Koh Chang

loveulongtime

Hi, will be in pattaya next week for some golf..

Want to then head down the coast, might stop at Ko samet for 2 nights... then head to Koh Chang..

I will have a lady with me, want to stay somewhere nice in koh chang, last time I was there was over 10 years ago,... im sure it has changed.

Want to stay in a quiet area.. nice beach and accomodation..

Any suggestions please... thanks.

Beter to go straight past Whitesand beach and try Klong Prau (next beach along) Whitesand has had a huge amount of building work in the last couple of years can certainly not be described as quiet. Klong Prau resort or Paradise resort both good.

Was in White Sands a couple of weeks ago, the hotels were certainly not quiet but as I don't speak Russian I could not say what they were talking about. The beer bars were probably the quietest places to hang out, no punters at all. Personal recommendation of mine for somewhere quiet, charming and different is Baan Rim Nam in Khlong Prao, really a relaxing place, but be sure to book ahead.

Was in White Sands a couple of weeks ago, the hotels were certainly not quiet but as I don't speak Russian I could not say what they were talking about. The beer bars were probably the quietest places to hang out, no punters at all. Personal recommendation of mine for somewhere quiet, charming and different is Baan Rim Nam in Khlong Prao, really a relaxing place, but be sure to book ahead.

I second that Ian is a real nice guy or google, iamkohchang. If he has no vacant rooms i am sure listening to your requirements he will point you in the most suitable direction.

Koh Chang Paradise Resort is the way to go there, around 2k per night and  if you can take the pool villa at 5k, it's definitely worth the money. <br>Indeed Koh Chang is crowded by Russians, but I am not bothered.<br>Road conditions are not always very good, as the attached picture shows, this was on the way to the navy battle memorial site<br>

post-62258-0-18208700-1322189716_thumb.j

Koh Chang Paradise Resort is the way to go there, around 2k per night and  if you can take the pool villa at 5k, it's definitely worth the money. <br>Indeed Koh Chang is crowded by Russians, but I am not bothered.<br>Road conditions are not always very good, as the attached picture shows, this was on the way to the navy battle memorial site<br>

WOW - that's a big pot hole....

JH

I was last in Koh Chang about 2 months ago and was delighted to see that there are still no MacDonalds, Starbucks, KFC, traffic lights etc. How long will this happy situation continue I wonder?

Maybe that's because of the big pothole on the way to white sands beach the main island resort. I once crashed my bike on that stretch and it was very painful . Last time i crashed a bike was on Santorini, (Greece in 98) the steering went and over 800meters below ooch.

KOHCHANG is OK there as well as most of Thailand are doing there best to make a living, being normal, not flush with cash and feel like i need to postulate my importance.

The only time I,ve been to Koh Chang was in 1995.

Only just a short stretch of completed road at white sand beach.

No disco's, karaoke. Everything closed before 10pm.

Small hut = 60 baht right in front of the sea.

It really was paradise, stayed there for a month in fact.

The only time I,ve been to Koh Chang was in 1995.

Only just a short stretch of completed road at white sand beach.

No disco's, karaoke. Everything closed before 10pm.

Small hut = 60 baht right in front of the sea.

It really was paradise, stayed there for a month in fact.

Sounds like paradise. It has really changed since then...and not for the better. First time I went was in 2002. Went back 2 years ago and not sure I really want to return. The buildup is amazing. New buildings everywhere. Paradise lost for sure. :(

Sad to hear that mate.

I was fancying a return as my wife has never been, I guess a lot can change in 15 years. Perhaps I,m better letting the memory of that hut next to the sea remain as it is?

My friend Roy ( R.I.P.) from Kiveton Park , UK used to go to Koh Chang around 1990, he said he went nude on the beach as there were so few people about.

Not that going nude on beaches drew me to the place in the first place :whistling:

It is (was) certainly a spectacular place though.

It maybe wise to go further than Koh Chang itself, there are quite a few smaller islands beyond. Two nights ain't long enough for the effort though.

