The Most Desirable Sport Bike Of 2012

visions

Ducati's flagship 1199 Panigale: the full story

By Loz Blain

15:25 November 23, 2011 

A formula one car, at 640 kg (1,411 lbs) and about 800 horsepower, has a power-to-weight ratio around 1.25 horsepower per kilogram (2.2 lbs). The new 1199 Panigale, with 195 horsepower and 164 kg (361.5 lbs), has a ratio of 1.19 horsepower per kilogram. Granted, that figure changes significantly if you add my porky badonkadonk and a full tank to the equation ... but regardless, this roaring L-twin beast is not only the new power-to-weight champion of the production motorcycle world, it's a ground-up reinvention of the Ducati superbike that has reportedly been in development since the venerable 1098 first hit showroom floors in 2007.

Read more: www.gizmag.com/author/loz-blain/

Edited by Maestro
Quoted text redued to comply with "fair use"

Throw in a couple of pot holes, tuk tuk, soi dog, scooter with no lites, cockeyed parked pickup. and a few predestrians and see who gets checkmate

Bah, quit yer whinging; there are plenty of FANTASTIC mc roads in Thailand that are completely devoid of any of the hazards you've listed above.

Just one example of many-

Potholes? None

Tuk Tuks? None

Scooters with no lights? None

Cockeyed parked pickup? None

Pedestrians? None

Fantastic sport bike road? You betcha! B)

• Like 1

But is it like most of the Italian stuff, ride or drive for 1 day put in shop for 10 days.

It's true that in the past Ducati had a rather poor reputation for durability and short service cycles, but to their credit in recent years they've been cranking out much more reliable bikes with much longer service intervals.

ducatiposter.jpg

Fun to tease but if you know anything about modern Ducati's you'll have to realize that they've come a long long way!

• Like 1

Good stuff there you guys took the bate hehehe, I know Ducati has improved a lot. While back in the states visiting son a fella came over on a retro looking model cannot remember the name but it was one good looking bike and he was very happy with it. They stopped building this model one or two years ago.

Keep riding those bikes boys and be safe

• 2 months later...

Why is it that Ducati can make a twin cylinder engine that doesn't sound like crap and Kawasaki can't?

Did I say that out loud? I meant, the Ninja 650 is sure a good bike for Thailand.

You forgot to mention 'at 4 times the price'

Throw in a couple of pot holes, tuk tuk, soi dog, scooter with no lites, cockeyed parked pickup. and a few predestrians and see who gets checkmate

Exactly!

Where is the laughter button when you need it?

I thought I heard an echo. Wow, I never realized pot holes, crappy roads et al only effected Ducati's. Next bright spark statement if you will...

IMO this proves that Stoner is the better rider being able to adapt to any bike and to learn how to control it.

Either that or he's just more psycho.ph34r.gif

Dear oh dear....heart ruling your head is it !!!

Ducati do make one hell of a bike but MV's are a class above IMO

Edited by Rickster