Letter From Thai Police

ScottFtr

My girlfriend got a phone call from her sisiter lat night saying that a letter had arrived at her house from the police. it said that our car, which is in her name, was caught speeding and there is a photo of the front and back of the car and we have to pay a fine before the 15th of December. Anybody heard of this before? She didn't say how much the fine was.

I got one for the motorcycle, a letter stating that I had ran away from a police checkpoint... I asked my (at that time) girlfriend and she confirmed it... I walked in to the police station, asked what it was... the 400B fine ended up in me paying 100B...

they do send out letters, and speed cameras are more normal now... they are just very slow, pay the fine, keep the pictures as souvenirs...

maybe you could scan the pictures and let us have a look at the quality... They do have a very high tech. system close to bangkok now... VERY HIGH TECH..

I got one for the motorcycle, a letter stating that I had ran away from a police checkpoint... I asked my (at that time) girlfriend and she confirmed it... I walked in to the police station, asked what it was... the 400B fine ended up in me paying 100B...

they do send out letters, and speed cameras are more normal now... they are just very slow, pay the fine, keep the pictures as souvenirs...

maybe you could scan the pictures and let us have a look at the quality... They do have a very high tech. system close to bangkok now... VERY HIGH TECH..

The pictures both from Petchabun and Bangkok were excellent quality I must say

I have gotten 2 of them

400 bath, can be paid at the post office I think

Be honest and pay :)

Same here...went to get my new tags...nope had to go to the police station first...2 photos of me doing something

I should not have...B800 later...all was ok....

According to pc plod round the corner this is a scam, police would never ask you to pay a fine at the post office. We were told to take it to the police and show them and he said we would be told the same so not sure now.

Having a good giggle at this until the post arrived today and

guess what, a similar fan letter saying I was doing 126kmph

in a 90kmph limit, location Klongphal, thats on the way back

from Korat Highway 2, near the big dam - but I am getting done

for 500 baht.

Sum Num Na :D

s both from Petchabun and Bangkok were excellent quality I must say

Oh no! I just blew through Petchabun doing 120-130 last week. (Which is hard to do if you think of the roads.)

I've moved since I bought my car, so what does that mean? When I go to pay yearly tax I have to go to the police station first? Please don't tell me you have to go to the province of the fine...

I got flagged down on the chonburi motorway a year ago, showed me some poor pictures of me doing a above speed limit which at the time in question i know i was not doing, was definately a racket as many other motoriist were lining up at a make shift tent to pay on the spot fines, I protested somewhat and they reduced my fine based on a new agreed speed of 128kmph i still wasnt doing but decided to just pay the small fine and move on. Guess it was to help offset a budget deficit at the preciinct or shore up revenues. Either way whilst i dont condone wreckless driving and heavy speeding and tend to drive pretty defensively in LOS, its a bit of shame the new cams are in because i quite enjoy the freedom and more relaxed driving atmosphere. As someone who has driven in Thailand for about 10 years already, i do prefer LOS and dislike the way i need to be extra dilligent and cautious of potential steep fines and penalty points when driving abroad. Guess there will be a new market for prosumer solutions to this in form of radar detectors for the cops on highway and licence plate film/spray which procures overexposed readouts. Ill definately consider the plate spray given the prevalence of the citations others are mentioning in the thread, not so much for the small fine but more for the inconvienance of paying it and potential for the cameras to be wrong as they have been with me in australia!

s both from Petchabun and Bangkok were excellent quality I must say

Oh no! I just blew through Petchabun doing 120-130 last week. (Which is hard to do if you think of the roads.)

I've moved since I bought my car, so what does that mean? When I go to pay yearly tax I have to go to the police station first? Please don't tell me you have to go to the province of the fine...

Post office

Must give the Car Rental Boys a headache , when my mates thrash em back to Swampy from the North East...biggrin.gif

That's one of the reasons why most rental co's only accept credit cards. Expect a late charge on your card.

