Scary Taxi Drivers

papaya9

After coming b

Then he pulled over, I thought <deleted> is going on here and was getting ready to get on my toes if he came near the back door. He walked round the front of the car and upto some fencing and started having a piss! It wasn't a quiet road either. I thought, right I've got a right nutter here, best to just keep stum and keep cool. When he got back in the car he was like, arrrhh and seemed more relaxed. Eventually we pulled up, I paid him and got out. What a relief that was!

Nutter  :o

Sounds like the pit stop created relief for both of you. :D

i have had two bad experiences with taxis late at night alone- one tried to climb in the back seat and molest me at a stoplight, when i told him sharply to just keep driving please he took me to some love hotel in a dark alley and tried to convince me to come in with him, i had to pretend to be a dominatrix and control him psychologically, fortunately it worked and i managed to get to a place i recognized, jump out and flip him the bird.  the other guy parked in a dark alley as well and tried to snatch my purse. i slapped his hand but that was the extent of it. now i don't talk to them or give them the benefit of the doubt. hate taxis.

sweet jesus! :o those are some pretty harrowing taxi experiences! quick thinking on the dominatrix thing. i'm so glad you emerged unscathed.

was there any indication that these guys were creeps before you got in the taxi?

no indication at all... they might have been more talkative than usual, and they ALWAYS look at me in the rearview mirror which drives me nuts. i was surprised in both cases actually because it seemed to come out of nowhere. i didn't think to get their cab #s at the time but will definitely next time.

Girlx, I'm sorry to ask this question, because I don't want to imply blame. But this is a different society, with different signals. So, I need to know if there was some recognizable pattern. For example: How were you dressed?

I went to Bangkok with my TGF not too long ago.  We usually took taxis around town with no problems, until we got one near Wat Po.  We saw a single taxi parked in the front and we jumped in.  The first thing I noticed was the driver's vile body odour :o .  It was really horrible and it would've offended a septic-tank evacuator.  My first impulse was to get out and find another taxi, but my GF said just to deal with it for a little longer.  I quickly noticed that this taxi driver (who looked about 30 yrs old) was burning holes in the back of my GF's head with his eyes, via the rearview mirror.  He intensely stared at her like a depraved and crazed animal, again and again.  He'd momentarily look at me in the mirror, but I pretended that I was unaware what he was doing.  It was really bizarre and spooky for me.  It then dawned on me that perhaps he was one of these predatory taxi guys who drug and rape their female occupants.  I then looked down and noticed a red facial towel, looking damp, sitting right behind the gear shift lever.  My GF later said that he probably puts this towel over his face after he releases something into the air to subdue his victim.    Are we right in our assumption, or does the guy take a shower with this little towel?  At any event, it was unsettling and we were glad to be out of there! 

Kurt

If you're sat behind a taxi driver who looks particularly dangerous and are convinced something bad will happen, put the tip of a large penknife against the back of his head, just below the cerebellum, and using a toffee hammer - whack it in up to the hilt.

If you're sat behind a taxi driver who looks particularly dangerous and are convinced something bad will happen, put the tip of a large penknife against the back of his head, just below the cerebellum, and using a toffee hammer - whack it in up to the hilt.

You forgot to explain how raw garlic cloves fit in here...

99.9% of all the taxi drivers I met in Bangkok were correct and friendly. But then again, being a heavy guy might not provoke the wish to get funny. :D

My gf though is very scared of taxi drivers, mostly after 6 when it gets dark. :o Pepper spray? Wouldn't that just upset them more? How many times would a scared girl really manage to spray the guy in the eyes with it?

I had 3 or 4 drivers not doing what I want though. All I do is complain (as in lose face very loudly), and then not pay them. It upsets them a lot :D Don't try it with a driver who looks like the guys in Muay Thai fights.

Taxi experiences, I've had a few.

One was a total nutter, and tried to charge me 500 baht for a 150 baht fare. When I called him a w@nkerhe got out the car and punched me in the face. I instinctively gave him one back. He then ran to his car and came running at me with a crowbar that was under his seat. When I stood there trying to psyche him out, he stopped and walked back to his car. I wouldn't recommend pissing them off like I did - I was lucky that the nearby security guards probably scared him off - and many have guns under their seats.

Most of them are really good though, and one recently refused to take any money from me, as I spoke a bit of his regional language and made him feel less homesick.

kat i have been in thailand long enough to know how to dress... in both cases i had a modest shirt and long skirt on.

Well, then you are well aware of why this question is important. It has nothing to do with blame, but rather trying to put things into a pattern. I merely asked you a question, which was not accusatory.

As a guy you rarly get raped by male cabdrivers but you do tend to get some 'unusual' riders. Like a 5minute-conversition consisting of "meter?" "yes" "meter?" "yes" "meter?" "yes", until he finally gives in and acctually turns on the meter, instead of charging 50% to much for a ride I have done so many times that I know exactly how much it should cost...

But scary, no...but then again, as I said, it's different for guys.