Sad to hear that mate.

I was fancying a return as my wife has never been, I guess a lot can change in 15 years. Perhaps I,m better letting the memory of that hut next to the sea remain as it is?

My friend Roy ( R.I.P.) from Kiveton Park , UK used to go to Koh Chang around 1990, he said he went nude on the beach as there were so few people about.

Not that going nude on beaches drew me to the place in the first place :whistling:

It is (was) certainly a spectacular place though.

It maybe wise to go further than Koh Chang itself, there are quite a few smaller islands beyond. Two nights ain't long enough for the effort though.

I went there the last trip because wifey had never seen KC either. She was fairly happy, I was disappointed. My old beach hut, formerly accessible only by foot, is now air con'd and has cable TV. Shops encroach on the roads and in some places you have to walk on the road as a pedestrian. Not safe. Small bars are everywhere.

With that being said, it's still a nice place to visit...but nothing like it use to be.

I haven't been back to Samet in years. I'm guessing the same has happened there.

And yes, I've heard those small islands off the coast of KC are suppose to be really nice. Will have to make a trip there someday!

I will never again return to Ko Chang after my last trip about 3 years ago. White Sand Beach was disgusting and the over-development of the island was just as many on forums have described, this plus the locals were irritable and unfriendly. And from what I here now it has gotten much worse.

The worst part was getting off the ferry and then being treated like dogs by the local Songtheaw mafia drivers. These guys were complete &lt;deleted&gt; whom wouldn't depart from the ferry area until the trucks were dangerously overloaded and, of course, completely over charged everyone for the 5 kilometer ride to White Sand Beach. All while it was pelting down rain; you talk feeling helpless and being at the mercy of total psychopaths...... well this sucked and I will never forget it. Nothing like spending the better part of the day on a bus and ferry then being thrown to the wolfs upon your arrival in paradise.

Koh Chang is a beautiful place to go. Nothing is the same as it was 15 years ago. I too like Klong Phrao as well as Had Kai Bae. Forget Had Sai Khao (White Sands) it is too congested and the beach is dirty. The Russian tourists are everywhere on the island. Hard to avoid them.

I will never again return to Ko Chang after my last trip about 3 years ago. White Sand Beach was disgusting and the over-development of the island was just as many on forums have described, this plus the locals were irritable and unfriendly. And from what I here now it has gotten much worse.

The worst part was getting off the ferry and then being treated like dogs by the local Songtheaw mafia drivers. These guys were complete &lt;deleted&gt; whom wouldn't depart from the ferry area until the trucks were dangerously overloaded and, of course, completely over charged everyone for the 5 kilometer ride to White Sand Beach. All while it was pelting down rain; you talk feeling helpless and being at the mercy of total psychopaths...... well this sucked and I will never forget it. Nothing like spending the better part of the day on a bus and ferry then being thrown to the wolfs upon your arrival in paradise.

I have to laugh at all the complaints about sawngthaews. Who cares? I was there for about 10 days and never took a sawngthaew once. You can walk and ride motorcycles and everywhere you stay will happily give you a lift to where you need to go.

Koh Chang is great. I love it there.

Craig, the 60 baht a night hut I stayed in for a month had nothing but a rough matress.

Not even a light. Only the sound of the waves splashing a few metres away on white sand beach.

How times change and to think how simple ( happy ) it was.

I,m sounding old aren't I (46 years old)?

Went to Koh Chang the first time in 2004 and is more developed than back then.

Now I like Lonely beach, just drive past the view point for 'koh man noi' and carry on until you find the fake 7/11. To me it seems less commercial than how white sands beach is now but still a few options of where to stay, and a bit of nightlife.

Can't remember where I stayed, just drove round a few places and took a pretty nice one for about 1,400 baht per night. There were a few cheaper options that looked OK if required, as well as some more high end.

There is a nice Mexican restaurant run by a French guy and a Mexican girl next to BB divers that I recommend.

cheers