trojan).

ZA has already prevented some malware on my system to send data out, and I became aware of the malware because ZA alerted me that the program wants internet access.

A nice plus would be some kind of protocol of the access by program, including IPs/domains/hostnames that were contacted or for which the DNS data was requested.

Edited by manarak

(forgot the url)

That would be www.oldapps.com/

Yes, very useful.

I don't know why this site shows more older versions than the ZA site. It doesn't include my version 9.2.106 but it has several 9.3 versions which the ZA site doesn't include.

Edited by vagabond48

• 1 month later...

(forgot the url)

That would be www.oldapps.com/

Yes, very useful.

I don't know why this site shows more older versions than the ZA site. It doesn't include my version 9.2.106 but it has several 9.3 versions which the ZA site doesn't include.

That's because it depends on the version.

Free

Pro

Internet Security