Scary Taxi Drivers

papaya9

I went to Bangkok with my TGF not too long ago. We usually took taxis around town with no problems, until we got one near Wat Po. We saw a single taxi parked in the front and we jumped in. The first thing I noticed was the driver's vile body odour :o . It was really horrible and it would've offended a septic-tank evacuator. My first impulse was to get out and find another taxi, but my GF said just to deal with it for a little longer. I quickly noticed that this taxi driver (who looked about 30 yrs old) was burning holes in the back of my GF's head with his eyes, via the rearview mirror. He intensely stared at her like a depraved and crazed animal, again and again. He'd momentarily look at me in the mirror, but I pretended that I was unaware what he was doing. It was really bizarre and spooky for me. It then dawned on me that perhaps he was one of these predatory taxi guys who drug and rape their female occupants. I then looked down and noticed a red facial towel, looking damp, sitting right behind the gear shift lever. My GF later said that he probably puts this towel over his face after he releases something into the air to subdue his victim. Are we right in our assumption, or does the guy take a shower with this little towel? At any event, it was unsettling and we were glad to be out of there!

Kurt

Yeah, there are some really strange taxi drivers in Bkk.

Had one last year, really frightening looking, scars all over his neck and face. It was around 3 in the morning though and, I suppose I was a little worse for wear. If it hadn't of been I suppose I wouldn't have got in with him.

Even so, he got me from Khao San to Pat in no time at all, safely and turned out to be pretty cool. I suppose its books and covers but, when people smell bad and check out your Mrs with no thought for you, different bottle o badgers that. :o

redrus

My GF was mugged by a taxi driver last week. He took her down a small soi in Thonglor, pulled her out of the cab, pushed her face down on the bonnet and took 2500 baht and her mobile phone before driving off.

Bastard.

She travels by taxi everyday. This has destroyed her confidence.

I immediately went out and bought her some pepper spray from sukhumvit road. At least it gives her a little confidence.

I've not had any dangerous experiences as such, but a girlfriend of mine gets cabs from the airport often. She has had about 5 drivers doze off whilst driving on the top deck of the toll road! She has to whack them in the shoulder to wake them up. One of them had the gall to tell her that it was 'bpep diao' and that she shouldn't worry!

Crazy.

I quickly noticed that this taxi driver (who looked about 30 yrs old) was burning holes in the back of my GF's head with his eyes, via the rearview mirror.  He intensely stared at her like a depraved and crazed animal, again and again. 

Kurt

How did he manage to do this.....which way was she sitting..... :o:D

It then dawned on me that perhaps he was one of these predatory taxi guys who drug and rape their female occupants.  I then looked down and noticed a red facial towel, looking damp, sitting right behind the gear shift lever.  My GF later said that he probably puts this towel over his face after he releases something into the air to subdue his victim.    Are we right in our assumption, or does the guy take a shower with this little towel?  At any event, it was unsettling and we were glad to be out of there! 

Kurt

Could it be that he is trying to keep his petrol costs down by not running the a/c when he doesnt have customers.....that would account for the smell and the damp cloth. :o

Rather scary I'd say, At night, I always tell Gfs to use new taxis with older drivers, have their phone ready to be used in their hand and to immedietly clock the taxi number.

I hate any taxis taken from any terminal, bus, airport etc What is it with these taxi drivers? Old bumpy cars and asking "where you come from" all the time.

I used to go out to the end of the small soi where we lived and flag down a cab. I would then get the car to go back to the apartment block so we could pick up my waiting wife and daughter.

One day the taxi I flagged down headed down the soi as instructed, but as soon as I told him to go into the apartment block, he started making these weird groaning noises and acting as if he was scared stiff of the place - he just kept going, quite slowly and refused even to stop - although I was by this time yelling at him in Thai to stop and let me out.

Eventually, about another 100 metres down the road I'd had enough and belted him over the back of the head with my open hand. He immediately stopped, and I jumped out...

I won't tell you what I said at the time...but as you can imagine, it was mai supharp mahk!

Edited by Greer

When I get grief from a taxi driver, I use my camera phone to take a photo of the number on the inside of the door. This is usually enough to make them back down.

I guess girls could do this and pretend to fwd the pic to their bf's, husbands or fathers.

It's better to be paranoid sometimes.

After coming back from a visa run to Cambodia, the mini bus droped me off at the Amari Atrium, from there I had to get back to my hotel at Floraville. As I got out of the minibus a taxi was pulling up to drop a farang couple so as they got out I got in.

