Remote Working From Thailand

I am currently working for a transnational IT company in the UK. Many of my colleagues work over the internet from their homes and I would like to do this; I have owned a condo in central Bangkok for several years. My company is amenable to this idea but want to know how to pay me and remain within Thai law. I know lots of people do this kind of thing on the quiet but how would I set about this officially. When I return to Thailand in a few weeks it will be initially on a tourist visa. Any suggestions?

TIA

-Robin

You need a work permit and appropriate Visa to be legit and legal, anything else is running the risk of fines, jail and or deportation.

I wouldnt fancy trying to argue any "gray areas" with a Thai official who has already decided your nicked !

Edited by CharlieH

You need a work permit and appropriate Visa to be legit and legal, anything else is running the risk of fines, jail and or deportation.

I wouldnt fancy trying to argue any "gray areas" with a Thai official who has already decided your nicked !

Quite! Has anyone got any got information on how to do this? I will be back in Bangkok in a couple of weeks, should I see a lawyer?

Don't get your knickers in a twist. It's been well documented over the years that immigration isn't very interested in foreigners pounding on their computers at home, as long as the economic activity is happening outside Thailand and the pay is deposited outside Thailand. For the OP to go legal would be a huge hassle and large overhead. However, if not over 50, the other tolerable grey area would probably be the ED visa, studying Thai for four hours a week. By all means the OP should explore exactly what would be needed to be official, but I reckon he isn't going to be thrilled with what he learns.

Edited by Jingthing

There is no gray area according to Phuket immigration/DOL ?.....they stated defintively a few months ago in an article that working on-line required a WP

If the company that he is working for "on line" is not registered in Thailand, how does he get a work permit?

There is no gray area according to Phuket immigration/DOL ?.....they stated defintively a few months ago in an article that working on-line required a WP

If the company that he is working for "on line" is not registered in Thailand, how does he get a work permit?

Needs to register a thai entity...it could be a Ltd company or possibly even a representative office

I suspect that the company wouldn't speng the money to register the company to accomodate him unless he's a "non-expendable" employee.

Needs to register a thai entity...it could be a Ltd company or possibly even a representative office

I think that you should look up the definition of amenable. The definition that applies is "willing". Which means that they are willing to have him live in Thailand and work on line for them. But, will they be willing if they understand what it will cost to register their company in Thailand to allow him to do it legally? Company registration is not cheap.

My company is amenable to this idea but want to know how to pay me and remain within Thai law

Its pretty clear what his employers want.

I think that you should look up the definition of amenable. The definition that applies is "willing". Which means that they are willing to have him live in Thailand and work on line for them. But, will they be willing if they understand what it will cost to register their company in Thailand to allow him to do it legally? Company registration is not cheap.

My company is amenable to this idea but want to know how to pay me and remain within Thai law

"know how to pay me and remain within Thai law"

If the shit hits the fan immigration wont be debating the word" amenable.

Read the post again, .... it doesn't say nearly within the law.

Quite! Has anyone got any got information on how to do this? I will be back in Bangkok in a couple of weeks, should I see a lawyer?

hi .just get paid into a hole in the wall .and take it out as you need it . as simple as that . count the bank fees as tax, james hat yai

I'm an American and by being an American I read, write and speak English. But I don't have a clue as to what you just said so let's just end this right now. I give up, I quit!

"know how to pay me and remain within Thai law"

If the shit hits the fan immigration wont be debating the word" amenable.

Read the post again, .... it doesn't say nearly within the law.