Bangkok Governor Expects Floodwater To Be Drained From Capital By Year-End

webfact

BKK Governor Expects Floodwater to Be Drained from BKK by Year-End

The Bangkok governor is confident that opening three sluice gates linking Saimai District to Lamlukka District in Pathum Thani will not cause flooding at the Bangchan and Lad Krabang industrial estates. He is confident water will be drained from all areas in Bangkok by the year-end.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatara inspected the water level of the Hok Wa Canal in Saimai District yesterday.

He commented that opening three sluice gates to allow water to flow from Lamlukka in Pathum Thani into the Saimai area will cause the canal’s water level to increase a little but will not cause an overflow.

Doing so may slow down the drainage of water from main roads into the Bangbua and Lad Phrao canals by only a week.

He added that this will not cause flooding at the Bangchan and Ladkrabang industrial estates as feared.

Sukhumbhand stated he will keep a close watch and assess the situation of allowing more floodwater into Bangkok and if the city’s drainage can cope with the additional volume of water, he will consider opening the sluice gates higher to allow more water to flow through.

The governor pledged to drain water from all areas in the capital by December 31.

He also noted that he has not set a deadline for flood victims to apply for compensation from the government as the flooding is still ongoing.

He has asked all district offices to make and distribute pamphlets that explains how flood victims can apply for compensation and is asking the public to follow the news and not listen to rumors.

Around 300 residents of Saimai showed up to welcome the governor during his visit. He also used the opportunity to distribute boxes of ready-made meals that he paid for himself to Pathum Thani residents, thus helping to lessen the hardship of them having to live with flooding for such a long time in order to save Bangkok from excessive inundation.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-21

footer_n.gif

he did a good job and was attacked and threatened by the govt to remove him from office.

He did what he had to do and that was to defend Bangkok to be flooded. He did a great job and got tough sometimes at the FROC.

The water that comes down and to the sea now will be missing in the next months too. So yes, there should be a better solution for the run offs, but that is not his job description.

Edited by elcent

he did a good job and was attacked and threatened by the govt to remove him from office.

He did what he had to do and that was to defend Bangkok to be flooded. He did a great job and got tough sometimes at the FROC.

The water that comes down and to the sea now will be missing in the next months too. So yes, there should be a better solution for the run offs, but that is not his job description.

Define "Bangkok" please! He told a giant heap of BS, just like anyone else. He did not do a good job- just like anyone else. Contradicting statements, no plan, chaos.

I may remind you: not so long ago, the BBB was the only thing that kept Bangkok from drowning (according to the Govenor). After some angry guys opened that barrier by 6 meter, the whole of INNER Bangkok (and that is all he protected) was in danger. And - miraculously- 1 day later, the breach was widened to 10 meters, because it had no influence whatsoever on Inner Bangkok.

Just one of the many "good works" this man has done!

He is exactly in line with all the clowns and fools from the Government or FROC. No worse...but sure: no better!

Define "Bangkok" please! He told a giant heap of BS, just like anyone else. He did not do a good job- just like anyone else. Contradicting statements, no plan, chaos.

I may remind you: not so long ago, the BBB was the only thing that kept Bangkok from drowning (according to the Govenor). After some angry guys opened that barrier by 6 meter, the whole of INNER Bangkok (and that is all he protected) was in danger. And - miraculously- 1 day later, the breach was widened to 10 meters, because it had no influence whatsoever on Inner Bangkok.

He is exactly in line with all the clowns and fools from the Government or FROC. No worse...but sure: no better!

of course he couldn't please everyone, but he, the army and many others prevented the inner city to be flooded. It would have caused tens of thousands people to be dead by now due to the low location. Please take a look at the wider picture. No way to feed millions of people in their dormitories or apartment buildings.

of course he couldn't please everyone, but he, the army and many others prevented the inner city to be flooded. It would have caused tens of thousands people to be dead by now due to the low location. Please take a look at the wider picture. No way to feed millions of people in their dormitories or apartment buildings.

Oh...I am taking a look at the wider picture. And I am not saying it was wrong to keep Inner Bangkok dry. All I am saying is, that he made as many contradicting statements as everybody else, he revised his opinion daily and he went from "keeping Bangkok dry" to "keeping Inner Bangkok dry" ...and with water on Viphavadi, I would even doubt that statement. He did by no means better, than the other brainless "experts", the idiotic government or the useless FROC.

depend what u read and what poll u believed, i am glad the army and the governor outperformed FROC :)

Agreed, they were all scared to take a little water to help the suffering. Saying BKK would be flooded, and when it happened there was no risk. Sounds to me like they really did not know what they were doing and just sacrificed some people. Looks like you need a MOB here to get your point across.

With the likes of UDD Leader/Wife Beater/ MP Karun Hosakul still involved with the flood water, I seriously doubt anything will get done.

Just two days ago during a meeting at a school in Sai Mai, the ever loved MP couldn't help himself from calling a woman a buffalo. The video below shows him finally getting his just dessert...a nice kick in the back. With this woman abuser still involved, how can anything get done?

Sorry but as I live in the Chinnaket area of Lak Si I would like him to help the people there

We got the floodwater on the 29th October all 1 meter 20cms of it and it nas only receded by 3cms in 24 days.

Can't get car in or out of this area, yet it isn't even mentioned on TV

Anyone know if they are going to do something about this forgotten area of Bangkok. Yes Lak Si is in Bangkok Miss Shinawatra

Sorry but as I live in the Chinnaket area of Lak Si I would like him to help the people there

We got the floodwater on the 29th October all 1 meter 20cms of it and it nas only receded by 3cms in 24 days.

Can't get car in or out of this area, yet it isn't even mentioned on TV

Anyone know if they are going to do something about this forgotten area of Bangkok. Yes Lak Si is in Bangkok Miss Shinawatra

Tell that to the Thai equivalent of Bruce Wayne- the fantastic govenor! He kept Bangkok dry! As promised!