Motor Bike Instructor

bitewhentested

hi guys im interested in learning to ride motor bikes i have a truck get a bit sick of rush hour traffic id like a bit more freedom small bikes are no problem

but iv always wanted a sports bike like a 600 ninja or a cbr 600 something along those lines but i dont have the confidence to just go out on one with out some training

does anyone know any instructors that operate in chiang mai back in the uk there are loads but i dont seem to be able to find a school here

i really dont think i will i find one but if you dont ask you dont get

thanks enjoy your day

Here they start riding on the roads at 10 years old!

You won't find a motorcycle school. You could ask a friend who is an expert to rent one (so it can be driven away) using your CC and Passport, then take it to a deserted spot and spend a day. That should be enough and if you already have a Thai licence no need for another test.

i can ride small bikes already be ok on a 250 maybe but just wanted a few pointers before heading of into the sun set on a more powerful bike

maybe im bein to sensible but after 2 near death car crashes iv got a bit more careful in my old age lol

but still like the idea of a big bike

A friend of mine just bought a 250 cc Chinese make bike. He says it is nice on the road but to big to get around Chiang Mai.

That could be wwhy you don't see a lot of big bikes in town.

Get a motor bike and zip in and out of traffic down between two lanes of cars and in general enjoy the ride.

Do you really need a big bike in CM?

I ride big bikes in the UK and if I need a 'big bike fix' to head out of CM for a few days, I would just hire one for a few days.

I really can not see the point of a 'big bike' in CM, a scooter is much more practical.

Just my opinion, but each to their own.

i can ride small bikes already be ok on a 250 maybe but just wanted a few pointers before heading of into the sun set on a more powerful bike

maybe im bein to sensible but after 2 near death car crashes iv got a bit more careful in my old age lol

Download the torrent of Ride Like a Pro and watch it over and over until you feel comfortable.

Do you really need a big bike in CM?

I ride big bikes in the UK and if I need a 'big bike fix' to head out of CM for a few days, I would just hire one for a few days.

I really can not see the point of a 'big bike' in CM, a scooter is much more practical.

Just my opinion, but each to their own.

I'm of the same option, and well riding a rented 650 here find that 160-180 kph range gets you in trouble so fast. Other road users see a R1 approaching them and think it's a Click.

If you google Chiang Mai bike tours, or Thai bike tours, you will find some of them offer instuction.

Also Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist series is good.

I spent the better part of 5 years (2006-2010) riding a motorcycle 'round the world - 5 continents anyway (haven't ridden Australia yet). The bike was a 650cc BMW. I've owned 1200 and 1150cc bikes previously.

My current bike in Chiang Mai - a Honda 110cc Click - electric start, auto shift, belt drive...

It's perfect for everything around this town, even with my partner on the back. Small enough to squeeze through traffic, enough power and acceleration to get away from congested traffic spots, easy to find a parking spot (can't say that about big bikes) and I don't worry about where I park it (and coming out and finding it 'missing'). It'll be underpowered in the mountains, but it scoots on the flats.

I'm looking for a bigger bike - one that I can take on day and weekend rides outside of Chiang Mai - but presently, I don't have any urgent need. Still too much I haven't seen around C.M. to spend money on a bigger bike I'd ride infrequently.

Oh.... my riding around Thailand?

I've rented the 250cc Tracker to take to Mae Sai and Nong Khai on visa runs and to Pai, and the 650cc Versace to Pai and Mae Sai (another visa run). For me, it's better to rent a bike from time to time then to buy one, have it sit full time when its not a very good bike for most of my riding around Chiang Mai.

One day I'll own a bigger bike (no bigger than a 650).

I went from a 250 Ninja to a 650 Versys a couple of months ago, no real dramas to be honest. If you can ride the 250 ok then it's just a matter of getting used to the weight and handling of the bigger machine. As far as the power goes, that's entirely down to how much you twist the throttle.

I do agree that if you're just pottering around town and going to the shops then a scooter / wave type machine is a far better option. I use a Fino for this and use the bigger bike for weekend mountain trips.

As mentioned, may be an idea to speak with Tony or Jeff at Tony's Big Bikes as I know they have offered some tuition to customers before. They also have some 400 cc machines which may be a slightly more comfortable step up for you.