Road Rage In Thailand

thequietman

Would this not be appropriate in the motoring section?

Btw, one of the lessons at my Thai driving school was not to provoke road rage.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

So there are driving schools in Thailand!! I would never have guessed. Never in 7 years here have I seen a car with 'L' plates or car with Diving School signs.

I have been looking out for a driving school for my Mrs to learn to drive but have never seen one. No way am I going to teach her as she has no idea of road sense.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So there are driving schools in Thailand!! I would never have guessed. Never in 7 years here have I seen a car with 'L' plates or car with Diving School signs.

I have been looking out for a driving school for my Mrs to learn to drive but have never seen one. No way am I going to teach her as she has no idea of road sense.

there is one not far from us[korat] but what they teach is hmmmmmmmmmm.or ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

They dont have L signs, just some thai advertisement sprayed on the sides. So for someone who cant read thai it would be hard to recognise. Most of the teaching is not on the road but on a kind of parkinglot to learn how it works at the exam.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

In the United States, well, everyone pretty much has a gun and when I am driving throughout the streets of Southern California, I am mindful that other people may have guns. Freeway shootings are fairly commonplace. I think about whether or not to effectuate "the bird". The mathematical equation is:

This annoys the hell out of me. First, fewer than 1/2 of all adult US citizens own guns. Second, your chances of getting a permit to carry a firearm in Southern California are less than winning the lottery. They just don't issue them except to a special few such as off duty law enforcement. So, anyone who has a gun is already a criminal. That's right. "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." How is that different for Thailand? You basically said that in Thailand the bad guys have guns but the good guys don't. How's that a good deal?

Where I live, permits are issued, but the training required and the in-depth background check eliminates all but the upstanding citizens. So now if a criminal has a gun I can protect myself and those around me. How is that worse than Thailand? I think it's better.

I was recently getting a haircut. I had to take my jacket off and the hairdresser noticed my gun. Carrying is not the norm in the US so she commented casually. I told her that the safest place she could be in that shopping center was right there with me. I told her that if some criminal decided to come in and start robbing and shooting, to just duck down behind me and I'd handle it. She said "You'd do that for me?" LOL. I told her "No, I'd be doing it for me but you would benefit."

Crimes are very rarely committed by the good and honest people, even if they get angry. In fact, a license to carry will cause you to avoid trouble like you never have before because now a conflict would be incredibly serious. You will walk away from things you never would have before and be more polite than ever in your life.

Wherever you go, crimes are committed by criminals and I'll go to my grave wondering why anyone questions my right to be prepared to save my life or the life of another if the need arises.

Your blazing away with your gun and so does the criminal and you miss and hitva bystander. Its not easy to hit a moving target with a gun. Id hate to get near a firefight and get hit by some cowboy shooting it out.

You've been watching too many John Wayne films, so you have. You don't need a gun to herd cattle; soap operas will stand you in better stead, or tabloid magazines. Anything to keep them calm - guns just panic them.

Another useful tip, that you won't get from the movies - when you're dog sledding, make sure you're holding the reins before you shout "mush!". And in a similar vein, make sure you and the dogs (or taxi driver, as appropriate) are both agreed on where you are going, and that you both know the route equally important whether you are driving yourself or in a taxi...

SC

Yesterday evening, driving along 3rd road in Pattaya towards the junction with Pattaya Klaang.

2 Rows of cars; one for going straight on and one for turning right.

Lights get green and the traffic starts moving slowly...........too slow for Pegas minivan number 24..........he passed the row of slowmoving cars, driving against the traffic in opposite direction and NOT to turn right......no......this action was just to get first in line to go straight on..........

The traffic lights turn red before he reaches the junction and we happen to stand side by side.......my on the right turning que and PEGAS NUMBER 24 for the going straight on que.

A use my horn to get his attention and open my left front window......he opened his window and I asked him if he was all right.........nobody hurt?

He gave me a real freakin' big mouth, but before he could end his story I closed my window.............

another example of freakin' minivan drivers.