As soon as we set of the driver said something in Thai quite aggresivley, I didn't understand so I said sorry I don't speak Thai, again he said the same thing but louder, so I raised my voice also slightly and then he literally shouted it at me and continued to shout on in Thai untill his voice gradually lowered, then he was talking to himself repeating the same few sentances over and over. I was at this point debating on whether to jump out at the next set of lights. All the time his body language was twitchy, then he started singing and mumbling again.

Then he pulled over, I thought <deleted> is going on here and was getting ready to get on my toes if he came near the back door. He walked round the front of the car and upto some fencing and started having a piss! It wasn't a quiet road either. I thought, right I've got a right nutter here, best to just keep stum and keep cool. When he got back in the car he was like, arrrhh and seemed more relaxed. Eventually we pulled up, I paid him and got out. What a relief that was!

Nutter :o

Bendix,

What time of day or night did the mugging happen?

Usually the only thing I get is some trick to not use the meter, then naming an inflated price to the destination. Or not having any change when paid.

Can get around the first by setting an agreeement to use the meter before getting in - and the second by having a good selection of small bills & change.

It seems many taxi drivers are quoting about 300 Baht back and forth to the airport from Sukhumwit. Probably not unreasonable to cover their increased fuel expenses, so I have sometimes gone along with it.

Not had much problem otherwise. I did hear one report translated to me recently that a young woman was burned alive apparently by a taxi driver. She lived for a few days but then passed away.

kenk3z

I immediately went out and bought her some pepper spray from sukhumvit road.  At least it gives her a little confidence.

No offense but I think she was probably expecting 2500 baht and a new mobile phone.

Offense taken.

Don't judge everyone by the same standards, pal. She's currently using my spare phone while the insurance is sorted on the other one - yes, it was insured.

And as for the money, in her view she'd rather wave the money away; she's just thankful she wasnt raped or hurt in some way.

Not all Thai girls are they same; perhaps you're jaundiced through personal experience.

A nasty snide little post. Congratulations.

Best thing to do is trying to book a taxi at all times.

Mind you I once punched one up on the elevated highway from the airport after he tried to do the bt.750 trick, I said ok, than at the approach toll stop told him to turn the meter on. He refused, made a trantum and he threw me out the cab with luggage et all. He then still had the balls to ask me for the bt.500.

By that time there was a queu behind the cab, but anyway I gave it to him and a couple of labourers on a pick-up even helped me.

Anyway, another cab arrived and took me home for bt.120 plus a nice tip.

So watch them!

wow this post has scared me a little. im 17, and my mom is coming out to thailand in a week and we're going to do some exploring. we'll be travelling w/o any guys so this would definitely put us at risk for muggings or worse. would it be wise to invest in some pepper spray, and if so, where can i find some? its not like we'll be out at 3 am or anything, but id rather play it safe. thanks.

funkygirl: I got a pepper spray from a shop called 'Chai-Yo' on the one floor down from SF cinema, MBK. It's opposite to Watson. Price can be varied, but shouldn't be more than 350 THB. :D

fxm88: Not every Thai gals, or ,I believe, most of the gals will concern about materials more than their own lives---ur comment is just so pathetically nasty.

Bendix: Sorry to hear abt what happened to ur gf. I hope she will soon get over this terrible time.

I'm one of those who have to travel by cabs---not my first choice, but it's just convenient and not a time-consuming way by waiting for buses. Recently, there have been lots of frightening news about scary taxi drivers---which I hardly know if this kinda thing will be lessen. Anyway, even I'm fearless (as my pen name saying such), I took a good advice and got myself a pepper spray---Some more suggestions

- Get cabs from Taxi Call Centers, it's safer and the cars r mostly new and in good condition (no discriminate here).

- Try to sit on the back in the same side as the driver, at least he won't get easy way to attack u.

- Jot down license plate numbers and as much as details as u can get while hopping into the cab....it's ok if u do it obviously, another psychological trick to let drivers know that u have their details.

- If u can't find pepper spray, use others kinda spray...instinctively, I think it works.

I hope I won't have to use the pepper spray I bought and hope for the same to others. Just a little note here, I've come across some nice drivers---so dun let those bastards spoil ur ride :o

post-24297-1132674598_thumb.jpg

Rather scary I'd say, At night, I always tell Gfs to use new taxis with older drivers, have their phone ready to be used in their hand and to immedietly clock the taxi number.

That's good advice. My gf will only get in a cab with older drivers if she hsa to take a cab at night, and prefers tuk tuks because she can jump out and run. Also, take the cabs with lots Buddhist stuff on the dashboard as the guys are more likely to be safe.