When my Mates go Home their Credit Cards are worthless, depleted by Booze n Bar Girlz... Oh to be Young Again.!!biggrin.gif

Having a good giggle at this until the post arrived today and

guess what, a similar fan letter saying I was doing 126kmph

in a 90kmph limit, location Klongphal, thats on the way back

from Korat Highway 2, near the big dam - but I am getting done

for 500 baht.

Budget for cameras say 2012 for North, 2013 for Isarn and 2014 for Phuket and a couple more southern provinces

I got flagged down on the chonburi motorway a year ago, showed me some poor pictures of me doing a above speed limit which at the time in question i know i was not doing, was definately a racket as many other motoriist were lining up at a make shift tent to pay on the spot fines, I protested somewhat and they reduced my fine based on a new agreed speed of 128kmph i still wasnt doing but decided to just pay the small fine and move on. Guess it was to help offset a budget deficit at the preciinct or shore up revenues. Either way whilst i dont condone wreckless driving and heavy speeding and tend to drive pretty defensively in LOS, its a bit of shame the new cams are in because i quite enjoy the freedom and more relaxed driving atmosphere. As someone who has driven in Thailand for about 10 years already, i do prefer LOS and dislike the way i need to be extra dilligent and cautious of potential steep fines and penalty points when driving abroad. Guess there will be a new market for prosumer solutions to this in form of radar detectors for the cops on highway and licence plate film/spray which procures overexposed readouts. Ill definately consider the plate spray given the prevalence of the citations others are mentioning in the thread, not so much for the small fine but more for the inconvienance of paying it and potential for the cameras to be wrong as they have been with me in australia!

On a 90kmh highway, fine is same doing 120 or 160kmh, usually 200 baht and limited to 1.000 baht. Manual speedchecks usually catch the above 120kmh only

By the way, ive got the Paint , a friend from Ozz brought it over last year, hes done mine and his. It was Brushed on , about 3 Coats. Now he doesn't get about much like me , but when he does its always Hi Ways. Not had a Pic since, but how can i say it works , or its just lucky we missed them.. If i see one ill go back and blast through it , let u know. !!. Tell me where there is one permanent if you know.coffee1.gif

By the way, ive got the Paint , a friend from Ozz brought it over last year, hes done mine and his. It was Brushed on , about 3 Coats. Now he doesn't get about much like me , but when he does its always Hi Ways. Not had a Pic since, but how can i say it works , or its just lucky we missed them.. If i see one ill go back and blast through it , let u know. !!. Tell me where there is one permanent if you know.coffee1.gif

expressway 9 and 7, many boxes, always at least one camera working, right lane only, usually above 120kmh, even if speedlimit is 80kmh during rush hours

would love some of that paint :)

until then I stretch the redplates as long as possible, different front and rear upsets them ;)

ouch, RR your VIN can be read in windscreen and on tax sticker, WS you need to cover up :D

Ill give it a go next week. As for the BIB ive never had any complaints , perhaps its my attitude , dont care, happy go luckey. There was one Radar Cop in Ubon Rat by the New Uni who pulled me over 3 times in a morning so his friends could sit behind the wheel. 200 Bht for 190, first time @ about 6.15 A.M. Then he waved for weeks after that.. . Asked a M/Way Patrol Car how to get somewhere in Rangsit. so he put the Lights on and took me there. Felt a right prat, i can tell you. biggrin.gif.

On a 90kmh highway, fine is same doing 120 or 160kmh, usually 200 baht and limited to 1.000 baht. Manual speedchecks usually catch the above 120kmh only

Agreed, but this was most definately a racket, the picture quality was very poor and pixelated. Bottom line the fine went from 600 baht to 200 baht which is what counted, but i can say with absolute certainty that i was not over 120kmph as i wasnt even in the far right "passing lane" that can equate to a fine if used! I just shrugged it off as there is surely instances where i have been above 120kmph....just highlighting the potential abuse of these systems to extort as they were that day.

Mythbusters proved pretty convincingly it doesn't work <_< .. But you can try this..