Does Ubc/True Understand People'S Plight?

t36ony

This month I did not receive my TOT bill until it was already past the due date so I had no option but to visit their local office. I just don't understand why they would issue a bill without first extending the due date or coming to some arrangement with banks and counter service points. I assume TOT's billing arm was affected by the floods and this was the reason for the delay.

Edited by GarryP

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This month I did not receive my TOT bill until it was already past the due date so I had no option but to visit their local office. I just don't understand why they would issue a bill without first extending the due date or coming to some arrangement with banks and counter service points. I assume TOT's billing arm was affected by the floods and this was the reason for the delay.

I havent seen any post for almost a month now ever since our village was flooded. Some bills go automatic... others.. without the bill i cant pay.

^ Sorry to disagree with you, but a flooded region does NOT mean all houses are automatically empty, and that the service is not being used. I am in a heavily flooded area (western bk), and quite happily watch my UBC every night, listening to the gentle lap of water against my doorstep. Unless they CAN tell who is watching and who is not, they have no real option but to charge all for the service unless you cancel it.

I do not agree with OPs position. He has the service provided, using it or not is his issue, not UBCs issue. If the service was down due to flood - different story.

What about not receiving bills due to suspended mail delivery or no way to get to pay? What about being completely displaced in short order with the need to make last minute arrangements for a roof over one's families head? If you're not facing these dilemmas you have no basis for an opinion and that includes everyone posting.. Face it, paying True is not on the priority list and they should know, sympathize, understand and accommodate that..

You might like to read the second post in the thread. I AM facing these dilemas, and as said, True visions was extremely accomadating in delaying payment due date.

The simple answer is that True does understand what people are going through, but they simply don't care. They are a bunch of greedy corporate bastards with no soul. That is capitalism, and people on this site in particular seem to think that this is a great way to build a society.

If we're going to give out free passes to folks who got a little wet, wow about a worldwide freeze on interest payments on national debt obligations? ...Because the gov't was too busy to run down to the bank.

:)

I disagree. The company has address records and knows exactly who was flooded out and who wasn't. Quite easy to determine who gets relief and who doesn't. So again, there is no moral hazard.

I agree that True won't act in this case because it hurts their bottom line. But I do believe they should be called to task for this, as it shows a complete lack of social responsibility. And hiding your support for these socially irresponsible companies behind pension plans does not relieve an investor of the moral dilemma of making money at the expense of victims. Whether you are a wealthy or a poor investor, people need to consider how they are enriching themselves and at whose expense.

Sadly, most people just don't care. Greed is not good.

It's not just investors. Stakeholders in a company are everyone from the guy with the Gulfstream to the folks who climb the telephone poles and clean the restrooms. Let's say a free cable ride for X,000 folks for X months causes a situation where even 1 person must be fired from his/her job. Who should have to pay? The guy(s) who didn't cancel their cable contract or the guy who was just going to work everyday as per the usual?

Edited by Heng

Face it, paying True is not on the priority list and they should know, sympathize, understand and accommodate that..

Agree on all points, but there's no need to accommodate anyone at someone else's expense without their consent.

I suppose those 100,000+ folks who had their cars ruined by the flood shouldn't have to continue to make car payments? A contract is a contract.

Yes they should but in extreme conditions such as this when you can't even get your mail for example a professional company would offer a grace period and/or bill adjustment so don't be an obtuse ass..

Angry much? Just because you don't get the mail doesn't mean the bill doesn't exist. A professional individual doesn't need a piece of paper to remind him/her that they owe something.

Edited by Heng

The simple answer is that True does understand what people are going through, but they simply don't care. They are a bunch of greedy corporate bastards with no soul. That is capitalism, and people on this site in particular seem to think that this is a great way to build a society.

If we're going to give out free passes to folks who got a little wet, wow about a worldwide freeze on interest payments on national debt obligations? ...Because the gov't was too busy to run down to the bank.

Obviously someone sitting in his dry home, with no soul or moral conscience what-so-ever, posting from his air conned study with a cold LEO in hand..

"A little wet" what a trolling imbecile...

Not jumping on some bandwagon isn't necessarily indicative of a lack of a soul or moral conscience. Air conned study and cold beer.... you're right about that.

More name calling? If I were an imbecile, I'd be living in a house in a low lying area in a region with yearly monsoons.

p.s. I have in fact lost quite a bit in property damage to homes and buildings I don't actually reside in myself... I just don't believe in asking for handouts. I'll just try to plan better or make some moves in my portfolio and deal with it.

