Thai Cabinet Endorses Thaksin Amnesty Plan: Reports

webfact

No surprise here. I think we all knew this was happening after the election results.

Still, it's sad to see. So much for stability and peace.

Don't forget that a clear majority of the Thai electorate voted for this. Mrs Yingluck campaigned on a mandate to bring her brother back.

This is actually what they WANT.

As absurd as Thailand would look (not that they give a rat's arse about international opinion) you cannot deny that it is democracy at work.

This is one man at work. Thaksin and Thai Rak Thai was Thailand's response to the 1997 East Asia financial meltdown that rightfully began here in Thailand, which then was the hub of real estate speculation, the hub of stock manipulation, the hub of a financial bubble and of the double-triple swindle. Thaksin was going to be bigger than Mahathir and Thailand was going to be the power hub of East Asia. Thaksin and his men systematically dismantled the globally hailed 1997 Constitution to create Thaksin the omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent.

Thaksin Part III is soon to begin.

Or izzit Part VI?

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am so ashamed that the Thai people actually voted for this charade government. That the Thai people actually can accept a dangerous idiot like Chalerm to be a DPM. That this government has the nerve to tell us that what they discuss in the cabinet meeting is secret (<deleted>). I am so ashamed.....

You are Thai?

He payed people to burn bangkok how could they let him back?

Proof please.

The red shirt demonstations in Bangkok were paid for by him and he gave all the orders just like he is doing now, You shoud read up on the subject, Thats why he was charged with terrorism.

I am not sure he was ever charged with Terrorism, I think he was only charged and convicted of corruption, for using his position to purchase a parcel of land well below its true value, on behalf of his then wife. There is no proof that he paid people to burn Bangkok. In fact I think they accused a Farung for inciting people to burn the building. Dont know what the outcome of that was.

Don't forget that a clear majority of the Thai electorate voted for this. Mrs Yingluck campaigned on a mandate to bring her brother back.

A majority of Thais did NOT vote for PTP, let alone a clear majority. They won a majority of seats, which does not require a majority of votes. And most people just voted for the same local politic dynasty that they have been voting for for decades.

The Facebook page opposing the amnesty has exploded with "I am attending"s and presently stands at 26,506 - up from about 16,000 less than three hours ago.

It now stands at 44,829 attending.

Great.

Actually very good.

At 5,300 per hour , in another 6 months there will be enough attendees to win an election................

With a slight majority.

Reckon they can do it ???

Proof please.

The red shirt demonstations in Bangkok were paid for by him and he gave all the orders just like he is doing now, You shoud read up on the subject, Thats why he was charged with terrorism.

"Paid for by him and he is giving the orders???????????????? Is this purely your theory or can you personally back up your allegations with hard facts???? If you can not provide hard proven facts then you are purely trying to blow hot air up everyones rear end. Your honour in this case I have a theory so you must find the defendant guilty :D:cheesy: :cheesy: no evidence it is just a hunch as my right knee gives pain and it is never wrong.

The Facebook page opposing the amnesty has exploded with "I am attending"s and presently stands at 26,506 - up from about 16,000 less than three hours ago.

It now stands at 44,829 attending.

Now 180 short of 50,000... and I totally agree with those who have stated that the PAD are a spent force (which just highlights Thaksin's divisive nature - I can't believe some people still think he's a good thing for Thailand).

"Paid for by him and he is giving the orders???????????????? Is this purely your theory or can you personally back up your allegations with hard facts???? If you can not provide hard proven facts then you are purely trying to blow hot air up everyones rear end. Your honour in this case I have a theory so you must find the defendant guilty :D:cheesy: :cheesy: no evidence it is just a hunch as my right knee gives pain and it is never wrong.

K. Thaksin was shopping in Paris with his daughters. Anyone quoting on 'at the first shot I'll be back to stand behind you' will risk a lawsuit concerning defamation regarding obvious misquoting. K. Thaksin has gone on record not to know red-shirts. Any Thai visiting him does so to greet a fellow Thai, no relation at all to 'Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts'. Pure coincidence most visitors are Pheu Thai MPs, they just happen to travel more than other Thai MPs :rolleyes:

This government decree crosses the boundaries of what is allowed. I don't think I can say any more. Think about it.

Their choice to go down this sensitive possibly-last-resort avenue indicates desperation.

It's especially strange considering that the red shirt movement has a more-than-insiginificant portion of anti-monarchists, including some of its leaders. Some of them are vocal, others prefer to keep their true opinions quiet.