In the United States, well, everyone pretty much has a gun and when I am driving throughout the streets of Southern California, I am mindful that other people may have guns. Freeway shootings are fairly commonplace. I think about whether or not to effectuate "the bird". The mathematical equation is:

This annoys the hell out of me. First, fewer than 1/2 of all adult US citizens own guns. Second, your chances of getting a permit to carry a firearm in Southern California are less than winning the lottery. They just don't issue them except to a special few such as off duty law enforcement. So, anyone who has a gun is already a criminal. That's right. "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." How is that different for Thailand? You basically said that in Thailand the bad guys have guns but the good guys don't. How's that a good deal?

Where I live, permits are issued, but the training required and the in-depth background check eliminates all but the upstanding citizens. So now if a criminal has a gun I can protect myself and those around me. How is that worse than Thailand? I think it's better.

I was recently getting a haircut. I had to take my jacket off and the hairdresser noticed my gun. Carrying is not the norm in the US so she commented casually. I told her that the safest place she could be in that shopping center was right there with me. I told her that if some criminal decided to come in and start robbing and shooting, to just duck down behind me and I'd handle it. She said "You'd do that for me?" LOL. I told her "No, I'd be doing it for me but you would benefit."

Crimes are very rarely committed by the good and honest people, even if they get angry. In fact, a license to carry will cause you to avoid trouble like you never have before because now a conflict would be incredibly serious. You will walk away from things you never would have before and be more polite than ever in your life.

Wherever you go, crimes are committed by criminals and I'll go to my grave wondering why anyone questions my right to be prepared to save my life or the life of another if the need arises.

Your blazing away with your gun and so does the criminal and you miss and hitva bystander. Its not easy to hit a moving target with a gun. Id hate to get near a firefight and get hit by some cowboy shooting it out.

You've been watching too many John Wayne films, so you have. You don't need a gun to herd cattle; soap operas will stand you in better stead, or tabloid magazines. Anything to keep them calm - guns just panic them.

Another useful tip, that you won't get from the movies - when you're dog sledding, make sure you're holding the reins before you shout "mush!". And in a similar vein, make sure you and the dogs (or taxi driver, as appropriate) are both agreed on where you are going, and that you both know the route equally important whether you are driving yourself or in a taxi...

SC

I'm not a cowboy. My first wife's brother was a cowboy in Texas; boots and all. He always carried a gun. He had a big ranch he said he used the gun to shoot rattlesnakes as the cows didn't like rattlesnakes. Although it may have been he didn't like rattlesnakes. He also shot his wife's boyfriend and a dog. Single action Colt 45; very dependable weapon. The only reason I mention it is because there are a lot of snakes, dogs and boyfriends in Thailand too. He shot the dog because of road rage. He was on a motorcycle and the dog ran out in front of him causing an accident. The dog got hurt and my brother in law was also hurt. The dog may have recovered but my brother in law was worried the dog might cause other accidents, and I think quite angry because his bike was broken pretty badly, so he shot the dog. When he shot his wife's boyfriend it had nothing to do with road rage, the guy did have a truck but was not driving it when my brother in law came home early one evening to find his wife and another man on the sofa. He didn't shoot his wife though.

• Like 1

SC

I an sure you are right, bot cowboy is also used to dedcribe trigger happy people.

That might not be justified but its still a normal expression.

I dont like guns outside a shooting range and firefights will often hit innocent people. So i prefer that not many people own them.

Even with driving schools I doubt there would be much improvement with driving skills or compliance with traffic laws. The locals simply don't care and, to be honest, most foreigners quickly adopt local ways :(

Better just to have strict gun laws and stop people having a chance to shoot people. People can be sane one day and develop mental issues later on so why arm them.

There is a problem though because how are people going to feel macho and brag to their hairdresser if they can't carry a gun?.

Dude, why are you complaining about what I said?!?!

If you read virtually any other topic on Thaivisa you'd see that I'm the NRA supporting, gun toting Thaivisa pro-gun lobby.

pic of my Kalashnikov sporting rifle from a previous TV discussion regarding my thoughts on gun control.