Edited by Heng

is it standard for flooding to not be a part of car insurance plan? how much extra does it cost to get ?

Nah, insurance comps removed that option because too many people couldn't make their payments ditched them in the river.

Back to true, the responsibility lays with each subscriber imo, surely if you can post on here, you could have called true and clarified your situation instead of assuming that they should call you or just waive the fee because you can't use it or can't leave your house to pay the bill.

I suppose those 100,000+ folks who had their cars ruined by the flood shouldn't have to continue to make car payments? A contract is a contract.

Yes they should but in extreme conditions such as this when you can't even get your mail for example a professional company would offer a grace period and/or bill adjustment so don't be an obtuse ass..

Angry much? Just because you don't get the mail doesn't mean the bill doesn't exist. A professional individual doesn't need a piece of paper to remind him/her that they owe something.

True.. but its a bit hard to pay if you dont know the amount or have a reference nr. So i havent had mail for almost a month. The standard things that go automatic ok. But the manual ones.. i think its the companies responsibility to make sure i get a bill. Its my responsibility that i pay. So seems they are the ones in the wrong. Does not mean i wont pay, but you cant without a bill.

True.. but its a bit hard to pay if you dont know the amount or have a reference nr. So i havent had mail for almost a month. The standard things that go automatic ok. But the manual ones.. i think its the companies responsibility to make sure i get a bill. Its my responsibility that i pay. So seems they are the ones in the wrong. Does not mean i wont pay, but you cant without a bill.

Of course, the floods make the circumstances extraordinary. I just take the point of view that a company (or whoever) isn't responsible for the performance of the postal service nor are they in the wrong in any way if you are simply not home or difficult to reach.

Of course, the floods make the circumstances extraordinary. I just take the point of view that a company (or whoever) isn't responsible for the performance of the postal service nor are they in the wrong in any way if you are simply not home or difficult to reach.

As a business your responsible for me to get an invoice. If you are not able too by the post you can bring it by boat or be lenient and accept you will be paid later. You could email an invoice or whatever. The obligation to hand out an invoice rests on the company. You choose the way i get the invoice so your responsible if i wont get it.

Obviously someone sitting in his dry home, with no soul or moral conscience what-so-ever, posting from his air conned study with a cold LEO in hand..

"A little wet" what a trolling imbecile...

Not jumping on some bandwagon isn't necessarily indicative of a lack of a soul or moral conscience. Air conned study and cold beer.... you're right about that.

More name calling? If I were an imbecile, I'd be living in a house in a low lying area in a region with yearly monsoons.

p.s. I have in fact lost quite a bit in property damage to homes and buildings I don't actually reside in myself... I just don't believe in asking for handouts. I'll just try to plan better or make some moves in my portfolio and deal with it.

Many of the houses including ours are not in low lying areas as Bangkok goes not that I had anything to do with it's location anyways and we don't own it but in the end it was only flooded due to poor decisions by the government and a complete lack of planning and my feeling has always been that a lack of planning your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. Like I said your post is that of an imbecilic troll when you make imbecilic comments like "got a little wet"..

JFYI No one asked for any handouts that's your myopic perspective if someone is not using the service then charging for it's use is theft just as if I stole their signal..

BTW Every single company here from DQ to the local 7-11 is claiming the reasoning of not having stock or service delays to being overwhelmed in service calls including True due to the floods and will now for years, it's the new excuse of the moment, but yet it doesn't work both ways? :rolleyes: Certainly it does <_< .

Edited by WarpSpeed

As a business your responsible for me to get an invoice. If you are not able too by the post you can bring it by boat or be lenient and accept you will be paid later. You could email an invoice or whatever. The obligation to hand out an invoice rests on the company. You choose the way i get the invoice so your responsible if i wont get it.

Absolutely! That's my part of the "contract" they are failing to fulfill..

is it standard for flooding to not be a part of car insurance plan? how much extra does it cost to get ?

Nah, insurance comps removed that option because too many people couldn't make their payments ditched them in the river.

Back to true, the responsibility lays with each subscriber imo, surely if you can post on here, you could have called true and clarified your situation instead of assuming that they should call you or just waive the fee because you can't use it or can't leave your house to pay the bill.

It's not about clarification, it's been clarified, even if they've been under a rock for the past several months but they are unyielding about their policy, that's the issue..

That's why they created late fees. Sure, there are honest customers... but IMO they are far outnumbered by slackers and criminals who are more than ready to take advantage of a situation.

