American Sign Language - Where Can I Learn It?

poochai

Sorry I can't help you but maybe you can tell me, Is sign language universal? I mean is it the same sign language in every country or different countries have different signs?

I have been told different things about this and always wondered what the answer is.

A few years ago back in the UK I worked with a couple of deaf guys who came here on a regular basis, anyway they took a couple of Thai girls back with them for a holiday one year and I saw them out and about and they seemed to be communicating well so that also got me wondering about the sign thing.

Sorry I can't help you but maybe you can tell me, Is sign language universal? I mean is it the same sign language in every country or different countries have different signs?

I have been told different things about this and always wondered what the answer is.

A few years ago back in the UK I worked with a couple of deaf guys who came here on a regular basis, anyway they took a couple of Thai girls back with them for a holiday one year and I saw them out and about and they seemed to be communicating well so that also got me wondering about the sign thing.

No, Sign language is not the same in different countries. The US uses a system created by a Frenchman named Gaualladet (I think) while the UK uses a system created by Bell. There is something like Esperanto called Gestuno? That has as much of a real following as Esperanto does ;) .....

I can communicate with deaf Thais fairly well but there is no nuance and details are difficult unless they know ASL (or SEE).

For the OP ... there are several computer based programs available now ... even for Tablet PC's. Handhelds are becoming so common now that it makes more detailed communication easier.