Omega Watches

Jebhead

I have always loved Omega watches. Cindy Crawford was in Gaysorn Plaza years ago promoting the brand. I would always be vigilant about service and buy at a good dealer and have it serviced there. Too many people, including me, have had the guts swapped when in for service. My girlfriend in Saudi Arabia asked me if I wanted an Omega or Rolex for Christmas...

Whether it be watches, gold, jewlery, cd's, dvd's or anything else come to that, finding the GENUINE article is a different and difficult task in Thailand.

Anything with a quality name or brand is 90% chance of it to be a fake.

Given the import duties, luxury tax and VAT in Thailand, add in the high probability that you'd get a fake and the zero chance of getting justice in the courts here if you did get a fake, I'd pony up the money to fly somewhere else to buy a luxury watch. Even adding the price of the airline ticket you'd probably come out money ahead.

Remember that even at an "authorized distributor" there is a supply chain and employees that could substitute a fake anywhere along the trip from the factory to your wrist.

If you end up with a fake (and a receipt) from Tokyo, Seoul, Melbourne, and probably Singapore, you'd have some recourse. If you end up with a fake from a shop in Thailand, you'd better get accustomed to a green wrist.

Edited by impulse

If you are not in a rush to get the watch, I'd rather wait to travel to Malaysia or Singapore. It's about 15% to 20% cheaper then Thailand.

Thanks for that, i bought a Rolex in BKK about 10 years go and claimed the duty back on it when i took it out the country with me at the airport ( this made it a good deal )[/i].

It's been serviced at several locations in Europe and is authentic.

JH

Remember that even at an "authorized distributor" there is a supply chain and employees that could substitute a fake anywhere along the trip from the factory to your wrist.

If you end up with a fake (and a receipt) from Tokyo, Seoul, Melbourne, and probably Singapore, you'd have some recourse. If you end up with a fake from a shop in Thailand, you'd better get accustomed to a green wrist.

As I recall, this exact scenario did occur at one of the major watch retailers in Gaysorn Plaza several years ago. A long term salesperson was found to be switching genuine watches for high quality fakes at the point of sale when he had a customer who seemed less than knowledgeable.

Many years ago there used to be a shop in WTC ( Pappaya i think it was called ) they used to deal in second hand high end watches, does anyone know if it's still there?

I too remember hunting around those basement stores at WTC at was. Unfortunately the basement has been turned over to car parking and the 'Watches and Jewelry' section is just the usual suspects, Rolex etc.

Whether it be watches, gold, jewlery, cd's, dvd's or anything else come to that, finding the GENUINE article is a different and difficult task in Thailand.

Anything with a quality name or brand is 90% chance of it to be a fake.

depends where u are looking ...high end products in proper shops in big shopping centres will not be fakes ......its a difficult task in markets

Omega is nothing more than a glorified Swatch these days

Expert are you? what's this statement based on then?[/i]

JH

It's based on the fact that a Swatch is likely more in his budget range, and hence, the throwaway comment to somehow rationalize that fact.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.