The next generation Honda CR-V has been unveiled in US form:

2012hondacrv1.jpg

2012hondacrv4.jpg

2012hondacrv7.jpg

2012hondacrv10.jpg

2012hondacrv13.jpg

2012hondacrv15.jpg

2012hondacrv11625x447.jpg

The new CR-V was originally due for a TH release next month, but it seems the best we'll do this year is a preview at the Motor Expo, with deliveries now delayed until Q3/Q4 2012.

Engines carry over from the existing models, but with some new refinements and tuning the 2.4L now makes a slightly more healthy 188HP / 221Nm. Not much else is known about what we'll receive in the Thai-spec versions when they surface late next year, but the basic styling will almost certainly mirror what's seen here in the USA version.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I think the previous civic looked better than the new one (first civic where you could mention semi agressive styling as a plus), whilst not unattractive this offering pales compared to the revision of the new escape imo, but escape being a ford in thailand, will not hold as high a resale value (not as much a concern for people who sit on their cars for more than 5 years before changing). at least the grill on the front of this is more prominent, new civic reminds me of a 90s odessy van from the front

Edited by caphant

I think the previous civic looked better than the new one (first civic where you could mention semi agressive styling as a plus), whilst not unattractive this offering pales compared to the revision of the new escape imo, but escape being a ford in thailand, will not hold as high a resale value (not as much a concern for people who sit on their cars for more than 5 years before changing). at least the grill on the front of this is more prominent, new civic reminds me of a 90s odessy van from the front. small rear window and pillars may mean blind spots and visibility issues.

Agreed, the 2012 Escape makes this look like a mid-life facelift to the existing CR-V, not an "all-new model" (in quotation fingers as it maintains the old drivetrains).

As for Ford resale values, that's yet to be seen... You can't base any projections on resale based on historical averages, given the massive shift in direction, and the huge market share gains made with Ford's newer designs. Resale is all about popularity, supply and demand - and given the pro-Ford buzz I've been seeing on the Thai-languange forums and social networks, it's clear that Ford are screaming up the popularity charts.. It will take a while for Ford to make a serious dent in market share In TH, but they're well on the way..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Where is the Civic Caphant , looks like a CRV to me , with very nice leather chairs.. Thats my sort of Quality n Build , like a Mitsu . Luvly grub , not a Korean in sight. .

The crv crossover is based on the civic platform, like the previous escape/tribute was based on the mazda 6 platform (mazda on stilts), i agree with you on the nice leather seats, definately look inviting! Not much a fan of the more conservative looks of the new civic and thus this crv, I agree with MRO, this appears more of a facelift for honda than a new model when comparing changes, but thats largely because the outgoing escape was so long in the tooth :lol:

if given a choice ill always choose substance of style, so if escape has tacky plastic again, then crv would have my vote!

but thats largely because the outgoing escape was so long in the tooth :lol:

Hehe, yep. I'm sure we'll see some disingenuous motoring journo's claiming the new Escape "has skipped forward 2 generations", but for markets that never recieived the Kuga in 2008, it sure feels like it's missed a generation ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• 7 months later...

Looks old already. Give it 2 years and it will look like all other CRV's. And contrary to what someone else said. The latest Korean SUV's are a better package. Only problem is they don't appear to be competitive or readily available in Thailand.

I can only assume it's to protect local manufacture. Hence the reason most Toyotas and Hondas in Thailand are expensive and low spec compared to US or Europe.

CRV has it a bit tougher now with the new trailblazer and new Escape breathing down their necks, as well as the various import SUVs including Countryman, Hyundai, etc (each of which sells only a few but put together must be a bit of a dent). Even the BMW X1 must be a bit of a threat given that it is only about 2m baht these days, as the options and so forth start to see the prices creeping up around 1.5m baht for a decently specced CRV.

No doubt will still sell a ton of them, assuming they can get them to the market. Am I right to think the trailblazer is same sort of market as the CRV or would Chevvy be putting the craptiva up against the CRV? With pick up based SUVs getting more and more advanced, would guess that the gap is narrowing between the car like SUVs and the pick up derived ones, MRO you are the expert, what is the mindset here for the car companies, keep doing both and enjoy the tax credits?

I would have thought many CRV buyers would also have considered a Fortuner in the past, even though the engineering is quite different the end result is an SUV.

The back end though, looks fine from some angles and a bit bulky from others especially looking from the front.

Personally, I like the Skoda Yeti ;-) 'Tis a fine automobile.

CRV is a lot smaller than a Fortuner. Put them next to each other and you'll see the difference. Does the new CRV have a bigger fuel tank? I considered buying one a couple of years ago. But after reading comments on this site about fuel tank I declined.

Skoda Yeti....surely your kidding. I know it got great reviews, but man it's one hell of an ugly vehicle.

Seeing them on the road here in America. . .

They look nice. A little bigger and modern than the last CR-V; but, it doesn't make the last generation look outdated. The rear tail lights remind me of the Volvo SUVs. It looks cool: haven't driven one.