PM Yingluck's Gaffe - Remember Your Lines

webfact

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She has the uncanny ability like her brother to inject the buzz words in, but is not sufficiently PR savvy to handle questions and provide neutral listeners with a feeling of having learned something and appreciating the interviewee's commentary (this is the art of being a good public speaker....making the listener feel this has occurred while actually providing the talking points you wish to put forward irrespective of the questions asked).

What???

example: we want to say that we are solving the Thai flood crisis, focused 100% on that, look good for media

Question

What would you comment on the Taksin pardon with thailand flooded?

Bad answer

I dont' know anything on that, I am not sure, it will be done fair etc etc (Yingluck now)

Good answer

Well the real question at the moment is what we are focused on as the newly elected government, and I can tell you as PM we are 100% focused on flood control, and not on any other issues including the one you raise. let me elaborate and explain exactly what FROC has been working on regarding the flood....etc etc (Yingluck if she knew something about basic bridging techniques, avoidance and public speaking)

(listener hears first one, angry; hears second one, feels like PM has some control on doing stuff)

their intelligence isn't brought into question by their lack of English speaking skills.

Engilish communication skills aside, the intelligence of someone can be discerned by the content of what they say, particularly in interviews and debates. Have you watched that ABC interview with Yingluck from before the election that has been posted earlier in this thread? Do you see a lot of substance and insight in her responses?

I disagree.

If a person is speaking non-native language, and especially a language that the person struggles with. you will not get a good impression of that person's intelligence.

steveromagnino states that there is little substance when she speaks Thai too. I have not seen any evidence to prove otherwise, so it would be good if you could provide such evidence.

Must be a quiet day if her slip of the tongue is the talk of the town

For political language gaffs i suggest

G.W.Bush - nuff said (and i won't even go into HRH Prince Phillip and his use of language)

Thanks, I've always ended up on the floor laughing and pissin' myself at this pic of Georgie!! Made my morning!

Yean, Dumbya was dreadful, but sometimes he pulled off a good one. When Chinese "president" Hu Jintao was at the head of state arrival ceremony at the White House with Bush, Hu was introduced as the "President of the Republic of China," a deliberate offensive remark given that everyone knows the reference is to Taiwan. Later, when Hu started to leave the podium to review the troops Bush grabbed him by the sleeve of his suit and said not to go anywhere yet. George is an idiot but sometimes a precious one.

Engilish communication skills aside, the intelligence of someone can be discerned by the content of what they say, particularly in interviews and debates. Have you watched that ABC interview with Yingluck from before the election that has been posted earlier in this thread? Do you see a lot of substance and insight in her responses?

I disagree.

If a person is speaking non-native language, and especially a language that the person struggles with. you will not get a good impression of that person's intelligence.

steveromagnino states that there is little substance when she speaks Thai too. I have not seen any evidence to prove otherwise, so it would be good if you could provide such evidence.

He's not alone in that assessment....

A well-known media personality, Somkiat Onwimon, who has more than 70,000 followers on Twitter tweeted (in Thai) after the press conference:

Having listened to the statement by Prime Minister Yingluck in response to Secretary Hillary Clinton, I found that her formal English communication was as terrible as her Thai

https://twitter.com/#%21/somkiatonwimon/status/136834663674155009

You totally missed the point. You both have opinions on her leadership, but this thread is about the supposed language "gaffe" she made and how she appears dumb to you and others because her English skills are not up to scratch.

She has the uncanny ability like her brother to inject the buzz words in, but is not sufficiently PR savvy to handle questions and provide neutral listeners with a feeling of having learned something and appreciating the interviewee's commentary (this is the art of being a good public speaker....making the listener feel this has occurred while actually providing the talking points you wish to put forward irrespective of the questions asked).

What???

example: we want to say that we are solving the Thai flood crisis, focused 100% on that, look good for media

Question

What would you comment on the Taksin pardon with thailand flooded?

Bad answer

I dont' know anything on that, I am not sure, it will be done fair etc etc (Yingluck now)

Good answer

Well the real question at the moment is what we are focused on as the newly elected government, and I can tell you as PM we are 100% focused on flood control, and not on any other issues including the one you raise. let me elaborate and explain exactly what FROC has been working on regarding the flood....etc etc (Yingluck if she knew something about basic bridging techniques, avoidance and public speaking)

(listener hears first one, angry; hears second one, feels like PM has some control on doing stuff)

OK. Thanks for the explanation.

You totally missed the point. You both have opinions on her leadership, but this thread is about the supposed language "gaffe" she made and how she appears dumb to you and others because her English skills are not up to scratch.

Her Thai skills seem to be lacking, as well.

and yet theres more

I just knew it was the U.N. Secretary-General's fault the Thai floods got worse.

Thanks, Yingluck, for confirming.

