Anybody Selling A Cat Cdma Dongle In Koh Samui Or Koh Phangan?

kossamu

Im getting disconnected even if I have 5 of 5 bars on the wifi at the hotel. Losing internet aint acceptable in my work so I went to the CAT CDMA shop in Nathon in Koh Samui as I heard that it should be quite stable.

But they said that they didnt have any until the beginning of Jan. I got recommended to post here to ask if anybody has a dongle to sell.

Im leaving Thailand 8th of Dec so it would be good to get it as soon as possible.

You can get an AIS dongle from Tesco. Perfectly acceptable for most things....I wouldn't want to be FOREX trading with it though! biggrin.gif

Im a professional poker player so a disconnection not okay at all. I have only heard that CAT CDMA works fine from other poker players so Im not that interested in trying something else and go over the same disconnection problems again,

Edited by kossamu

if you are interested i can rent my balcony for a small fee, all my installation is on UPS, i'll of course close an eye on this illegal activity happening on my balcony :)

You should demand a bottle of Johnnie Walker for any top three finishes.....it is your lucky balcony after all! cool.gif

In tesco chaweng one of the phone shops (on the left about 3 up heading towards homepro) have a cat counter and they sell the dongle with sim card and pay as you go cards for various lenghts of time, 1 day up to 15 days (i think) stable enough for poker and much better than a normal ais (or similar) aircard which only has edge capabilities and speed.

In tesco chaweng one of the phone shops (on the left about 3 up heading towards homepro) have a cat counter and they sell the dongle with sim card and pay as you go cards for various lenghts of time, 1 day up to 15 days (i think) stable enough for poker and much better than a normal ais (or similar) aircard which only has edge capabilities and speed.

Apart from the true 3g data sim which is very fast. ( At the risk of repeating myself)

It's not the speed that is the issue for poker, but rather the stability of the connection. Do you get any dropouts with the True 3g card? The reason poker players prefer Cat CDMA is that it never drops out.

Yes I understand that for poker players dropouts would be a nightmare.

Sadly I have not had the 3g true for long enough to answer your question re. dropouts.

Check them out at Tescos, ask them the question and look them in the eye when they answer! Ha ha! If I remember correctly, the unlimited usage package was about 7 hundred and something bahts a month which is pretty good considering the mobility factor.

I went for the 30 hrs per month package for 150 bahts as I don't actually need internet that much away from my desktop. It will stream YouTube for me on my tablet, so that's not too bad!

• 2 weeks later...

I am selling a MiFi for use with CAT CDMA. I have been very happy with it and used it as my main source of Internet for four months on KPG. I get around 1.5mbits and can download YouTube videos, movies, etc.... am leaving Thailand soon. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I have always been happy with my CDMA 727 dongle, both here on Samui & anywhere I have traveled in southern Thailand...(No work in BKK).

I have noticed that JIB computer Shop in /Bophut/Chawang (opposite Mskro or is it Big C??) is selling newer model CDMA dongles, assume one goes to CAT office to activate and set up billing?

A Thai friend on KP says True is coming up next month with something that is supposed to be better... whether that actually will be next month is anyone's guess :rolleyes:

Other sim cards, never worked well, if one was away from "built up" areas on KP or Samui (based on trying on Ipad)..

Might be worth contacting DavidMavec about his Mifi... make sure to get the address changed and transferred into your name through CAT... if you get a second hand one... ;)