Healthy Local Restaurants: No Msg, At Least 50% Thai Customers

Femme

Khun Churn, Taste of Heaven, Blue Diamond, Pun Pun, Aum, etc. etc they don't use MSG and are pesticide-careful, which I like. But visited mostly, if not only, by foreigners and travelers.

I heard about local restaurants & great Thai food but I am almost sure they use MSG, especially the 30 baht places. Even the 300 baht places where 98% of customers is Thai, put MSG in the food.

Thai food in local restaurants seem to be related with MSG and pesticide-unawareness. Please prove me wrong.

At the moment I crave for a veggie Khao Soi, but I want to try something else than the usual restaurants as mentioned above and other non-Thai places.

Hungry...need food!

Edited by Femme

MSG is not a spendy vs poor thing; it's thought of no differently than salt is in the West.

If anything, it's EASIER to avoid at 30 baht places for made-to-order food because you get to talk to the cook directly.

The Buddhist vegan ('jay') restaurants don't used it though. So if you find one that does Khao Soi then you're good to go.

What's the deal with wanting no 'Farang' places by the way? Don't think you can have it both ways: be high-horse-Western-food-conscious AND then also not wanting any (well, over 49%) high-horse-Western-foodists around you... O-kay.. ;) Either way, the Jay food places fit the bill. They're mostly not open in the evening.

Their's an Veggie restaurant on Suthep Road that does amazing Khao Soi. I've forgot the name of it but it's just past Wat Suan Dok on the same side of the road. Their's 3 vegan/veggie restaurants in a row and it's the last one, closest to the mountain.

I can link it on google maps when I get home if you want

I'm not sure I'd believe any restaurant that told me they didn't use MSG.

I think Khao Soi and Khao man Gai are probably 2 of the safest as a bit difficult to see where they would put it into the process.

I can see it. ;) The rice for Khao Man Kai is cooked with chicken chunks & chicken skin/fat and seasoning; easy to add MSG or seasoning that contains MSG in the process. In fact thats' what I do when making it at home. (Adding Ros Dee seasoning, which contains salt and MSG.)

Khao Soi you would absolutely positively add it to the big pan of curry/soup, if it's not already in the curry paste.

So these would actually be examples of dishes where it's hard (impossible) to take it out if ti's already in. Compare that to a 30-40 made-to-order stall where you order fried veggies or tom yam and can tell them to hold the Phong Choo Rot.

Compare that to a 30-40 made-to-order stall where you order fried veggies or tom yam and can tell them to hold the Phong Choo Rot.

Yeah, but they don't know what to do with it after holding it, so in it goes.

American English! biggrin.gif

Actually there's a couple of places I go, where the cooks great. Washes the pan out and definitely doesn't put MSG in if you say. Could be that I'm standing over her with a stick though.

Edited by uptheos

Angel's Secrets on Munmuang Road Soi 5 comes to mind. But not so sure that they meet your threshold of 50% Thai customers. The woman that runs the place is Thai, and serves food that wobbles between healthy (in the case of her cooked meals) and decadent (in the case of her deserts).

Edited by OriginalPoster

Having thought we had no msg in the house in our cooking, i've recently found out, according to a pretty reliable source, that msg is in the soy sauces used extensively in thai cooking. And that it's in oyster sauce too. Now, the reliable source could of course be wrong, but she's pretty good at this sort of thing.

My point is, that even if we ask the cook to avoid putting msg in directly, it could still get into the food through the other seasonings that are used so much in thai one dish meals.

We have been using a brand of light soy sauce that says jay on it, but when somebody mentioned to me that it had msg i checked the label. It did not say it had msg in it, but it did say it had E211 in it, which turns out to be sodium benzoate, a nasty little poison that our bodies will not like, especially as it builds up and up in our systems.

My mate has found a soy sauce or oyster sauce (can't recall which) in rimping which actually states on the label 'no msg'. Meanwhile i have found an organic soy sauce that has no msg, but this of course is only useful for home cooking.

I think msg is in all the stocks too.

It seems it's really quite hard to avoid, and is perhaps just a damage limitation thing.

It really is ironic and rather disappointing that for a people who have such delicious cuisine feel they need to use the stuff at all.

I also found out that all fish sauces are forced to have iodine in them due to government rulings.

I wonder if anyone is able to detect if what they eat has msg added to it? If so, what's the trick?!

Sorry i've not answered the OP directly yet, but still thinking. I would say though that khun churn has always had a lot of thais in it whenever i go there.

