Letter From Thaksin Shinawatra

Lite Beer

Thaksin, in letter from Dubai, calls for national reconciliation; government amnesty decree not for helping him

image_20111120162209C0486287-F00A-0EB2-E5BB9EA0870EE8F3.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 20 - Thailand's fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra said, regarding a controversial draft of amnesty decree, that he was confident in principle that the government will not do anything to benefit him or any particular person while calling for the national reconciliation in his letter to the Thai people, released to the public on Sunday.

The self-imposed exile premier's letter from Dubai was distributed to the media at Pheu Thai Party headquarters Sunday morning following the revised draft of a royal decree on amnesty by the cabinet, which sparked criticism among the public that it would benefit the convicted ex-premier.

The letter which was addressed to the Thai people said solidarity is needed during the current flood disaster and that he wants the country and the people to get through this crisis as soon as possible.

The deposed premier said he supported all measures which could lead to national reconciliation and that he did not want to see any attempts which will destroy the current atmosphere.

"I am ready to sacrifice my own personal happiness even though I have been treated unfairly for five years," stated Mr Thaksin. "For the sake of the Thai people, I will remain patient."

Regarding the annual pardon on the occasion of His Majesty's 84th anniversary next month, the ousted premier expressed confidence that the government would not do anything which benefited him or any other person in particular.

Mr Thaksin reaffirmed anything to be done now should only be for the sake of national reconciliation and the solving of flood crisis only.

"His Majesty the King is now hospitalised," Mr Thaksin stated, "so we should not upset His Majesty and I believe our prime minister has the same thought and determination as I do."

The ex-premier's letter ended with words calling for all parties to "Forgive and Forget", saying all should forget about the past and move toward the future for the sake of the country and future generations.

Ousted in a bloodless coup in September 2006, convicted former premier Thaksin left Thailand while on bail, and now lives in self-imposed exile in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates.

The cabinet meeting last Tuesday, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, secretly revised the royal decree on the royal pardon, opening the way for convicts to seek royal pardons without serving jail terms, reducing the imprisonment period from actually serving one year to holding 2 or 3 years of conviction, and allowing those who have been convicted of particular charges such as corruption, earlier disqualified from seeking amnesty, to apply for it.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Mr Thaksin's youngest sister, was however absent during the meeting.

Meanwhile, a survey conducted by the National Institute for Development Administration (NIDA) on Sunday found that 46.11 per cent of respondents disagreed with the cabinet's revised decree on royal pardon, while 30.40 per cent said they agreed with it.

More than half -- 62.92 per cent -- said they were informed of the revised decree but 33.78 per cent said they were unaware of the move.

The NIDA poll which surveyed 1,273 persons aged over 18 also said, if the draft is finally approved, 42 percent believed political conflicts among many factions will be deepened while 27.42 said Mr Thaksin will be pardoned and return to the kingdom.

When asked about the reasons of the government's move to revise the decree on royal pardon, 44.62 said they believe the government's action is to help Mr Thaksin be acquitted and return to the country while 13.20 said the move is aimed to reconcile the country, while only 8.17 believed that the government wanted to make the royal decree more appropriate

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-20

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has the wedding been postponed until when the time is right? Come back and face the courts of law, like most other people regardless of how wealthy (in money) you might be.

I couldn't care less if you owned the World, you are not above the law of the land. As others have said, if you have anything in between those legs of yours come back and face the music, do your time and then people might be inclined to forgive.. But not until then!

Don't you mean that you are not above the law of the land unless you are a yellow shirt, in the military or an amart?

Thanks for the belly laugh PaulBax. I needed that. My wife just returned from a Big C shopping spree. If you truly want to see someone above the law catch the next plane to Udon and join the red mob of thugs rally. If you want an advance notice of the date let me know I have an inside source :wai:

Edited by pimay11

It is worth considering that the number of people murdered under Thaksin's corrupt and bloody rule is estimated at around 2,500 (drug war) plus at least 500 (in the far south) = 3,000.

That puts him in precisely the same league as Syria's Bashar al-Assad = 3,000 and counting.

Edited by dru2

The majority of the people in Thailand voted for his party

No they didn't

I believe a large percentage of Pheua Thai voters voted for the too good to be true policies they proposed.True they care about Thaksin, but I'm sure if they hadn't included the 300 baht minimum wage, 15,000 baht salary and 15,000 baht for 1 tonne of rice the votes would have been much smaller.

I wonder which Minister at the Cabinet meeting leaked the news.If it was still secret no doubt the plan would still go ahead. But Thaksin is trying to backtrack, realising the move looks obviously selfish so soon after the floods. Let the red shirts rage and behave as stupidly as usual, can't they survive without their godfather, the true champions of democracy?