Some of the more vocal Red Shirts were out today delivering a letter to the visiting U.N. boss.

Interesting timing.

Edited by sbk
do not bring the monarchy into the discussion

A majority of Thais did NOT vote for PTP, let alone a clear majority. They won a majority of seats, which does not require a majority of votes. And most people just voted for the same local politic dynasty that they have been voting for for decades.

Pheu Thai

204 15,744,190 48.41 61 265 53.0%

I would suggest that you are splitting hairs - almost half of the eligible votes and first past the post by over 4,300,000 is a clear voice in support of the elected government.

I'm not exactly a fan of both sides and I think that bringing Thaksin back will not be in anyway beneficial to Thailand. It's a start of another crisis.

Perfectly right! The novice in Burberry outfit will finally meet the big bag-brother shopping-fan in London for solving the problems of the poor [red] farmers from the North and Northeast... Finally, everybody will be happy! :bah: :bah: :bah:

Of course that Thaksin is a huge political issue is going to make this heated but reality is that without resolving the Thaksin issue, there will never be reconcilliation, and increrasingly more people who dont like Thaksin realise that an accomodation is needed.

Why doesn't Thaksin just show up, face his charges in court, use the best legal team he can, and act like he, to use the colloquial, has a pair?

All his wordy mouthing off from afar, his attempts to create mob rule, all the political lobbyists he has on his payroll....the vast cost of all that surely would be less than just getting a good lawyer and having his day in court.

If he thinks he doesn't get justice...he can always appeal. Or assemble some donut boxes/lynch mobs pre verdict as he has (alledgedly) done in the past.

Certainly, he wasn't nearly as suspicious of the justice system when he and Shin attempted to sue pretty much everyone in sight back in the day.

Reconciliation starts with him acting a little more like a man, and a little less like a

scaredy cat

scaredy cat

sitting on a (can someone finish this one for me, I want to say monkey trap, but really 'flooded big bag' would be more relevant in these heady days where the PT government orders hundreds of big bags from (probably) ItalThai, a PT supporter, with no independent oversight as to costs or effectiveness)

man up pal - you got a divorce to protect your assets, you helped your son get away with cheating at university...for once in your life act like a MAN.

Because he has the political power to make it all go away or destroy those who oppose him. It also isnt helped by his enemies not being very good at politics, PR, marketing or even being very democratic, so that he has skillfully positioned himself as a champion of the people and garnered international sympathy.

The only way people will ever realise Thaksin is an exploitative so and so is if he does return and shows it without his poltical opponents trying to thwart everything he does. Thaksin has played a brilliant poltical game and is easily the most skillful politician Thailand has ever seen and by far the most popular politican Thailand has ever seen (even in absence). What opposes him cannot compete and is undermined by their own past excesses and lets be honest manipulations not exactly disimilar to Thaksins. Of course he and his mates just wanted to become the new elite and boot the old one out. Now it has all got tied up in other stuff linked to huge masses of people who have been on the receiving end of inequality for too long and who have little trust for courts or traditonal parties or traditional media mouthpieces. Great at manipulating a position and using people is Thaksin, or maybe we get to the point where they use him

I am glad to read your post, hammered, because I believe that it describes perfectly why continued attempts to keep him out of the country are counter-productive. He has built a massive support-base that is well beyond anything that the opposition could muster and has shown that, although he cannot be directly involved, that support will line up behind any party associated with him. This situation exists because his opposition are naive and do not appreciate that they need the support of the masses that Thaksin has transfixed with his smoke and mirrors show. The resounding success of PTP in the last election shows that the Democrats are not regarded as a party who represent the popular will. ( I expect the usual wailings that PTP did not get the majority of the vote, but that is a nonsensical argument in a "First Past the Post system" as most of them are aware but conveniently ignore).

Thaksin has exploited the weaknesse of the Thai system, appointments to what should be non-political positions in the police, military, judiciary and ministries should not be within the gift of any administration but if it has been done to his detriment then he is returning the favour.

With no serious political opponents ( their only recourse being attempts at impeachment after they could not find a reason to have the election nullified) his only threat is the army. They have shown recently that they are a major resource for the country in disasters and have gained huge popularity as a result.

I really do not believe that the Thai military are in any way seriouly considering a coup; it is relatively simple to roll tanks into Bangkok but where would that lead? Nowhere that any of us want to go

Pheu Thai

I would suggest that you are splitting hairs - almost half of the eligible votes and first past the post by over 4,300,000 is a clear voice in support of the elected government.

