Shipping A Bicycle To France, Cheap Ideas?

DavidMavec

Hello...

I bought a bicycle in Thailand (it weighs about 19 kg with the box).

I booked a flight to France and want to take my bicycle to France. I've flown with a bicycle before in other parts of the world and it has been affordable for the extra sports equipment charge. However, not in this case. Turns out that if I were to bring the baggage as luggage I would have to pay around 30,000 THB, almost twice as much as the bicycle cost! It's ridiculous and if I can't find an inexpensive solution I will need to sell the bicycle.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea as to how I could ship the bicycle from Thailand to France inexpensively. It would be disassembled in a box and I wouldn't mind if it takes several weeks to arrive.

Any thoughts?

THB 30,000 is way too much, so you will have to find another airline. Some airlines have cheap prices for sports equipment like ski, golf bags and bicycles. Just shop around and see who has the best offers.

THB 30,000 is way too much, so you will have to find another airline. Some airlines have cheap prices for sports equipment like ski, golf bags and bicycles. Just shop around and see who has the best offers.

Air Asia was about $35 on an international flight ... must be boxed

or completely wrapped in cellophane ... up to 20kgs.

Bon Chance.

You need one of these, sadly more than the cost of the bike. Then it would be luggage. Oversized yes but simply luggage.

Road-Bike-Bag.jpg

Best advice so far is what I would have said. Take the box to the post office. Send it registered so someone has to sign for it then it can be tracked.

You need one of these, sadly more than the cost of the bike. Then it would be luggage. Oversized yes but simply luggage.

Road-Bike-Bag.jpg

Best advice so far is what I would have said. Take the box to the post office. Send it registered so someone has to sign for it then it can be tracked.

Thanks...

Yeah I enquired at the post office. They told me it would be about 8000 THB air mail and I would get it in about two weeks or it would be 3500 THB by ship and I would get it in three months.

Anyone ever try sending something back to Europe by ship (the cheapest way) via the post office? The lady said it could be less than three months or it could be more. Anyone have any experience?

Road-Bike-Bag.jpg

Thanks...

Yeah I enquired at the post office. They told me it would be about 8000 THB air mail and I would get it in about two weeks or it would be 3500 THB by ship and I would get it in three months.

Anyone ever try sending something back to Europe by ship (the cheapest way) via the post office? The lady said it could be less than three months or it could be more. Anyone have any experience?

Well it's a cool bag but it's also a breakaway frame (2 piece) I doubt yours is. What is your bike worth? 19kg sounds pretty heavy unless the box weighs 9 or 10kg. (maybe it's a downhiller)

I shipped from Canada to here on the boat and it was a little over two months. Canada to Spain 2 months as well. Post office both cases and all was well. I have sold and shipped a few bikes on flea bay

as well and so far never any trouble with the post system.

The dimensions of the box will be what your charged for, its a weight/size ratio. For example probably if you put a few more kilo in you would pay the same, as it's "oversize". Take the bike completely apart

and you can fit it in a much smaller box. Cranks, fork, rims. Get a bike box and cut it apart and remake your own box to min size. good luck

marcus

Road-Bike-Bag.jpg

Thanks...

Well it's a cool bag but it's also a breakaway frame (2 piece) I doubt yours is. What is your bike worth? 19kg sounds pretty heavy unless the box weighs 9 or 10kg. (maybe it's a downhiller)

I shipped from Canada to here on the boat and it was a little over two months. Canada to Spain 2 months as well. Post office both cases and all was well. I have sold and shipped a few bikes on flea bay

as well and so far never any trouble with the post system.

The dimensions of the box will be what your charged for, its a weight/size ratio. For example probably if you put a few more kilo in you would pay the same, as it's "oversize". Take the bike completely apart

and you can fit it in a much smaller box. Cranks, fork, rims. Get a bike box and cut it apart and remake your own box to min size. good luck

marcus

Thanks... yeah you´re right the box wouldn't work for mine. It's a mountain bike; I've boxed it and taken it on the plane before and it does weigh about 20 kg in total. My bike with the extras I have installed is only worth around 20,000 baht new. I'm debating trying to sell it here instead but I really like having it and will be in a region of France where there is a lot of cycling.... dunno yet.

Thanks... yeah you´re right the box wouldn't work for mine. It's a mountain bike; I've boxed it and taken it on the plane before and it does weigh about 20 kg in total. My bike with the extras I have installed is only worth around 20,000 baht new. I'm debating trying to sell it here instead but I really like having it and will be in a region of France where there is a lot of cycling.... dunno yet.

So you sell it for what? 12,000 maybe even 15,000, but maybe less then add the 8000. Can you buy the same bike in France for 20,000? If not pay the 8,000. Consider it a souvenir from Thailand. People ship home more illogical stuff!

Here's a more reasonable picture for the Gram Geeks.whistling.gif

BMX_Bike_Case_MTB_Bicycle_bag_Road_bikes_Box.jpg

Edited by VocalNeal

So you sell it for what? 12,000 maybe even 15,000, but maybe less then add the 8000. Can you buy the same bike in France for 20,000? If not pay the 8,000. Consider it a souvenir from Thailand. People ship home more illogical stuff!

I'd be lucky to get even that I think. Some people won't want to pay for all the extras I have installed like trip computer, front/rear lights, rack, etc... I'm thinking I might get like 8000 baht if I'm lucky!

I'd be lucky to get even that I think. Some people won't want to pay for all the extras I have installed like trip computer, front/rear lights, rack, etc... I'm thinking I might get like 8000 baht if I'm lucky!

Send me a picture i might buy it for that! laugh.gif