Difference between TOT and True from my experience. 5 minutes late with True and you are cut off. TOT even rang us one time to remind us we were late. We hadn't received a bill, but we still had the use of their service.

IMO, True should give flooding victims extra time to pay their bills, but claiming that one should not have to pay because of not using the service is silly.

They should have to pay, but time should be given. Of course if the service is not provided (as distinct from not used) they should not have to pay.

Last night on True, the were running a message saying that they could not get the TrueVisions Magazine out to all their customers due to flodding and for all customers in this situation to just go online to get their schedules.

I can understand them not being able to get out the magazines, but it seemed ironic with regards to this thread.

IMO, True should give flooding victims extra time to pay their bills, but claiming that one should not have to pay because of not using the service is silly.

Correct....the OP is not whinging about UBC not giving him extra time to pay the bill, he was saying he shouldnt have to pay the bill because he was "not at home"...he did of course have the option of not paying the bill by cancelling the service, which he never did....in this instance the OP is fully liable for the bill payment and UBC have acted correctly, nothing to do with "people's plight's"

That is what i mean, not paying i think is silly. They are not responsible for the floods, cancelling is indeed the responsability of the client. A bit hard to do but true.

I am waiting for my AIS bills but ill probably hop past a shop and pay once i get an opportunity to leave my home. I wonder how long it will take for the post office to sort out this mess.

Meanwhile the water in the streets is really a lot lower can almost see the side walks again. Hope the roads will dry out soon too.

my feeling has always been that a lack of planning your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Pretty much my point as well.

No, you have no point, only a trolling agenda.. A disaster of this magnitude could not be planned for by the average victim.. Don't worry Karma is a universal thing, eventually you'll gain understanding..

Last night on True, the were running a message saying that they could not get the TrueVisions Magazine out to all their customers due to flodding and for all customers in this situation to just go online to get their schedules.

I can understand them not being able to get out the magazines, but it seemed ironic with regards to this thread.

Yes it does and not only does not everyone have the capability to go online but in the current situation even more so..

my feeling has always been that a lack of planning your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

No, you have no point, only a trolling agenda.. A disaster of this magnitude could not be planned for by the average victim.. Don't worry Karma is a universal thing, eventually you'll gain understanding..

Not trolling, and certainly no agenda. Karma is just basic physics dressed up to control those with weak minds.

A good portion of folks you see on top of their roofs or living in homes with flooded first floors aren't victims of flash flooding, they are folks who simply decided to stay in a hazardous situation. They've had weeks and in some cases more than a month to get out of the way of the runoff. They certainly had time to cancel their UBC/True cable subscriptions. The gov't didn't give me a 'serious' warning is a weak argument for both those who either A) have long since recognized that big gov't is incapable of dealing with small problems much less large issues and B ) those who are always complaining and whinging about how inept the gov't was in general.

edit: I might change my karma opinion a tad if a deep impact type meteor hits the Gulf of Thailand that produces a 42 meter high tidal wave that can reach 1 km inland before I finish my lunch.

Edited by Heng

A good portion of folks you see on top of their roofs or living in homes with flooded first floors aren't victims of flash flooding, they are folks who simply decided to stay in a hazardous situation. They've had weeks and in some cases more than a month to get out of the way of the runoff. They certainly had time to cancel their UBC/True cable subscriptions. The gov't didn't give me a 'serious' warning is a weak argument for both those who either A) have long since recognized that big gov't is incapable of dealing with small problems much less large issues and B ) those who are always complaining and whinging about how inept the gov't was in general.

edit: I might change my karma opinion a tad if a deep impact type meteor hits the Gulf of Thailand that produces a 42 meter high tidal wave that can reach 1 km inland before I finish my lunch.

Somehow I'm inclined to agree. It's pretty weak to try and blame any of your troubles on someone who is not responsible for your safety or well-being.

Not trolling, and certainly no agenda. Karma is just basic physics dressed up to control those with weak minds.

Good reply Heng.

Even my Thai wife is scathing of the people that waited till the water was at neck level before abandoning their home and then demanding that the "government" or "someone else" should help them.

A clear misunderstanding of the situation and the logistics involved by several members who are obviously blessed enough to not have been in the way of this slow moving train wreck and the misinformation and disinformation provided.

It's precisely BECAUSE the floods moved so slowly most of the time unless a levy broke that it was so hard to make a decision what to do and when to do it.. Many people have been displaced for MONTHS not days and most of you would be throwing your binky out of the pram if you didn't have your comfortable easy chair and Lao Kao next to you after only a few hours so your pompous, holier then though attitude is rubbish and as phony as you are..