Can I Teach In Thailand Without A Degree?

lozrich

As others have stated it is very difficult but not impossible. I have known a guy for many years who has had many jobs in BKK, no degree at all but a TEFL, also he only used agents, he is no longer in Thailand, he has gone home to the UK.

He also had work at Language centres as well which kept him busy in the evenings and at the weekends. Part time at some Colleges could be easy to get but Universities are very difficult to get into without a degree (nearly impossible), but if you want to try your luck give it a go.

Which country are you from?

This is the topic in the Phuket sub-forum on the issue of relaxing criteria for teaching English. I would not hold my breath that the Ministry of Labor or the Ministry of Education and the Thai Teacher's Council will go along with the scheme:

It does make me laugh that people are still on here talking about how you will not get a work permit, you have to work illegally and in rural areas with a poor salary.

I have been teaching in Thailand for 13 years. I have held a work permit for all of those years. I have worked in Bangkok with a work permit. I receive the same money as those with a degree.

The school that I now teach at is listed in the top 50 in Thailand. The last one was in the top 10. Does not sound rural to me.

I pay tax, get sick leave and holidays(paid). I am in the social security scheme. I also have a 12 month contract.

I am currently working towards a degree in Education. The reason for this is the TCT not the Labour office.

I have been told first hand by several different labour offices that the requirement is to show Education certificates and to have a letter of recommendation from a school and the local education office.

The answer to the original question is Yes.

Go in smart. Show them what you can do. Be polite and make yourself an asset to the school.

Should be no problem.

It does make me laugh that people are still on here talking about how you will not get a work permit, you have to work illegally and in rural areas with a poor salary.

I have been teaching in Thailand for 13 years. I have held a work permit for all of those years. I have worked in Bangkok with a work permit. I receive the same money as those with a degree.

The school that I now teach at is listed in the top 50 in Thailand. The last one was in the top 10. Does not sound rural to me.

I pay tax, get sick leave and holidays(paid). I am in the social security scheme. I also have a 12 month contract.

I am currently working towards a degree in Education. The reason for this is the TCT not the Labour office.

I have been told first hand by several different labour offices that the requirement is to show Education certificates and to have a letter of recommendation from a school and the local education office.

Go in smart. Show them what you can do. Be polite and make yourself an asset to the school.

Should be no problem.

Good point.

The most perfect foreign teacher is the one:

- with TEFL/TESOL or CELTA qualification

- with a degree (pref a masters) in English teaching

- in the age between 35-45

- married and with a family

- with 5-10 years experience

- being a native speaker of English

in that case you will be hired blindly.

Being NOT native and/or NOT having experience and/or NOT having a degree and/or NOT having a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA qualification will make things more difficult but not impossible. It widely depends on your looks, knowledge, presentation and attitude.

I think we will stick to the topic and the current situation for the OP. For people who started teaching many years ago, the regulations were not the same as they are today. There was no Teacher's Council, for example. Rules concerning degrees were quite frequently not enforced and people with various diplomas (but not a BA) were granted visas, work permits and a Teacher's License. Those granted a Teacher's License before 2003 (I believe), were grandfathered through.

Starting a career in teaching today is very different than it was in the past.

I agree with you Scott. The glaring difference is that the rural areas are no longer the haven for teachers without a degree because the Director of the school knows so and so.

The last time I applied for a work permit was in a new province. No degree, no mention of previous experience. They were not to know that I had been teaching here a long time. The only help from the Director of the school was his signature on the usual documents.

In my view the TCT have made things easier. They will issue a waiver without a degree. The Labour offices and immigration seem to go along with the idea that if the TCT say it is OK then no problem.

In my view the TCT have made things easier. They will issue a waiver without a degree. The Labour offices and immigration seem to go along with the idea that if the TCT say it is OK then no problem.

In that perspective, yes, puchooay.

However, in many cases the second provisional teaching permit will not be granted.

As others have stated it is very difficult but not impossible. I have known a guy for many years who has had many jobs in BKK, no degree at all but a TEFL, also he only used agents, he is no longer in Thailand, he has gone home to the UK.

He also had work at Language centres as well which kept him busy in the evenings and at the weekends. Part time at some Colleges could be easy to get but Universities are very difficult to get into without a degree (nearly impossible), but if you want to try your luck give it a go.

Which country are you from?

Thanks beano2274, i am from the UK.

In your opinion, do you think it would be best to use agents? I presume these are easily sourced via the internet?

I am travelling to Thailand in December for a holiday and hope to be able to gather some more info then.

Should be no problem.

thanks puchooay, very encouraging!

It is still not impossible to teach conversational/low level TEFL legally without an undergraduate college degree. However, it is getting harder than it used to be to get the paperwork completely arranged and make a long-term go of it, especially in Bangkok. Not really recommended, but not impossible.