Bangkok Airways: Does This Sound Dodgey?

wellred

Ok so to give you some background info I have a return flight from Bangkok to Samui in a few weeks booked. I emailed them to see if there was any space on the flight left for someone who wants to come with me. I could have booked them a separate flight but would have had to pay cash when i got there as the cardholder needs to be on the flight.

Anyway they said their was space on my flight and made a reservation for her. On top of this I changed my flight to one way only as I'm going to Ubon after but will go via Surat Thani so asked them if any refund would be forthcoming.

They said they have processed a refund for around half the amount and made the extra booking for my guest.

In terms of the extra payment I was expecting to be sent some sort of secure link from which to pay. Instead they have asked me to provide them with my card number details in 2 mails, the first consisting of the card type, first 8 digits of the card number and expiry date and the 2nd consisting of the last 8 digits of the card number and 3 digit card security code on the back.

I'm a little apprehensive about this. What do you all think? Anyone been through anything similar with them before?

Thanks

I booked flights with them to samui last month and had to cancel them. I emailed them and they refunded the money straight into my account. Less a fee of course.

Sounds a bit odd. I'd send them another email if it was me.

Use [email protected]

Alternatively you could arrange to pay the difference at their desk in the airport.

Edited by smokie36

Thats the address the mail came from so it looks all legit. Do you think they will let me keep the reservation and just pay it in person when I arrive? If so then that would be my preference. Will see what other responses pop up here.

Cheers

Bangkok Airways is definitely dodgy - but usually in the commercial sense.

However - their security of data and how they treat confidential information is definitley suspect. Naive in the least.

My neighbour was in the Bangkok Airways ticket office trying to get an over-charge refunded when he looked at the screen and saw ALL of his credit card details on the screen. Avaiable for all ticketing staff (and their friends?) to see. No encryption, no xxxx and so on. Just plain numbers.

When I made a booking in March using the credit card to pay Bangkok Airways and Jetstar - the card was hacked and maxed out within a few days of the bookings.

Could be coincidence. I am sure that there are thousands of people who have had no problems with them.

However - their security of data and how they treat confidential information is definitley suspect. Naive in the least.

My neighbour was in the Bangkok Airways ticket office trying to get an over-charge refunded when he looked at the screen and saw ALL of his credit card details on the screen. Avaiable for all ticketing staff (and their friends?) to see. No encryption, no xxxx and so on. Just plain numbers.

When I made a booking in March using the credit card to pay Bangkok Airways and Jetstar - the card was hacked and maxed out within a few days of the bookings.

Could be coincidence. I am sure that there are thousands of people who have had no problems with them.

same with most things here, not dodgy, just stupid !

i have had BKK air email me there card holders details by mistake.... only use a card on a secure link, not over email, or they might email me your details and i can put that down payment on your cc for me new merc :jap:

same with most things here, not dodgy, just stupid !

i have had BKK air email me there card holders details by mistake.... only use a card on a secure link, not over email, or they might email me your details and i can put that down payment on your cc for me new merc :jap:

Vroom! biggrin.gif

I have a a flight booked with Air Asia from Udon Thani in late January. I plan to then get a flight to Samui with Bangkok Airways the same day. There are quite a few flights each day to Samui and I can book one with not too long a layover. I'm a bit concerned about what may happen if my flight from Udon Thani is delayed though and I miss the connection. Does anyone know what Bangkok Airways policy is in these situations ? Will they fly me on the next available flight with space ? Do they make a big charge ?

They seem to have a number of different types of tickets which appear to give extra flexibility. Trying to decipher what that extra flexibility is from their website is nigh on impossible though. Anybody any pointers ?

Thats the address the mail came from so it looks all legit. Do you think they will let me keep the reservation and just pay it in person when I arrive? If so then that would be my preference. Will see what other responses pop up here.

Cheers

You can call them and you read your card details out over the phone. Old technology but safe. Its much faster than sending emails and waiting for a reply. Three minutes of questions and answers on the phone is the equivalent of a weeks worth of emails back and forth.