No Recession In Bangkok Seemingly

barrybike

hi i wont go on too long on recession in europe and nearly every where else as u all know about it ...yesterday a guy living next door to my house in seri thai area sold his house ...as he is moving back down south to work ...the price he got nearly doubled what i paid for mine in 2009....it seems any village housing area that didnt get flooded will rise in value .....no recession there ..my home counrty ireland houses are down 60 % now what they were getting in 2007 boom years .....anyway im not planning on selling or anything ..just glad the house didnt get flooded and this seems like a nice increse in value for a change...cheers

• 4 weeks later...

About 20 years ago in hawaii my neighbor sold her condo for double, and I didn't. The next year a hurricanne knocked the prices back down where they stayed for another 8 years or so.

I wouldn't be so attached to things these days. Although maybe your home shouldn't be thought of in Baht and satang - who can help feeling good when things go your way.

Don't know about house prices (and frankly don't care)

But in my condo building there are a number of condos for rent that are empty for months and months.

My condo was empty for 4 months before I got in,

the one next to me is empty for 5 months

the one on the other side is empty for 3 months

and so on...

So if anyone is thinking of buying a condo as an investment, do your homework...

Actually the condo building I stay in is very nice really, and great value for money.

But still many empty apartments.

Same was at my last condo: nice apartments, 2 years old, nice owners, plenty of parking, quiet, 6 minutes walk to MRT,

but still many empty apartments (about half were empty).

For rent properties, I think the supply is simply much higher than the demand.

And where I come from it's quite the opposite, so it's a local thing, not the same world over.

I'm by no means an expert but I'm wondering if the false rental market around Sukhumvit that has been largely driven by Japanese money will have a post flood hangover.......

We talked about a post flood sale of our house in a nice Sansiri MooBaan at Bangna....not flooded, big pumps underground etc etc.....but if I drive up to the main gate I can see that at least 10 other people have had the same idea by the number of for sale signs that have sprung up in the last month.........