John Ball

uptheos

I don't know how many people knew John Ball, a long time resident of Chiang Mai (about 25 years I think). He died at home, I'm not sure of the details but I understand his body is being moved to Suandok for a postmortem.John used to frequent all the usual places (Black Cat) John's, Domino's (True Blue) and the Escape. He also used to go around with Dennis of Hillpiggy sticks fame. He could be cantankerous, but had a great sense of humour.

I liked him.

RIP John

Edited by uptheos

Very sad news indeed. Knew John and Dennis for probably over 20 years, back to the days of the original darts and pool league. Yes a real character. Uptheos it would be nice if you can have this put under the Page of Remembrance, if you as the OP would consider it...... John is just the type of long timer for which that thread was designed.

Rest in peace John, and thoughts and prayers go out to your friends and family.

Gonzo

I lived next door to John over 20 years ago till I moved house. He had a wry sense of humour, and never had a wrong word to say about anybody. We still met up in the ensuing years. It was only the other week that his name came up in conversation. Very sad news indeed. Rest in peace old friend.

Very sad news indeed. Knew John and Dennis for probably over 20 years, back to the days of the original darts and pool league. Yes a real character. Uptheos it would be nice if you can have this put under the Page of Remembrance, if you as the OP would consider it...... John is just the type of long timer for which that thread was designed.

Rest in peace John, and thoughts and prayers go out to your friends and family.

Gonzo

Have pasted my section under The Page of Remembrance as requested.

For those that miss the Rememberance section...

Long term Chiang Mai resident John Ball dies.

In poor health for a considerable time, John passed away peacefully of pneumonia at home on Friday 18th November.

His long term houseboy Manop was by his side.

Born in London in 1929, John served with an RAF Spitfire squadron in Singapore - which began his love of Asia.

He was a sales manager with a number of major retail companies in Britain and retired from J & P Coats before settling in Thailand.

He was active in the Chiang Mai darts league and well respected for his astute record keeping.

John has bequeathed all of his UK assets to a hospital charity in memory of his beloved son Mark, who died aged 16.

In accordance with his wishes his cremation was private.

Thanks to Lt. Sawangpong and his team from Chiang Mai Central Police for their quiet efficiency.

Special thanks to live - in nurse Charin for his compassionate assistance and care for John in his time of need.

R.I.P.