Paypal And Thai Banks.

Hi,

Has anyone set up a paypal account linked to a Thai bank and have successfully authenticated the account?

I tried but so far have failed.

I opened a GSB (Government Savings Bank – Omsin) account with a Visa Debit card and thought this this would be OK. But when I tried to authenticate the Bank account I had problems. First I tried to attach PayPal to the account using the Visa Debit card. To authenticate using this method PayPal take a small amount of money from your account. On your card statement there should then appear an entry showing the PayPal withdraw, and next to the PayPal name they print a 4 digit number. You enter the 4 digit number into PayPal on the internet and voila an authenticated PayPal free of restrictions. 2 problems with this, the main one being that the GSB bank rejected the PayPal transaction, on the grounds that the amount involved was too little. But even if the payment had been allowed I was wondering how I would find out the payment details. The GSB bank give a bank book (passbook) on which you can have bank transactions printed out. These transactions give few details, and would not I believe have shown the PayPal 4 digit code that I required. I was hoping to go into the bank and maybe they could have given me the details from a computer screen, but I never got that far so I don’t know for sure if I would have been able to find out the detail.

Next I decided to forget about the Visa debit approach and instead attach PayPal directly to my bank account via the account number. To authenticate using this method PayPal add two very small sums of money to your account each of 2 digits ie maybe 12 baht then 32 baht. You then use the combined 1232 number as an authentication password on the PayPal site. This failed also as PayPal could not pay the money into my account saying invalid account details.

I went into my branch of the GSB bank with my wife to hopefully resolve the problem. When I mentioned PayPal the bank staff gave blank stares, none of the staff had even heard of PayPal, I live in the Isaan part of Thailand by the way. After a while of waiting they came back to me saying the GSB bank can only deal with foreign transfers using the swift code. My PayPal account is in Thai baht, but still I made no headway with this. I emailed head office in Bangkok and got the same reply I need to use the swift code and the swift code system, which of course has got nothing to do with PayPal.

So I have given up with the GSB bank and now want to try with another, but I don’t want to open yet another bank account only to get the same problems. So anyone out there using PayPal with a Thai bank account and have authenticated with no problems? If you don’t authenticate the account PayPal place withdrawing restrictions on the account that make it worthless to use for me.

Thanks in advance

ChatterRat

you will need a thai credit card

Hi

I prefer debit to credit cards where possible, especially after reading posts about stolen cards being used to buy things and Thai banks not refunding the monies.

The PayPal site says it accepts debit cards and they did indeed attempt to authenticate my debit card, it was the Thai bank that failed to accept the small payment. Do you have any information that Thai banks only allow credit cards with PayPal, and have you yourself set up a paypal account and authenticated, in which case which bank.

Thanks for advice.

You dont need a Thai Credit card at all, thats nonsense, I have been using Paypal very easily and successfully for over a year with Kasikorn savings account and debit card provided.

Edited by CharlieH

You dont need a Thai Credit card at all, thats nonsense, I have been using Paypal very easily and successfully for over a year with Kasikorn savings account and debit card provided.

Hi Charlie,

Did you authenticate using the card or the account number.

If you used the card I presume Kasikorn where OK to accept PayPal taking out the small account ? (unlike GSB)

and did you get a card statement with the four digit password on it.

Thanks

ChatterRat

Hi Charlie,

Did you authenticate using the card or the account number.

If you used the card I presume Kasikorn where OK to accept PayPal taking out the small account ? (unlike GSB)

and did you get a card statement with the four digit password on it.

Thanks

ChatterRat

I used the card, just dont forget to use the name as it is written on your account. example: smith John, not John Smith.

The card will not have a name on it, but when entering the details use the name exactly as per your account.

You can use Bangkok bank debit or credit cards with paypal

After authenticating your card, you can call Bangkok Bank

call center 2 or 3 days later and they will give you the 4 digit number

over the phone

Thanks LuckyLew,

I did wonder about Bangkok Bank as my wife has an account with them. She has a passbook same I got with GSB which displays miminal details, so I can understand why you need to contact the call center.

I didn't ask for the "internet banking" feature at Kasikorn bank and found out later I can't use the debit card for transactions over the internet. I thought all I was declining was the ability to check and maintain my account and transfer money over the internet, but did I also shoot myself in the foot if I want to order anything or set up a Paypal account?

They did say I could add the internet banking at any time so I figured it's no big deal, but I am curious. Live and learn.

With Kasikorn you just need to apply for a web shopping card. It is a virtual visa card and it works fine with paypal.

I have previously emailed K-Bank about paypal but the reply I received I found confusing and did not fit in with how I believe you authenticate on PayPal. This is the reply I got:

“According to your enquiry regarding about applying PayPal, we would like to inform you that if you had K-Web Shopping Card, you could take a K-Web Shopping Card number and CVV password to tie with PayPal.

Or if you had K-Debit Card, you would apply "Internet Shopping by K-Debit Card" at K-ATM that you are convenience. You could learn about application at www.kasikornbank.com by secting menu "Apply For Service" >> "Online Appication"

Its that bit about the CVV password to tie with PayPal I don’t understand.

On the Bangkok Bank website it says (about authenticating/verfiying account):

Important note: PayPal may send two small deposit amounts into your account and request your confirmation. We recommend you do not respond to this request, as it is applicable to those who maintain their accounts with banks in the US only, and is designed to allow PayPal to automatically debit your Bangkok Bank account. Bangkok Bank will not allow PayPal to debit and transfer funds from your account with us to the US.

BUT: in my PayPal account it says that unless I verify my account the amount of money I can send each month is limited, currently my send limit is less than I would like, and the withdraw to bank limit appears to be 0.

I use Kbank and by far it is the easiest. Once you get your Kbank debit card, go to an ATM and apply for internet or web card..something similar, I forget the exact verbiage. You will then receive an SMS immediately and after that you are done. Go to paypal and use your Kbank debit card to open the account. To make payments, you can use the card direct but have to make sure that you have the money in the account obviously. To withdrawal funds, you will need to enter in the actually bank account details in the setting section of Paypal and when you withdrawal, it goes directly into your bank. Take about 1 week to transfer. Make sure like th previous poster mentioned, that you use your name and address exactly as your bank has on file, otherwise withdrawing funds will penalize you until you can provide the ecaxt details. You only need to do this one time and you are good to go. All-in-all, it took me 15 minutes to set up and begin using the paypal account. If you lose you debit card, its easy to change the default card in the paypal settings to make payments and you won't need to change the account number because that remains the same. Ive lost my card like 3 times and took about 2 minutes to update/add a new card to the account. (Soory, i don't bother to take the time to spell check for these things so if i wasn't clear on anything, let me know and ill clear it up. Aloha!

With Kasikorn you just need to apply for a web shopping card. It is a virtual visa card and it works fine with paypal.

Yes, that is how I had to do it as well. The debit card I use at ATM's is not sufficient. Make sure the name matches exactly. I always used "Ken" for my first name when banking in the USA. Here when I opened my Kasikorn account they copied my name from my passport, first name "Kenneth". I set up my Thai PayPal account just like my US PayPal account using first name as "Ken". That did not fly with PayPal, and they did not consider it a "minor change", and the only way to get them to mesh was by faxing passport pages, a bank letter, photos, etc., all "notorized". It was a real pain, and not exactly cheap.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...