Angel's Secrets on Munmuang Road Soi 5 comes to mind. But not so sure that they meet your threshold of 50% Thai customers. The woman that runs the place is Thai, and serves food that wobbles between healthy (in the case of her cooked meals) and decadent (in the case of her deserts).

Angel's Secrets has some really nice veggie and brown rice dishes and excellent deserts. However, it is not in the 30 baht range, so cheap Charlies beware.

Also, Nice Kitchen on Muan Muang soi 6 has really good veggie dishes and brown rice too. It is not dirt cheap either but for the quality and quantity of the food, it is still a very good deal.

I do not think that either place uses MSG, but both places speak English well and are health conscious, so, if they normally do, they will will not add it if you ask them not to. I ask for Magi sauce to get my MSG fix as I think that it is in many foods naturally, bothers almost no one (who is not imagining it) and makes the flavor better.

Warning. Both places have mostly Western customers if that is a no-no.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Angel's Secrets has some really nice veggie and brown rice dishes and excellent deserts. However, it is not in the 30 baht range, so cheap Charlies beware.

Also, Nice Kitchen on Muan Muang soi 6 has really good veggie dishes and brown rice too. It is not dirt cheap either but for the quality and quantity of the food, it is still a very good deal.

I do not think that either place uses MSG, but both places speak English well and are health conscious, so, if they normally do, will will not add it if you ask them not to. I ask for Magi sauce to get my MSG fix as I think that it is in many foods naturally, bothers almost no one (who is not imagining it) and makes the flavor better.

Warning, both places have mostly Western customers if that is a no-no.

Try to run a place charging 30 baht per dish and let me know how it goes.

Um, it's a naturally occurring substance. Tomatoes, seaweed and many other foods are rich in msg.

It sounds like you have some quality time to spend with Wikipedia..

Having thought we had no msg in the house in our cooking, i've recently found out, according to a pretty reliable source, that msg is in the soy sauces used extensively in thai cooking. And that it's in oyster sauce too. Now, the reliable source could of course be wrong, but she's pretty good at this sort of thing.

My point is, that even if we ask the cook to avoid putting msg in directly, it could still get into the food through the other seasonings that are used so much in thai one dish meals.

We have been using a brand of light soy sauce that says jay on it, but when somebody mentioned to me that it had msg i checked the label. It did not say it had msg in it, but it did say it had E211 in it, which turns out to be sodium benzoate, a nasty little poison that our bodies will not like, especially as it builds up and up in our systems.

My mate has found a soy sauce or oyster sauce (can't recall which) in rimping which actually states on the label 'no msg'. Meanwhile i have found an organic soy sauce that has no msg, but this of course is only useful for home cooking.

I think msg is in all the stocks too.

It seems it's really quite hard to avoid, and is perhaps just a damage limitation thing.

It really is ironic and rather disappointing that for a people who have such delicious cuisine feel they need to use the stuff at all.

I also found out that all fish sauces are forced to have iodine in them due to government rulings.

I buy Japanese brand soy sauce btw not the Thai brand.

And when ingredients are printed in only Thai I ask supermarket staff (in Thai) if products contain MSG.

I hardly use ready made products (sauces, snacks)

Sorry, but I just feel more comfortable with Thais (Asians) around me. Don't shoot me, but an introvert culture produce introvert people. I know this is a whole different subject, but this is my explanation for the 50%.

I wonder if anyone is able to detect if what they eat has msg added to it? If so, what's the trick?!

Sorry i've not answered the OP directly yet, but still thinking. I would say though that khun churn has always had a lot of thais in it whenever i go there.

Khun Churn is one of my favourites, but I like variety.

And my body can tell when MSG is added... smile.gif

I went to the Thai veggie restaurant near Wat Phra Sing, and they were honest about their food containing MSG.

Ulysses G. I have noted your 3 recommendations.

Tingly tongue and bloating!

Op, if you ever go to Meechok Plaza (where Rimping's at), there's a noodle place off the northeast corner (dunno name) that states 'No MSG' (in Thai). The pork is really succulent and veggies crisp. Also does tasty chicken dishes. Always busy, 30-40 baht, 95% Thai; in fact, only ever seen one other whitey in there. It's next door to a ratna place (also good).

i would disagree with a few posts as there can be lots of msg in the food in "J" places

like the one from cm gate to smith residence on the left which has great kao soi with lots of msg.when you have food cooked to order you can ask them not to put it but with kao soi there is no such option ,and after inquiring why they have to put so much of it the answer was that the (thai) customers wants it.i think trace amounts are ok but if you watch them cook there goes a teaspoon of it in your food and it burns on my tongue to answer one post's question.it is white and looks like salt or sugar and when i see fit i stand next to them and have none of that white stuff-sugar salt or msg.when ordering -always ask may sai choorook(?) and they know already when they see you next time.