Did Ms. Yingluck campaign on bringing her brother back? It has been ignored, confirmed, denied, rejected. Some Pheu Thai party members even managed to issue all four of the possibilities I list. Anyway I do believe the PM, she said it's not a priority. With millions still suffering because of flooding, discussing the finer details of an amnesty/pardon law to be tailored to serve a single man would seem hilarious if it's wasn't an insult to Thai people <_<

Almost half is not half, let alone a clear majority like you said. They received 15.7 million out of 35 million votes cast (including no votes), that is not a majority. And this election had 3 million fewer voters than 2007 due to the yellow shirt campaign against the Dems. They are not a majority and that isn't splitting hairs, and this is not going to turn out well for them.

And 'first past the post' in proportional vote is meaningless since the PM is not directly elected, and even if it did it still isn't a majority anyway. If first past the post meant anything then Abhisit would have been PM after the 2007 election.

I'm not exactly a fan of both sides and I think that bringing Thaksin back will not be in anyway beneficial to Thailand. It's a start of another crisis.

As a guest of the country and unable to vote I think it wise that Farangs should keep their views to themselves Big Brother is watching YOU !!!!

Wait...a...minute...... Are you implying that the government has English speaking experts reviewing comments made on ThaiVisa, and are preparing a blacklist to send us away ??? No problem, as I would not want to live in such a repressive country anyway. Also I will add my two satang, that Thaksin coming back will be the worst thing that ever happened to this country. And the Thai cabinet passing this endorsement in secret is standard behavior for this group of clowns..... :jap:

They may not seek you out individually, but it would be rather easy for them to shut down this web site

I think they accused a Farung for inciting people to burn the building. Dont know what the outcome of that was.

Briton Red Shirt Savage was jailed and deported back to UK

Thai demo arrest Briton Jeff Savage is deported to UK

A Kent man filmed apparently inciting Thai protesters to burn down a shopping centre has been deported to the UK.

Jeff Savage, 48, pleaded guilty to breaching an emergency decree

He was jailed for three months but a Thai judge halved the term last week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-10661702

Australian Red Shirt Purcell was also jailed and deported

Australian Red-Shirt Conor David Purcell To Be Deported From Thailand

Edited by Buchholz

I am not sure he was ever charged with Terrorism, I think he was only charged and convicted of corruption

A long thread

Thaksin And 24 Reds To Face Indictment For Terrorism

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3781464

Had a quick squiz through the thread you put up. No where does it state he was charged with Terrorism. It only states that the Gov and Police recommended he be charged with Terrorism. As I said before it never happened.

Almost half is not half, let alone a clear majority like you said. They received 15.7 million out of 35 million votes cast (including no votes), that is not a majority. And this election had 3 million fewer voters than 2007 due to the yellow shirt campaign against the Dems. They are not a majority and that isn't splitting hairs, and this is not going to turn out well for them.

And 'first past the post' in proportional vote is meaningless since the PM is not directly elected, and even if it did it still isn't a majority anyway. If first past the post meant anything then Abhisit would have been PM after the 2007 election.

DP25 - get over yourself. These were probably the 'cleanest' elections for years. Pheu Thai and Mrs Yingluck are in power.

I do not support their policies and was disappointed that the Democrats were so limp as to not take advantage of, what should have been, an unassailable position. however, the validity of the government cannot be in doubt and almost 16 million people voted for a party that campaigned for the return of Thaksin.

The only remarkable thing for me is that another opportunity to stage a coup has gone begging.

If this is not the last-straw for the majority of farang who only ever wanted to live happy and peaceful lives here in the "Land-of-Smiles" then I honestly-to-God don't know what that "last-straw" will be for you to accept that the negatives of living here far out-weigh the benefits.

I put my money where my mouth is because the writing-on-the-wall is CLEARLY dictating that a disaster is brewing, the likes of which has not been seen for several decades here in this country. I have also been told personally and privately just how bad things are REALLY GOING TO GET.

If you choose to ignore the truth, then all that I can say is that you have NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF FOR STAYING HERE.

Good luck...these poor people who don't deserve all of this misery coming from multiple crises are going to need it.

Proof please.

Here is an attachment for a youtube video showing the red shirts being paid off.

I will also ask my wife to find the video interview that Thaksin gave in which he addmited in the interview that he weas paying the demonstrators to defy the law and government. The irony is that he is so stupid he didn't even realize he admitted to paying them 300 baht per day on the camera until the someone wispered in his ear piece that he should not have said that. How do we know....becasue there was about 10 seconds of silence while he tried to figure a way out of what he just said.

