Trash, Filthy Water Still A Major Problem: Flood Aftermath

webfact

AFTERMATH

Trash, filthy water still a major problem

30170450-01_big.jpg

People living in inundated Bangkok districts are still struggling with trash and complaining about stinking and filthy flood waters.

Rubbish collected from Sai Mai, Thawee Watthana, Nong Khaem, Don Muang and Bang Khae districts is less than half of the usual amount.

Since the runoff raged into the capital, garbage trucks have been unable to make their rounds in many heavily flooded zones and mounting piles of garbage have further polluted the flood water.

To treat the water, effective micro-organism balls and liquid have been mixed in and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has recruited 915 volunteers to rake the refuse out of the flooded zones.

"We're trying to collect as much garbage as possible and we're trying to do it as fast as possible," BMA spokesman Wasan Meewong said.

The waste problem would get worse after flood victims return to their homes and throw out damaged stuff.

Flood waters have continued to recede in many parts of Bangkok and the levels of the Mon, Bangkok Yai and Lat Phrao canals have continued to drop.

The swamp on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road has also subsided by 20 centimetres, so officials have removed the flood barriers and big pumps from in front of the Energy Complex, which houses the government's Flood Relief Operations Centre.

However, as the flooding is dragging on in many districts, the BMA's shelters still accommodate 15,204 flood refugees.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-23

The garbage here in my part of Laksi isn't so bad, the trucks are coming round part of the area every 2 days. After 5 weeks of flooding it's the only sign that the authorities remember that we are here. The water is a different thing altogether, it stinks really quite a lot. I wouldn't mind taking a bit more water if it meant fresher water coming in and moving through, what we have now is very unpleasant.

Here in Nakhon Sawan the town/city is not so bad now, but around the outside in the countryside it like a giant fly tipping dump everywhere, I understand that there is a lot rubbish that need dealing with, now the authorities need to clean it up before we have fires or other health problems. You woulhave to be blind not see the extent of the problem and I guess it s not just here either.

Edited by nong38

Just came back to my mo-ban near salaya west bangkok, still have water in the streets, not clean at all.

I was not surprised about that, but what I was not prepared for was the amount of mosquitoes. I had a crack in one screen and my ceiling in that room was covered mosquitoes, looked like a horror movie.

That image is from the end of our soi. The man sitting there is out neighbour. I think this image was taken on Sunday during the "Big Clean Up". Today that pile is about 10 times the size. This is Bangplad, the big deal that was made about cleaning it up? Benefited Tesco Lotus, but not much else.

Sucks!

"Aftermath"

<deleted>?

Typical Bangkok mentality. They have dodged a colossal bullet and already talking like it's all over just like a bad dream. Meanwhile, those that work and live north of the city are STILL inundated, still unable to go home and still unemployed.

Another couple of weeks and it will be full-on business as usual in the Big Mango.

"Flooding? There's no flooding here. Sorry, you must be talking about some other country."

If Bangkok was on fire, I wouldn't piss on it.

Mind you, still better than being in a lot of places and we are ALL grateful for our situation. Only 3 weeks with flooding, quite good by comparison!

Ya got that right. After Katrina, New Orleans is still not been made whole.

Edited by thaigold

Here in Nakhon Sawan the town/city is not so bad now, but around the outside in the countryside it like a giant fly tipping dump everywhere, I understand that there is a lot rubbish that need dealing with, now the authorities need to clean it up before we have fires or other health problems. You woulhave to be blind not see the extent of the problem and I guess it s not just here either.

Hi Nong,

I'm in Phayuha Khiri...35 clicks north of Nakhon Sawan and they have only just moved the market back to it's original place after 3 months...I'm always in Nakhon Sawan..and what i noticed was the damage to the roads caused by the catapiller diggers that where used to build the flood defences..also the amount of dust/dirt which is everywhere....I was at the bus station the other week and you can see the tide mark on how high the water was everywhere you look....well over 2 metres...there's motorbikes that where left in the bus station carpark durning the flood and they all have evidence of underwater life....molluscs trails all over them......slowly but surely Nakhon Sawan is getting back to normal....but saying that I was in the post office the other day and they have ran out of parcel boxes..asked when the next delivery would be and they said they didn't know...it's going to take a long time for the North of Thailand to get back to normal....and the rainy season is only 6 months away.

I don't think the Thais will be too worried by the stench of rotting and decaying garbage, it never seems to bother them eating that shit Pla Rah - they tend to worry more about the smell of fresh paint and a truck spewing Diesel - three months of festering shit probably smells quite appetizing!

I don't think the Thais will be too worried by the stench of rotting and decaying garbage, it never seems to bother them eating that shit Pla Rah - they tend to worry more about the smell of fresh paint and a truck spewing Diesel - three months of festering shit probably smells quite appetizing!

what a miserable piece of shit u are......

:thumbsup::clap2:

:thumbsup::clap2:

clap2.gif

Actually, quite spot-on.

Still, the situation is nothing compared to what happened in the Philippines not too long ago. The flash flood came and killed -- bodies were everywhere and later all decaying under mounds of mud, towns reeked of the dead for well over a month. Wasn't there myself, but that's how my bro (who was there at the time) described it.

So count your blessings.