Has the wedding been postponed until when the time is right? Come back and face the courts of law, like most other people regardless of how wealthy (in money) you might be.

No word on a delay for his daughter's wedding, scheduled in 3 weeks, on December 12th.

As the Shinawatra wedding is shaping up to be quite the shindig (pun intended) at the 5-star Plaza Athenee Hotel, changing the schedule might be difficult, although billionairess's have many options most others do not.

What a thoroughly reasonable and decent person this Thaksin chappie is, putting His Majesty's well being ahead of his own. As a good policeman he is selflessly looking after the needs of others first and will doubtless be happy to let any potentially divisive amnesty be put to one side until circumstances in Thailand improve. Jolly good show, sir!

The majority of the people in Thailand voted for his party

No they didn't

I believe a large percentage of Pheua Thai voters voted for the too good to be true policies they proposed.True they care about Thaksin, but I'm sure if they hadn't included the 300 baht minimum wage, 15,000 baht salary and 15,000 baht for 1 tonne of rice the votes would have been much smaller.

I wonder which Minister at the Cabinet meeting leaked the news.If it was still secret no doubt the plan would still go ahead. But Thaksin is trying to backtrack, realising the move looks obviously selfish so soon after the floods. Let the red shirts rage and behave as stupidly as usual, can't they survive without their godfather, the true champions of democracy?

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive"! Sir Walter Scott

I couldn't care less if you owned the World, you are not above the law of the land. As others have said, if you have anything in between those legs of yours come back and face the music, do your time and then people might be inclined to forgive.. But not until then!

Don't you mean that you are not above the law of the land unless you are a yellow shirt, in the military or an amart?

Thanks for the belly laugh PaulBax. I needed that. My wife just returned from a Big C shopping spree. If you truly want to see someone above the law catch the next plane to Udon and join the red mob of thugs rally. If you want an advance notice of the date let me know I have an inside source :wai:

It never ceases to amaze me that the red gang keep referring to amart when casting dispersions on the opposition. Of course they would never refer to their dear leader as amart but he is one of the top amarts in this country. Definition of amart: “Amart” (อำมาตย์) meaning “elite, lord” used in old Thai feudal society. No double standards with the reds for sure.

It never ceases to amaze me that the red gang keep referring to amart when casting dispersions on the opposition. Of course they would never refer to their dear leader as amart but he is one of the top amarts in this country. Definition of amart: “Amart” (อำมาตย์) meaning “elite, lord” used in old Thai feudal society. No double standards with the reds for sure.

It's fun facts time!

Thaksin's grandmother was Princess Jantip Na Chiang Mai. <_<

It goes like this:

Thaksin and the PM deny it.

The reds demand it.

Thaksin organises both.

...and the forum Thaksin apologists try to skirt round it saying he is innocent or variations thereof.

What you will not find them doing is addressing his blatant lies. For that they are silent. Silently supporting.

The Nation just reported that Thaksin will not be on the list to receive a pardon. That's according to Pracha. PAD has also cancelled its rally. I wonder if the reds will follow and stop their protest or will they continue their nonsense. There's still urgent flood issues to be dealt with.

It's pretty hilarious. Reds try to pretend like they are some sort of revolution but in reality they are the same old elite political machines that have been ruling their local provinces like feudal lords for generations. Yes, a billionaire head of a party made of wealthy and corrupt multi-generational political dynasties is fighting for the 99%. Just look at all their anti elite policies, cutting corporate income tax and permitting multi million dollar tax fraud among the rich.

This country really needs a 99% movement to get rid of these people.

there's a trick

When the amnesty is including him he can be back anytime then.

He didn't say or even mean that he won't accept it. He'd wait a bit longer to come back a bit later, that's all.

No changes or anything challenging. Just usually tricky.

Complaining of not receiving justice? If he didn't run away he'd received it already.

Time's a bitch sometimes.

It's still time to show guts and to meet justice Mr. Thaksin. If you trust the govt (your govt) then give it a chance, otherwise your escape spirit will haunt you forever. Do it right now. In a months time nobody will believe you any longer, not even your sheep.

What are you going to do with your Montenegrin citizenship when you love Thailand?

How long has this been going on? If he had served his two years in full he would have been out about three years ago. Now being a rich and slippery character that he is, there is no way he would spend 2 years in jail, so he would have been out of jail much earlier. He must constantly think whether being a fugitive was the right thing to do?

The reason he had all these convictions against him is that he did not play the game according to the existing rules. He had had his time at the trough and it was time to give it up and make it available to others. He did not do this; he kept everything for him. This upset the other power brokers and thus he bought onto himself these court cases. Taksin must be one of the few Thai politicians in history who was been made accountable for his actions. The simple reason is greed, obsession with power and control, and upsetting other powerful people. Should have listened to the wife!

