Road From Samoeng To Pai Open?

yumidesign

Has anyone been on the Samoeng to Pai goat track road recently, like after the last wet season. Went to Samoeng last weekend shopping for strawberries (not good too early in the season) and got the usual conflicting information from two of the locals. One said 4 wheel drive only the other no problems mate. Any real info much appreciated

Last year I saw that part of the road not too far past Samoeng had a lot of work being done at the time--big equipment on the roadside in the process of widening and flattening out the surface.When I got to the end of the construction the original dirt road looked too challenging for a regular sedan. But just then a small vios-type car came ambling out no problem. Never tried it myself but also interested to know how far they've gotten.

I drove the road last week on a KLX. I do not recommend it at the moment. The road from Samoeng up to Bo Kaeo is very potholed. The road past Bo Kaeo for the next 40km is very good. But once the pavement ends the rains have created a heavily rutted road for the next 35km to the outskirts of Wat Chan where the pavement begins again. That section is probably not possible in a sedan, only a pickup truck, and even then it is slow going. The paved road is fine from Wat Chan down to Pai. Too bad because when the unpaved section is in better condition it is a great option to Pai.

We did the "track" two weeks ago , it was in a very bad shape .Big washouts everywhere . No proplem with a 4v4 though as long as you like a challenge . Saw a couple of lokals in their bashed out 2x2 , personelly we was very happy to have 4x4 . From Wat Chan to Samoeng it took us nearly

5 hours . There was plenty of repair work going on , so it might be in a better shape as of today .

Biggest reason to not do it in a 2 wheel drive car; if you got caught on that road with a sudden rain storm you will get stuck and be spending the night in the mountains.

Otherwise a fantastic route, and one of the better dirt roads for a street bike in the north west. Also the north portion of the Mae Hong Song loop has less farm land and more forest, then the southern half. Couple days ago was ridding the dirt road connecting Mae Yuam area through to Mae Chaem, the last of the dirt routes I'd yet to ride in that area, and the southern areas are heavily farmed. Though all these farm roads are traveled by the 2x2 farm trucks, there are those spots on route that would not be kind to a passenger car.

The paved road is fine from Wat Chan down to Pai. Too bad because when the unpaved section is in better condition it is a great option to Pai.

I really enjoy that ride to/from Wat Chan. Cross the Pai river at the bridge instead of continuing straight for the old scenic route back or left to the little hot spring right before Muang Paeng..

Any plans to pave the last 35 km to Wat Chan? I've heard the drive from Wat Chan to MHS is interesting too but never did it...

Any plans to pave the last 35 km to Wat Chan? I've heard the drive from Wat Chan to MHS is interesting too but never did it...

Talking to road crews last month and this month they told me that in the next 2 years the last 38 kms will be paved. Seeing as this road leads to Pai, that area will see some change once the backpackers and minivans hit that route.

Talking to road crews last month and this month they told me that in the next 2 years the last 38 kms will be paved. Seeing as this road leads to Pai, that area will see some change once the backpackers and minivans hit that route.

Seeing as how they already put in a good road to Wat Chan from Pai and built a beautiful new hospital out there it appears that someone has big plans to ruindevelop that area. Also for whoever was asking there is a nice guesthouse at the reservoir park a few km toward Pai or you can camp there, and no doubt a couple other little places along with restaurants in town.

For what it is worth, the plans are for a 4-lane divided highway between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son via Wat Chan. Just about the time the last section of the Samoeng-Wat Chan road is paved it will start to become somewhat obsolete.

how many KM's total from Samoeng to Pai?

Would be epic on a bicycle. Anyone try it? I am guessing it would be a multi day trip. Are there places to stay in between?

It's about 200kms from CM-Pai via Samoeng, so guessing about 160kms Samoeng-Pai. Have heard of it being done in two days - kip on temple floor at Wat Chan. I'd be tempted to have a night in Samoeng, a night in Wat Chan, two in Pai, and then straight back on the main road.

how many KM's total from Samoeng to Pai?

Would be epic on a bicycle. Anyone try it? I am guessing it would be a multi day trip. Are there places to stay in between?

Plenty of places; there is a homestay signed half way along from Samoeng heading NW towards Pai before the dirt section, Ban BoKaeo?, and in Wat Chan you have several accommodation choices from the Karen lodge retreat, a guesthouse and even little bungalows. Or the cheap Charlies can kip on the Wat floors on route.

Ride it before the expressway is built. B)

Average time for this ride not pushing it

12:05. Read your post and it sounds like a good idea for a ride. Gear on.

1:00. Top up in Samoeng

3:00. Back on pavement again and no more rain for the rest of the ride.

4:30. Leave Pai with a full tank and stomach.

6:45. Back home after a nice afternoons ride of 352 kms.

Edited by Fishenough