That's good advice. My gf will only get in a cab with older drivers if she hsa to take a cab at night, and prefers tuk tuks because she can jump out and run. Also, take the cabs with lots Buddhist stuff on the dashboard as the guys are more likely to be safe.

i like to buy at night drives this nicee jasmin flowers and i do it one for the issan cab driver i try to get and one for me and i never got cheated or anything else even i aam totally drunk sorry just once there was a driver who try this taxi meter trick to push up the payment he continuly pushed a button at the meter like on a radio to search the station and each time the price jumped up

wso i stoped him in the nowhere my girl got scared but i paid and steped of and took 15 min and 2km later the next one

o.k. night sport and talk with my lady she didn't got it

the taxi station i asked one week later about something like this told me to track colour and numberplate and to report to tourist-police

but never happen since that time

I've not had any dangerous experiences as such, but a girlfriend of mine gets cabs from the airport often.  She has had about 5 drivers doze off whilst driving on the top deck of the toll road!  She has to whack them in the shoulder to wake them up.  One of them had the gall to tell her that it was 'bpep diao' and that she shouldn't worry! 

Crazy.

:o "Bpep diao" :D

Edited by OZONE

I got pepper spray (200 baht) from a street vendor at the corner of Sukhumvit Road and Soi 11/1. One of those vendors who sell knives and marshall arts rubbish. They dont show it on the stalls . you have to ask cos it's not strictly legal.

Oh, and before this gets out of hand, let me state that the vast majority of taxi drivers I have dealt with in BKK have been kind, helpful and considerate. GF says that she thinks the guy who robbed her did it opportunistically - she says he seemed more scared than she was.

Having said that, it does no harm to be prepared, especially if you're a girl travelling alone.

wow this post has scared me a little. im 17, and my mom is coming out to thailand in a week and we're going to do some exploring. we'll be travelling w/o any guys so this would definitely put us at risk for muggings or worse. would it be wise to invest in some pepper spray, and if so, where can i find some? its not like we'll be out at 3 am or anything, but id rather play it safe. thanks.

Some months ago we did some visiting to Ms Beach’s family up Issan way. We were going to hire a car but while talking prices and driving license and all that stuff the guy said why don’t you hire a minibus with driver only 1800bt per day plus gas. :o

Wow! A whole minibus all to ourselves, Great!

Almost new very clean and air conditioned. Might be an option for you and your mom.

Beachcomber :D

I used to go out to the end of the small soi where we lived and flag down a cab. I would then get the car to go back to the apartment block so we could pick up my waiting wife and daughter.

One day the taxi I flagged down headed down the soi as instructed, but as soon as I told him to go into the apartment block, he started making these weird groaning noises and acting as if he was scared stiff of the place - he just kept going, quite slowly and refused even to stop - although I was by this time yelling at him in Thai to stop and let me out.

Eventually, about another 100 metres down the road I'd had enough and belted him over the back of the head with my open hand. He immediately stopped, and I jumped out...

I won't tell you what I said at the time...but as you can imagine, it was mai supharp mahk!

:o May be he had insight of ghost(s) in the soi and want to stay away?

"belted him on the head & mai suparp" :D I think it goes hand in hand. Becoming a bit violent areb't we? :D .....very funny though

it is scary...

i am a woman who travels alone most of the time too. luckily i haven't had any bad experiences with taxi drivers...

any ladies who *are* planning to go out late, i found a good way be safe is to have a male friend catch a taxi back with you, and have the driver drop you off before driving him home. no problems that way, and if it is a good friend he won't mind going out of his way a little to make sure you will be ok.

:o

I am the one who always scare travel alone with Taxi at night time and try to avoid using at night time. And try to tell the taxi driver the way I want to go, and dont let him know that I dont know the way. Recently I got a mail giving the hint during using taxi. If you have handy with camera, take a driver one pix and sending your friend...send sms...telling yr friend, name and number of taxi driver.

Not a bad idea. I have heard, some bad driver likes to pick women ( who married with Farang ) from Airport, Bus station , Esaan route ( morchit or so ). They know women who live abroad has much more money.

Taxi from call center is good too. I seldom met a suspicious driver but I always scare and never trust easily. I dont like to talk much with driver.

Better be carefully !!!! :o

i have had two bad experiences with taxis late at night alone- one tried to climb in the back seat and molest me at a stoplight, when i told him sharply to just keep driving please he took me to some love hotel in a dark alley and tried to convince me to come in with him, i had to pretend to be a dominatrix and control him psychologically, fortunately it worked and i managed to get to a place i recognized, jump out and flip him the bird. the other guy parked in a dark alley as well and tried to snatch my purse. i slapped his hand but that was the extent of it. now i don't talk to them or give them the benefit of the doubt. hate taxis.