Ak47GunControlOpinion.jpg

I've been shooting since I was 12 years old. I've NEVER said anything anti-gun.

I don't think there is a week goes by when I do not see a fatal road accident or one causing serious injuries here in Thailand. Most weeks I see multiple such accidents.

Most Thais do not drive like total tw@s, most drive reasonable well - but like everything else here in Thailand nobody gives a flyingfack about the selfish tw@s who drive like lunatics or behave violently when confronted.

But of course here on TV it is the fault of the person making the observation of Tw@ish driving, not the tw@ driver.

I take a slightly different view - Thais driving like lunatics, Thais getting out of cars and shooting each other - I don't care - I do my best to stay clear of these lunatics and if the Thai people want to carry on killing each other on the road the way they seemingly are happy to do so - So be it.

Tw@s are easy to spot on the road - easier still to avoid.

Just take your foot off the gas and let them go up the road to the accident that awaits them.

And yet, almost all the 'poor Thais' I know have guns (varies from S&W .357 to AK47), those without guns have machetes.

If you had done your stint in the Thai army, you would realise how easy it was to take a gun home, totally free.

Swiping a .357 or an AK from the army? Really? hmmm...well, no military (including Thailand) uses a .357 as an issued military sidearm. It's never been used as an issued military sidearm. The .357 was developed for civilian police purposes who wanted more stopping power than the .38 special. The AK was never issued as a Thai military rifle. Thailand is an m-16 country (and now I guess they're switching to that goofball Israeli IMI Tavor TAR-21 bullpup rifle).

Yesterday evening, driving along 3rd road in Pattaya towards the junction with Pattaya Klaang.

2 Rows of cars; one for going straight on and one for turning right.

Lights get green and the traffic starts moving slowly...........too slow for Pegas minivan number 24..........he passed the row of slowmoving cars, driving against the traffic in opposite direction and NOT to turn right......no......this action was just to get first in line to go straight on..........

The traffic lights turn red before he reaches the junction and we happen to stand side by side.......my on the right turning que and PEGAS NUMBER 24 for the going straight on que.

A use my horn to get his attention and open my left front window......he opened his window and I asked him if he was all right.........nobody hurt?

He gave me a real freakin' big mouth, but before he could end his story I closed my window.............

another example of freakin' minivan drivers.

you should be careful being mouthy to them as one time you do it they might wind down window and show a gun.

I don't think there is a week goes by when I do not see a fatal road accident or one causing serious injuries here in Thailand. Most weeks I see multiple such accidents.

Most Thais do not drive like total tw@s, most drive reasonable well - but like everything else here in Thailand nobody gives a flyingfack about the selfish tw@s who drive like lunatics or behave violently when confronted.

But of course here on TV it is the fault of the person making the observation of Tw@ish driving, not the tw@ driver.

I take a slightly different view - Thais driving like lunatics, Thais getting out of cars and shooting each other - I don't care - I do my best to stay clear of these lunatics and if the Thai people want to carry on killing each other on the road the way they seemingly are happy to do so - So be it.

Just take your foot off the gas and let them go up the road to the accident that awaits them.

I agree with your sentiments here GH.

What you cannot control though are the drivers drifting across the wrong side of the road on corner, a surprise T-boning, or an unpredictable drunk driver in a head on.

• Like 1

With the innocent party that they kill...awesome attitude.

Well said. I am a red head with the well known red head's temper. I have a short fuse, but I have trained myself to not react when dealing with idiots. There are a lot of idiots in this world and I can't change them, so I have to ignore them, even if they get in my face. You couldn't supply me with enough bullets to shoot all the idiots out there, so why bother? Nobody can really insult me because i don't do anything intentionally wrong. If someone is an asshol_e then that is their problem, not mine. Driving or riding in Thai traffic is always an adventure. I've learned to expect the unexpected and just try to avoid any confrontation, even if the other person is totally at fault. A day doesn't go by that I don't see some lunatic on a motorbike, or driving a vehicle. I consciously try not to let it bother me and just accept it as a part of Thai life.