Edited by MaiChai

He is prepared to sacrifice his personal happiness. But not his freedom and justice was handed to him, I thought?

jb1

What a blo@dy hypocrite. Reconciliation? This morning I saw some reds parading around and to me they looked so damned sinister.

I wonder what's around the corner?

Someone forgot to mention

The Red Shirts today Sunday 207h November are all over Udon, getting ready to demand Thaskin is allowed to return

Friend over the phone told me cars are being stopped and asked if they support Thaskins return

Sad days for the driver if they say NO

Do they only ask in Thai or do they question in English too? I'm heading that way soon

The Red Shirts today Sunday 207h November are all over Udon, getting ready to demand Thaskin is allowed to return

Friend over the phone told me cars are being stopped and asked if they support Thaskins return

Do they only ask in Thai or do they question in English too? I'm heading that way soon

No, just tell them you love the man and all he stands for.:bah:

No, just tell them you love the man and all he stands for.:bah:

Ah, pragmatism thumbsup.gif

I was in Udon yesterday and today, and didn't see them. Just lucky, I guess...

A post containing false information has been removed as well as the replies to that post.

A post with reference to HM the King has been removed. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

The Nation just reported that Thaksin will not be on the list to receive a pardon. That's according to Pracha. PAD has also cancelled its rally. I wonder if the reds will follow and stop their protest or will they continue their nonsense. There's still urgent flood issues to be dealt with.

link please.

The cabinet proposals to be endorsed for an amnesty this time would cover people over 60 years of age, who were convicted and sentenced to less than three years in prison.

Some eligibility criteria change from one amnesty to another, but those convicted of corruption, which would apply under the old amnesty, or drug offences are normally not freed.

The draft amnesty this time did not exclude corruption or drug offences.

So to my way of thinking, if this proposed amnesty is approved and indorsed. Thaksin will be eligible to come back to Thailand as a free man.

The letter to the people pulling at their heart strings may be worth the paper it is written on.

link please.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Pracha-rules-out-Thaksins-pardon-30170283.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/PAD-cancels-rally-30170285.html

Still waiting to see if Khwanchai will call his protests off.

link please.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Pracha-rules-out-Thaksins-pardon-30170283.html

The interesting aspect of the topic is not the handwritten part, but the fact that it has been send to the media in ENGLISH as well. Makes you wonder about both 'Dear Fellow Thai People' and the sincerity of it all (apart from the 'FORGIVE AND FORGET' near the end of the Thai letter). To me it looks more like an ongoing publicity and obfuscation campaign aimed at foreigners :ermm:

BTW is k. Thaksin still entitled to sign with 'Police Lt. Col.' ?

The interesting aspect of the topic is not the handwritten part, but the fact that it has been send to the media in ENGLISH as well. Makes you wonder about both 'Dear Fellow Thai People' and the sincerity of it all (apart from the 'FORGIVE AND FORGET' near the end of the Thai letter). To me it looks more like an ongoing publicity and obfuscation campaign aimed at foreigners :ermm:

Perhaps he thinks it adds a smidgen of respectability.....................or something?:ermm:

We're still waiting for his rank to be stripped and his royal decorations to be returned....

Still waiting nearly 3 years on... and with his brother-in-law the new National Police Chief, it might be a bit longer...

2 year-plus waiting... and still waiting waiting for the police stripping him of his rank

Pol. Maj-Gen. Panya Aengchuan, commander of the police department's disciplinary division, said a proposal to strip Mr. Thaksin of his police rank of lieutenant-colonel would be sent to National Police Commissioner Pol. Gen. Patcharawat for his consideration.

Noting that a court had already judged and imposed a two-year imprisonment on the ousted premier minister, Gen. Panya said Mr. Thaksin is found to be in breach of police regulations, which stipulates that a police officer's rank must be stripped if the person is convicted and escapes to avoid imprisonment.

On October 21, the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions found former police officer Thaksin guilty of a conflict of interest and sentenced him in absentia to two years in jail.

-- TNA 2009-01-08[/size]

AND... the 2 year-plus waiting also applies for the return of his royal decorations...

Thaksin willing to return royal decorations

The Nation - October 13, 2008

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will likely agree to return all of his royal decorations if required to by law, Government Spokesman Natthawut Saikua said yesterday.

If Thaksin fails to appeal the Supreme Court's guilty verdict and two-year jail sentence against him in the Ratchadaphisek land case, the Knight Grand Commander (Second Class, higher grade) of the Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao would need to be recalled.

A PM's Office decree endorsed by then-PM Thaksin in August 2005 gives eight criteria for the recalling of royal decorations, including if a person is convicted by the highest court and ordered to serve time in prison.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Epilogue: Thaksin DID fail to appeal his guilty verdict, but has never complied with the recall law he himself signed.