Well Water Testing

connda

I'm on the same quest and went to CMU last week to be shunted around from one place to another for half an hour, finally ending up at the right one. It's called the Science and Technology Service Center and is right next to the Chemistry department building and across the street from the Physics department and is a pink building with a large gateway type banner with the name of it on the top.

I originally went to the Water Department in Wurlai Road and was given a leaflet that seemed to offer water testing for about 1500 baht but told that it would take two months (maybe done in BKK?). They sent me to CMU where I was given the attached list of tests and their prices. The problem is that they weren't able to tell me what I needed to test for (I'd like to know if we can filter it further and use it for drinking) and doing all the tests will set you back 15000 baht or the equivalent of 18000 litres of the bottled stuff.

The obvious things would include heavy metals, nitrates and coliform bacteria - maybe someone else here can come up with a list. BTW this thread might get more response in the DIY Housing Forum. Mods??

PS Thanks to Tywais for supplying me with the correct name and location of the STCC

post-40471-0-50238300-1321539246_thumb.j

Edited by Greenside

I'm on the same quest and went to CMU last week to be shunted around from one place to another for half an hour, finally ending up at the right one. It's called the Science and Technology Service Center and is right next to the Chemistry department building and across the street from the Physics department and is a pink building with a large gateway type banner with the name of it on the top.

I originally went to the Water Department in Wurlai Road and was given a leaflet that seemed to offer water testing for about 1500 baht but told that it would take two months (maybe done in BKK?). They sent me to CMU where I was given the attached list of tests and their prices. The problem is that they weren't able to tell me what I needed to test for (I'd like to know if we can filter it further and use it for drinking) and doing all the tests will set you back 15000 baht or the equivalent of 18000 litres of the bottled stuff.

The obvious things would include heavy metals, nitrates and coliform bacteria - maybe someone else here can come up with a list. BTW this thread might get more response in the DIY Housing Forum. Mods??

PS Thanks to Tywais for supplying me with the correct name and location of the STCC

Thanks for the excellent info! :)

If you are able to find out, please post a list of the minimum that should be tested for in order to qualify the water as fit for human consumption.

453597629_gn46z-L.jpg

"...and you've met Dr Somchai who heads up the purification and

hygiene division as well as the labelling department."

Edited by Greenside

I have attached a typical water analysis result from a water well in Thailand. The first column in the results shows the tested result of the sample and the next two columns are the maximum recommended and maximum allowable values.

post-42103-0-03765100-1321630381_thumb.j

You have possibly even drunk this particular water as beer or soda water.

I am very interested in doing a survey of open water in Chiang Mai to see which lakes and or rivers are safe to swim in.

I guess I should be testing for parasites that are common in fresh water in Asia apparently and levels of fecal matter in the water. I regularly swim in the lake next to Green Lake Resort, have been in the Mae Khan out at Ob Khan, was canoeing on the River Ping the other day but would not swim in it, I think. I no longer swim in Huay Tung Thao as it seems pretty filthy and I think I was getting rashes after swimming in there. I am pretty sure that the Mae Ngat reservoir is very clean.

Have seen previously on these forums that parents are generally advised against allowing their kids in any water except a swimming pool but want to know if this is a real danger.

I guess I would need the advice of a doctor to know what to test for.

I have attached a typical water analysis result from a water well in Thailand. The first column in the results shows the tested result of the sample and the next two columns are the maximum recommended and maximum allowable values.

From bitter experience, the Mn in this sample is way too high. what will happen is that at night, as the temp drops, the Mn will precipitate out onto the inside surface of the water pipes and eventually block them. Its particularly severe in winter time. The Mn also blocks water heater elements causing them to burn out.

• 4 months later...

From bitter experience, the Mn in this sample is way too high. what will happen is that at night, as the temp drops, the Mn will precipitate out onto the inside surface of the water pipes and eventually block them. Its particularly severe in winter time. The Mn also blocks water heater elements causing them to burn out.

Manganese seems to be a problem with most water supplies in Thailand. Here is some more information on it. http://www.bae.ncsu....wqwm/he394.html Simon, Are you sure it was the manganese that was precipitating out or could it have been calcium?