Sorry about bumping an old thread up but im still vexed about an incident that happened yesterday evening

I'm driving along carefully at about 80kmh up north on the main highway with my wife and children in the car and this motorbike/scooter with no lights on and 3 teenage boys on rides straight into my path from nowhere! <deleted>!

I take avasive action to avoid massive carnage succesfully, although it was touch and go for a few seconds.

I stop my car to make sure my family is o.k, then get out to see the youths laughing and drinking a bit further down the road at some shop/shack. I start to walk over shaking, fighting the urge to knock the rider out with the adrenelan pumping .

My wife stops me saying if i'd hit them i would have to pay Xbaht and go to jail etc

So the fact that they sit there drinking/laughing afer nearly killing my family is of no consequence, they will not learn or be punished?

I personally think it was a game of dare or maybe stupid ignorance.

Rant over.

never thought it was possible to lose a car vs motorbike battle. your driving must really suck.

• Like 1

what about when you are driving in the middle lane doing 95 and a tourists bus comes up behind you or a large truck and gets up your arse and flashing lights for you to move out of the way . they can easy move around in the right lane and overtake. you cant do nothing because you might end up being shot , and if you are a farang then it will always be your fault ...DON'T YOU JUST GET SICK OF THAIS BEING RIGHT ALL THE BLOODY TIME .

I have always said to my wife if we have an accident quickly get into the drivers seat , as it will be a different outcome if they knew a farang was driving ,..I do have a thai license but still would not risk it .

Edited by metisdead
: Bold font removed.

Maybe they just need to embarass the idiots on the road like they tried in australia,speeding compensates for having a small dick campaign

I dont speed.

Would speeding make up for it? So if I get a faster car I need never be embarrassed again?

Tops!

SC

I dont like guns outside a shooting range and firefights will often hit innocent people. So i prefer that not many people own them.

Of course you'd prefer. Now just tell that to the criminals. It's the criminals who hit innocent people. If someone comes up with a gun and starts shooting at you, I'm so happy to learn that you'd rather be defenseless and stand there and die for "the cause."

"Firefights" don't often happen. The presence of a gun changes the perps attitude real fast. After all, he didn't plan to die when he pulled his gun. And I'd like some statistics on "often hit innocent people" as opposed to good people being saved. Actually both are extremely rare.

I carry credit cards, a spare tire, and a gun in case I need them. Who am I, some wild eyed guy who would hit every bystander in sight instead of my target?

Go ahead and die for your cause. Someday you may need to.

A much better way to piss off tailgaters is to slow down and then when they try to undertake you ( with no signal to tell you this) you give a signal and doubly piss them off as you move into the lane they want to undertake in, its even more sttisfying if they then get stuck behind you as all other traffic now passes freely in the outside lane.

This involves no finger waving or anything and is nicely effective at winding them up.

There is one universal technique for tailgating that works the world over, even in Dubai where they make the Thais look like grandparents driving a 30's Buick. When being tailgated gently take your foot off the gas, flick on your hazard lights do a couple of quick left and right tugs on the steering wheel. Then watch them swerve into the next lane almost immediately. Requires no sudden braking on your part and they dont even know you have done it to deliberately wind them up. Works every time.

laugh.png love this one!!!

A much better way to piss off tailgaters is to slow down and then when they try to undertake you ( with no signal to tell you this) you give a signal and doubly piss them off as you move into the lane they want to undertake in, its even more sttisfying if they then get stuck behind you as all other traffic now passes freely in the outside lane.

This involves no finger waving or anything and is nicely effective at winding them up.

There is one universal technique for tailgating that works the world over, even in Dubai where they make the Thais look like grandparents driving a 30's Buick. When being tailgated gently take your foot off the gas, flick on your hazard lights do a couple of quick left and right tugs on the steering wheel. Then watch them swerve into the next lane almost immediately. Requires no sudden braking on your part and they dont even know you have done it to deliberately wind them up. Works every time.

laugh.png love this one!!!

I'm not sure that would work while riding a scooter and they were in a truck.