If this is not the last-straw for the majority of farang who only ever wanted to live happy and peaceful lives here in the "Land-of-Smiles" then I honestly-to-God don't know what that "last-straw" will be for you to accept that the negatives of living here far out-weigh the benefits.

I put my money where my mouth is because the writing-on-the-wall is CLEARLY dictating that a disaster is brewing, the likes of which has not been seen for several decades here in this country. I have also been told personally and privately just how bad things are REALLY GOING TO GET.

If you choose to ignore the truth, then all that I can say is that you have NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF FOR STAYING HERE.

Good luck...these poor people who don't deserve all of this misery coming from multiple crises are going to need it.

I think you are mixing with too many drama queens !

No doubt you will be shortly "Leavin' on a jet plane" mai ?

I am not sure he was ever charged with Terrorism, I think he was only charged and convicted of corruption

A long thread

It would read better if you put all the thread in, not a fraction.

I am not sure he was ever charged with Terrorism, I think he was only charged and convicted of corruption, for using his position to purchase a parcel of land well below its true value, on behalf of his then wife. There is no proof that he paid people to burn Bangkok. In fact I think they accused a Farung for inciting people to burn the building. Dont know what the outcome of that was.

On reading the thread you put in, he never was charged with Terrorism, it was only recommended.

You working for FOX-News maybe?

begin removed with a few quotes, check the original ...

Had a quick squiz through the thread you put up. No where does it state he was charged with Terrorism. It only states that the Gov and Police recommended he be charged with Terrorism. As I said before it never happened.

Apart from an article from the other newspaper we cannot quote here, a simple Yahoo search gave 19,300 results of which I only quote a few here ;)

"MAY 26, 2010

Thaksin Faces Thai Terrorism Charges

Bangkok wants ousted leader to stand trial in Thailand on charges of terrorism for alleged role in bloody protests"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704026204575265750458640676.html

"Thai ex-PM Thaksin charged with terrorism after unrest

Posted 5/25/2010 8:08 AM | Comment"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-05-25-thailand-thaksin_N.htm

"Ex-PM Thaksin charged with terrorism

Kinan Suchaovanich

May 25, 2010"

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/expm-thaksin-charged-with-terrorism-20100525-waqf.html

"Ousted Thai PM charged under terror law he pushed"

http://arabnews.com/world/article497124.ece

"Thai court issues warrant for arrest of Thaksin Shinawatra

Fugitive former prime minister accused of fomenting two months of unrest in Bangkok in which 88 people died"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/25/thaksin-shinawatra-arrest-warrant-thailand

A long thread

Tell that to the Associated Press...

Thai ex-PM Thaksin charged with terrorism after unrest

BANGKOK (AP) — A Thai court issued an arrest warrant Tuesday for ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on terrorism charges, accusing the fugitive former leader of fomenting two months of unrest in Bangkok that left 88 people dead.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-05-25-thailand-thaksin_N.htm

btw, I had forgotten that one earlier when I posted seven arrest warrants still pending. That one makes eight outstanding arrest warrants against Thaksin.

Edited by Buchholz

I can't believe the incessant puling by many here!<br><br>Which part of "draft" did you not understand?<br><br>For Thaksin to come home and face the law there would have to be a semblance of a fair trial!<br>At present he is convicted of one thing that was a political stitch up and you all know it.<br>Let us hear you scream loudly at the zero members of the military that have been convicted of anything over the last 80 years!<br>Let me hear you scream loudly at the yellows who have never faced justice despite everything!<br>I assume all of you would want a level playing field in legal matters? Guess what it aint gonna happen anytime soon as the <br>military put in measures to keep any future government weak! <br><br>You people seem to forget the 20 coups or coup attempts in the last 80 or so years!<br><br>most of you don't have a clue about Thai history which for many only started when they got off the aeroplane!<br><br>Thaksin was no worse than the majority of PM's before him except in one area: he awakened the rural masses of the North<br>& North East and moved political sway away from Bangkok and its Elites and Amarts!<br>The establishment have got it into their minds that if they get rid of Thaksin they will get rid of the influence of the North and<br>North East!  Guess what the genie is out of the bottle and there is no way it is going back in!<br><br>Unfortunately I only see this going one way and that will probably end in a north and south Thailand!<br>

one other thing with global warming it is almost certain Bangkok will end up under water! Do you want to wait for it to happen before any plans are made?

Edited by PaulBax