The big picture truth comes out. The United Nations is one of the vehicles (together with groups like the Council on Foreign Relations, Trilateral Commission, Bildeberg group) of The New World Order that the world's elite have been working on for decades - one global government with a small group of elite in total control of the entire world, with the population of ordinary people micro-chipped. These imperialistic elites engineer crises and terrorist attacks in order to weaken the population of a country and later come in posing as saviors and imposing draconian laws that go against civil rights in the guise of national security, when their real underlying goal is of strengthening their power and control over the ordinary people.

Yingluck's admission that the UN Secretary General elevated the flood crisis reveals that she has been conspiring with this group of ruthless elite, which Thaksin has most probably already been part of for some time via global elite clubs like Council on Foreign Relations and Chatham House:

shinawatra_9-18-06.jpg

:D

Edited by hyperdimension

My general point is that we have a bimbo leading Thailand.

What skills are lacking and how do you know?

As elucidated in previous posts here regarding steveromagnino and Somkiat Onwimon and reports in the other paper that have her handlers worried about her lack of Thai communication skills.

What skills are lacking and how do you know?

As elucidated in previous posts here regarding steveromagnino and Somkiat Onwimon and reports in the other paper that have her handlers worried about her lack of Thai communication skills.

OK, so it's merely speculation based on hearsay from others.

My general point is that we have a bimbo leading Thailand.

Your original point was that a person with poor English skills must be unintelligent.

This thread is about her English skills.

If you see my previous post to which you disagreed, I wrote "English communication skills aside", which means I was commenting in terms of her communication skills in general, and not specifically about her English:

Engilish communication skills aside, the intelligence of someone can be discerned by the content of what they say, particularly in interviews and debates.

If you have evidence of her responses that you think reveal intellect or insight, either in English or Thai, I'd like to see it, as I have seen none.

I've seen some long interviews, for example, with Lee Kwan Yew, and I could really get a sense of his depth of thought, wisdom, and his keen awareness of a variety of issues faced by Singapore and of the rest of the world.

Edited by hyperdimension

If you have evidence of her responses that you think reveal intellect or insight, either in English or Thai, I'd like to see it, as I have seen none.

I've seen some long interviews, for example, with Lee Kwan Yew, and I could really get a sense of his depth of thought, wisdom, and his keen awareness of a variety of issues faced by Singapore and of the rest of the world.

We're discussing different things here.

You made a comment that you consider her unintelligent because of her English language skills.

I'm not interested in getting into a debate about her skills as a leader. She'll be picked apart, insulted and harassed by the media on a daily basis as is every leader on earth. Such is the nature of politics.

How stupid foreigners can be. I'd like to see Hillary Clinton do a speech in Thai language and then we'll see if she spells more than 1 word wrong. Yingluck is the PM of Thailand, not of the United States. The language that she has to speak is Thai, not English. There are plenty of heads of state that speak in their native language and use translators to translate the speeches in English. Most UN ambassadors use translators when they listen to speeches in English, and I don't see anyone calling them stupid.

Most foreigners bashing Yingluck in this thread probably can't even order toilet paper to wipe their bums in Thai language. So take a look at yourself before going after others.

She seems to have the backing of the UN Secretary General, Hillary Clinton and Obama have all praised her. I think she could care less what an anonymous forum poster over the past 8 pages has said.

Edited by mrfarang

How stupid foreigners can be. I'd like to see Hillary Clinton do a speech in Thai language and then we'll see if she spells more than 1 word wrong. Yingluck is the PM of Thailand, not of the United States. The language that she has to speak is Thai, not English. There are plenty of heads of state that speak in their native language and use translators to translate the speeches in English. Most UN ambassadors use translators when they listen to speeches in English, and I don't see anyone calling them stupid.

Most foreigners bashing Yingluck in this thread probably can't even order toilet paper to wipe their bums in Thai language. So take a look at yourself before going after others.

She seems to have the backing of the UN Secretary General, Hillary Clinton and Obama have all praised her. I think she could care less what an anonymous forum poster over the past 8 pages has said.

Well said!

Well said!

Well said? Really? He is completely missing the picture that Yingluck was educated in the US, including a masters, and speak English at a level that is typical of a bar-girl that has never left the country. Now, if any users on this forum is using their second, third or fourth language to communicate here...are we then allowed to criticize the PM?

Well said!

Well said? Really? He is completely missing the picture that Yingluck was educated in the US, including a masters, and speak English at a level that is typical of a bar-girl that has never left the country. Now, if any users on this forum is using their second, third or fourth language to communicate here...are we then allowed to criticize the PM?

Government bashers like yourself keep using the cheapest possible ways to attack the prime minister, which lessens the impact of anything actually substantive you have to offer. Thousands of well-healed Thais have gone abroad to study in English speaking countries and have come back with very little improvement in their English speaking skills. Usually this is because they don't integrate much with the local people and often stick to whatever Thai community they find in the vicinity. But Yingluck is your target and there isn't a reasonable thing in this world she could do that would cause you to say anything positive about her. Not that your opinion on these matters counts anywhere apart from inside your household.

