Cm Immigration Proof Of Income

BB1955

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know exactly what documentation is acceptable and what is not? I will be applying for my first extension based on retirement next year. I am planning on using the income method. I have more than enough income from my investments. If asked for additional documentation, I was planning on providing copies of my US bank statements which show sufficient income being deposited, and ATM withdrawals into Thailand. Will this suffice? Thank you.

When I first moved here twelve years ago they wanted to see a letter that confirmed I had set up an account that would send me money from abroad. I asked my brokerage house to compose a letter stating how much they were sending monthly (I have it sent quarterly)and get as many signatures as possible at the bottom of the letter. Since then there's never been a request for additional confirmation of my "pension" draw.

Actually that is not all there is to it.

You can have 400,000 Baht and a income of 32,500 baht a month.

Or any thing that ads up percentage wise.

For instance if you had 90% of the 800,000 baht it would amount to 720,000 baht. You would then need a guaranteed income equal to 10% of your monthly income 6,250..

As long as the percentages add up to 100%. It is OK

Not sure if you need the consulates affidavit for the 800,000 baht deposit. Maybe the bank statement is enough. I don't know.I have heard that it has to be in the bank at least 60 days. Another rumor said 90 days.

But you do need the certificate for the guaranteed income.

I'm afraid that the above is not correct. It's not the "percentages that have to add up", if using a combination of yearly income and bank deposit the target is 800,000 baht. The examples used by hellodolly would not qualify you for a retirement extension:

400,000 baht bank deposit plus 12 x 32,500 baht income = 790,000 baht

720,000 baht bank deposit plus 12 x 6,250 baht income = 795,000 baht

Neither meets the requirement which is 800,000 baht.

Sophon

Well you may or may not be correct

12x 65,000= 780,000 baht

As you can see the amount is not that important.

Chiang mai doesn't hold a monopoly on asking some folks to provide proof of income.

This is specific to requirements at Chiang Mai immigration and not else where were different requirements may be needed. As such it is just fine here. Each office has their own definitions and the best way to find about Chiang Mai specific requirements is to ask Chiang Mai expats who have experience and as a heads up to other Chiang Mai expats.

For instance if you had 90% of the 800,000 baht it would amount to 720,000 baht. You would then need a guaranteed income equal to 10% of your monthly income 6,250..

Not sure if you need the consulates affidavit for the 800,000 baht deposit. Maybe the bank statement is enough. I don't know.I have heard that it has to be in the bank at least 60 days. Another rumor said 90 days.

I'm afraid that the above is not correct. It's not the "percentages that have to add up", if using a combination of yearly income and bank deposit the target is 800,000 baht. The examples used by hellodolly would not qualify you for a retirement extension:

Sophon

12x 65,000= 780,000 baht

No, he is correct. Not may or may not -- IS correct.

Your confusion is over the difference between the income method and the bank account/combo methods.

For the income method, 65K baht x 12 equally 780K baht INCOME qualifies.

For either bank account method (full 800K or a combo of income letter plus bank account) the total must be at least 800K.

I'm really puzzled to see all the complications involving visa extension. Just today I accompanied my BIL to the Immigration at Soi Suan Plu. My BIL is an American citizen who registered his marriage in Thailand to a Thai permanent resident. He's in his late 50's, so is his wife. There's nothing required of them except copies of their marriage certificate, passports, and permanent resident certificate. No letter from the bank or any proof of income were necessary. 30 minutes was all it took for a one-year non-immigrant "O" visa.

About 5 years ago, a bank statement certifying a balance of B400,000 was required but for the past 5 years or so it was not necessary.

My other BIL got permanent residence in the late 90's for buying some government bond issued through BOI (when the bubble burst). I think he bought a 10m bahts bond for 3 years paying 18% per annum. He would come in to Thailand every 3 months to get his passbook updated on the interest. He sent his 3 kids here attending international school for about 6 years. He had since relinquished his Thai permanent residence after he got his green card at the US because he didn't feel like coming to Thailand every year.

i went last friday to renew retirement visa with an appointment from the website, all i needed was the affidavit, in and out 40 minutes.

Nothing has changed at Immigration for proof of income. There are a couple of haters on Thai Visa that enjoy stirring the pot. There a couple of gullible Americans that buy into their rantings, and you end up with a lot of idiotic postings that have no meaning. If Immigration were to tighten their requirements they would start with requiring additional proof of income from the Brits since there are so many of them living from hand to mouth in Thailand. :-)

Sophon

12x 65,000= 780,000 baht

I am correct, the rules are very clear on this point. To qualify for a retirement extension you have to have either:

1. Monthly income of 65,000 baht (780,000 baht per year), or

2. a bank deposit of 800,000 baht for three months (two months for the first extension), or

3. a combination of yearly income and bank deposit totaling 800,000 baht

And the amount suddently seems very important when your application for an extension is rejected because you are a few thousand baht short.

Sophon

There is really no big deal here . They are doing what they are suposed to do . I was nt dressed like a bum and I had a back up folder with all the documents I needed . There is nothing wrong with a spot check here and there to make sure people are telling the truth . I have nothing but compassion for the people working in the immigration office here , its a mad house most of the time and they do a good job of getting you in and out in a reasonable time . I had no appointment I showed up at 10:30 got a number and was called before I had time to drink a cup of coffee and was out in 20 minutes . I was expecting it to be an all day ordeal ..

For those of us who brought our wives to the USA , this sure beats the 8 or 9 trips I made to US immigration and the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I paid the US government .. So I think we should be thankful to the people of Thailand for sharing thier country with us. We are still guests no matter how much money we have or spend ....

• 4 weeks later...

Using my online queue appointment, I just did my annual retirement extension using the US consulate income letter. Normally, I declare the minimum monthly income since I don't need to tell them my actual higher monthly income. This time, I increased the monthly income requirement by 50% just in case it was needed for my foreign wife who was also getting her 1st dependent extension with me. I also printed out supporting financial statements but I was NOT ASKED any proof. The officer ignored the larger monthly income on the letter and wrote on her internal form 780K. She also asked me what was the source of my income, so I told her, bank dividends as well as what my monthly total rent cost was. I was in and out in 45 minutes.

Just a note, even though Police Order reason 2.2 for non-Thai dependents does not mention any financial income requirement, someone I know told me that when he inquired about financial requirement for a foreign dependent, a Immigration officer told him he needed an additional 400K. Whether he misunderstood or not, I played it safe by declaring a higher monthly income.