i would disagree with a few posts as there can be lots of msg in the food in "J" places<div>like the one from cm gate to smith residence on the left which has great kao soi with lots of msg.when you have food cooked to order you can ask them not to put it but with kao soi there is no such option ,and after inquiring why they have to put so much of it the answer was that the (thai) customers wants it.i think trace amounts are ok but if you watch them cook there goes a teaspoon of it in your food and it burns on my tongue to answer one post's question.it is white and looks like salt or sugar and when i see fit i stand next to them and have none of that white stuff-sugar salt or msg.when ordering -always ask may sai choorook(?) and they know already when they see you next time.</div>

And when ingredients are printed in only Thai I ask supermarket staff (in Thai) if products contain MSG.

Sorry, but I just feel more comfortable with Thais (Asians) around me. Don't shoot me, but an introvert culture produce introvert people. I know this is a whole different subject, but this is my explanation for the 50%.

No worries. You've been a member here just about one month, so with the Thaivisa honeymoon officially over I figured it time to poke a little. ;)

I'm pretty much the same, especially when first visiting new places.

WTK

No worries. You've been a member here just about one month, so with the Thaivisa honeymoon officially over I figured it time to poke a little. ;)

I'm pretty much the same, especially when first visiting new places.

WTK

WTK, I know you like to pinch and poke sometimes, I even have a nickname for you... biggrin.gif

When you misbehave badly, I will use it smile.gif

@uptoyoumyfriend: "after inquiring why they have to put so much of it the answer was that(thai) customers wants it"

Local restaurants use MSG, because locals like it. Easy like that.

So it's me who basically need to stop hoping to find local places without E211, because they for sure won't stop using it as long as regular Thai customers want it.

But recommendations are still welcome smile.gif

What's the big deal with MSG?

Just looked it up and has been used for years in food.

What are the symptoms of consuming it? Is it just one of those latest paranoia things that has cropped up in the last 20 years suggesting that everything is bad for you?

Just curious to know why it is bad for you and what evidence is available to support this?

What's the big deal with MSG?

Just looked it up and has been used for years in food.

What are the symptoms of consuming it? Is it just one of those latest paranoia things that has cropped up in the last 20 years suggesting that everything is bad for you?

Just curious to know why it is bad for you and what evidence is available to support this?

I don't know if it is "bad" for you or not. I remember a big controversy in the U.S. a good 30+?? years ago when it was reported that it caused cancer in laboratory rats. In Los Angeles at the time, and it was on the news every day, nobody would step foot in a Chinese restaurant. Finally, one by one every Chinese restaurant in town put a big sign in the window "No MSG" and people returned.

For me it makes me me feel light-headed and jittery.

MSG is no light matter for some people. Some people get very severe reactions to it. But, at the same time, is it reasonable to "immigrate" to a place like Chiang Mai and expect such sensitivity at local restaurants, let alone 30 baht places?! I haven't the foggiest idea whether or not Thais or seemingly misplaced farang have greater sensitivity to MSG, but if you don't like the oysters here, then you might import your own!

On a practical level, people who seem to eat their way around town, like UG, can help you, or eat at home after shopping at Rimping checking the labels. Otherwise, foodies, please don't get snotty! Or go back to places where they now print "NO MSG" on their menus! Very few people (except those seriously affected) even knew that MSG existed until about 20 years ago! Oy!

I have read a number of studies done about the reported bad effects of MSG. I have yet to see one that actually supports the ideal that MSG in fact has those reported negative effects. Basically I think this is not actually a real problem based on this scientific evidence and my own personal experience that MSG does not have negative short term side effects.

Also if you are still certain you don't want MSG just please don't be one of the militant people. I've actually seen restaurant operators being accused of *lying* about the MSG content of their food when some patrons were going on one of these crusades. It is completely unreasonable behavior in my opinion... not saying you're one of those guys, though.

Everything that you ever wanted to know about MSG:

The fact is that, since the eighties, mainstream science has got bored of MSG. Some research continues; in 2002, for example, New Scientist got very excited over a report that MSG might damage your eyesight, after Japanese scientists announced that they had produced retinal thinning in baby rats fed with MSG. It turned out they were putting 20 grams of MSG in every 100g of rat food - an amazing amount, given that, in the UK, we adults consume about four grams of it each a week. (One project took people who were convinced their asthma was caused by MSG and fed them up to six grams of it a day, without ill-effects). However, at no time has any official body, governmental or academic, ever found it necessary to warn humans against consuming MSG.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3