When it comes to the sophistication of accusations by anti-gov/red posters on this forum, we've seen everything from attacks on their weight, intelligence, sexuality and even their footwear. It makes a mockery of those trying to keep a level head and nailing the gov/reds on quantifiable, provable wrongdoings. You are making a joke out of yourselves because the reasonable accusations aren't enough for you. Quit while you are ahead and stop turning people off your cause with the ludicrous statements your hunger for whatever (is it revenge? spouting off on a forum? saving Thailand from itself? do let me know...) requires.

Edited by hanuman1

Government bashers like yourself keep using the cheapest possible ways to attack the prime minister, which lessens the impact of anything actually substantive you have to offer. Thousands of well-healed Thais have gone abroad to study in English speaking countries and have come back with very little improvement in their English speaking skills. Usually this is because they don't integrate much with the local people and often stick to whatever Thai community they find in the vicinity. But Yingluck is your target and there isn't a reasonable thing in this world she could do that would cause you to say anything positive about her. Not that your opinion on these matters counts anywhere apart from inside your household.

When it comes to the sophistication of accusations by anti-gov/red posters on this forum, we've seen everything from attacks on their weight, intelligence, sexuality and even their footwear. It makes a mockery of those trying to keep a level head and nailing the gov/reds on quantifiable, provable wrongdoings. You are making a joke out of yourselves because the reasonable accusations aren't enough for you. Quit while you are ahead and stop turning people off your cause with the ludicrous statements your hunger for whatever (is it revenge? spouting off on a forum? saving Thailand from itself? do let me know...) requires.

The 'gaffe' as described in the OP is peanuts, not worthwhile to discuss. Interesting are all comments on it. Mind you studying abroad, having to write some papers in ENGLISH in order to obtain a BA/MA suggest a certain mastery of the English language AND/OR a limited intellectual / scientific level required by the Educational Institution to obtain said degree. This has nothing at all to do with the colour of the shirt a candidate is wearing, as long as it's clean ;)

Well said!

You nailed it!

Well said!

Absolutely - he said it well.

You're looking for a cheap shot and you're stuck on the masters degree from the US that apparently teaches Thais to speak English perfectly - totally ignoring of course that she probably finished her course 20 years ago and hasn't practiced much English since then. I very much doubt a masters degree would teach any Thai to speak English well - the languages are just too different.

How stupid foreigners can be. I'd like to see Hillary Clinton do a speech in Thai language

An appropriate challenge after she completes a Masters Degree at a Thai university in Thai. Until such time, it's a rather, as you say stupid, expectation.

Yingluck is the PM of Thailand, not of the United States. The language that she has to speak is Thai, not English. There are plenty of heads of state that speak in their native language and use translators to translate the speeches in English. Most UN ambassadors use translators when they listen to speeches in English, and I don't see anyone calling them stupid.

That's true, it would be, as you say, stupid to expect that... unless they had completed a Masters Degree at a foreign university in a foreign language.

Most foreigners bashing Yingluck in this thread probably can't even order toilet paper to wipe their bums in Thai language.

I would expect that those who had completed a Masters Degree at a Thai university in Thai could probably do so.

I'm still waiting for evidence that shows Yingluck can say something either in Thai or English that reveals her superior intellectual abilities. All evidence that I've seen shows otherwise. It seems that most Red Shirts can't tell the difference, whilst other supporters deem it unimportant or irrelevant that we have a bimbo Prime Minister.

Edited by hyperdimension

Most foreigners bashing Yingluck in this thread probably can't even order toilet paper to wipe their bums in Thai language.

I would expect that those who had completed a Masters Degree at a Thai university in Thai could probably do so.

I can and have farang friends who can. None of us have Masters degrees from Thai universities. What we do have is willingness to learn.

Kor kradaat tissue chet toot.......

I ask myself why a multi millionairess would ever choose Kentucky University for her Masters Degree.

Equally, I've always been bemused by Thaksin's Doctorate in Criminology, again from a somewhat obscure US university.

When you can afford the best in life why settle for lower rated universities for something as prestigious as a Masters or Doctorate?

I think the answer to your questions lies in whether the more prestigious unis would accept the existing qualifications of the applicants.

If your bachelors came from a 3rd rate uni don't expect a 1st rate uni to accept you as a candidate for a masters.

Money can't always buy you everything you want....sometimes you just have to settle for second-best....

I wonder how many million "Taxi-Meter" are there is Bangkok.

And no one, no one at all care to point out to Thai that they should have it printed the other way round.

Changing the signs to "Meter-Taxi" wouldn't be correct either.

I think the proper form would be "Metered Taxi"

Well said!

Now if only you would have ended your post with a video of Yingluck showing her intellect, even if it was a video fully in Thai, your post wouldn't have rung so hollow.

I wonder how many million "Taxi-Meter" are there is Bangkok.

And no one, no one at all care to point out to Thai that they should have it printed the other way round.

Changing the signs to "Meter-Taxi" wouldn't be correct either.

I think the proper form would be "Metered Taxi"

Thanks for pointing it out.