South Hit By Storms, Mudslides, Deluge: Thailand

webfact

SOUTHERN FLOOD

South hit by storms, mudslides, deluge

The Nation

30170602-01_big.jpg

Three-metre tidal waves yesterday swept through 3 kilometres of the beachfront Tha Sala district in Nakhon Si Thammarat, damaging 40 homes and shops as well as prompting hectic evacuation efforts.

The waves, blown inland by a seasonal but premature monsoon, also threatened to capsize 300 fishing trawlers anchored nearby, forcing crew members to hurriedly push them ashore.

The storm, which lasted for an hour, brought with it waves that crashed barely 50 metres away from the main road.

A large number of cracks and sinkholes, with the largest being 2rai wide and 60 metres deep, were created in Chawang district. Sinkholes and cracks around 20rai of land near an old mine swallowed up rubber trees and other vegetation.

Residents in the area are staying indoors and rubber farmers have stopped working for fear of their lives.

In addition to flash floods in Phatthalung and Narathiwat on Wednesday, four districts in Surat Thani and Hat Yai in Songkhla started getting inundated yesterday after days of heavy rain.

There was also a mudslide and a storm in Surat Thani's Chaiya district, which damaged three homes and destroyed one, though all the occupants got away unscathed.

So far, 26 villages in five tambons have been affected by mudslides brought on by the storm, though authorities are working on draining water out of the inundated areas, Surat Thani governor Theerayuth Iamtrakool said.

Residents in several areas in Hat Yai were told to evacuate after their homes were hit by flash floods caused by a brimming river in tambon Phatong.

All of Saba Yoi district in Songkhla was flooded, though the Laebaeng village was the worst hit, with all residents having to be evacuated to a makeshift shelter at the Saba Yoi School. In addition, 30 families in Saba Yoi tambon have been evacuated to safer places and at least two schools in the district closed temporarily.

So far, a 3yearold boy has been killed in the district from flooding, making him the first fatality in the South since floods hit the region this week. Rapidly flowing flood waters swept Natthadanai Ratthaphong away from his mother's arms as his family was trying to escape in a pickup truck.

Songkhla Governor Winyoo Thongsakul said he was planning to declare the Saba Yoi, Khuan Niang and Singha Nakhon districts as disaster zones.

In Narathiwat province, 121 people have been evacuated from their homes along the banks of the swelling Sungai Kolok River in three tambons in Muang district, while six other communities have been advised to get ready to move.

A storm damaged 100 homes in Muang municipality and eight communities have been inundated, authorities said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-25

It's a sad situation there. My girlfriend comes from the south and they have to put up with these floods every year. They do this without constantly bitching and fighting about it, they just get on with it. Bangkok floods once in fifty years and everything goes tits up. The people in Bangkok and the government by the way could learn a lot about their own selfish nature by observing the southern people!

For my Sister in law in Hat Yai, it's an annual event. She puts a mark on the wall where it reaches. At her old place, my step daughter climbed out of the 1st floor window to swim to a nearby hotel. That was several years back. We are about a metre up on last year.

I for one am getting sick of the complaints, moaning, groaning and all-out bitching on this website. If you don't like it here..get the <deleted> out. Offer something that is more conducive to a positive outcome. IF YOU CANNOT OFFER A POSITIVE COMMENT/SOLUTION..SHUT-UP AND GET ON WITH YOUR PATHETIC LIFE! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT IN THAILAND..GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM!

What an original comment...if you dont like it leave....:whistling: did you come up with this all by yourself ?

It's a sad situation there. My girlfriend comes from the south and they have to put up with these floods every year. They do this without constantly bitching and fighting about it, they just get on with it. Bangkok floods once in fifty years and everything goes tits up. The people in Bangkok and the government by the way could learn a lot about their own selfish nature by observing the southern people!

Well not to minimize their plight or anything but the south is not the center of Thailands financial hub and infrastructure (read capital) not to mention small in comparison, there is a rather large difference in the end result and effect to the entire nation.

Well not to minimize their plight or anything but the south is not the center of Thailands financial hub and infrastructure (read capital) not to mention small in comparison, there is a rather large difference in the end result and effect to the entire nation.

Flooded is flooded, i have been flooded too and if it happens again i seriously consider moving to a place where i wont get flooded. If i were to get flooded every year id be sure to move.

Flooded is flooded, i have been flooded too and if it happens again i seriously consider moving to a place where i wont get flooded. If i were to get flooded every year id be sure to move.

It is and I agree I'd be out of there also, one time is more then enough for me and also as a victim of this disaster myself no one is excluding anyone but he himself says they deal with it every year and the water doesn't hang around like what is happening now so there is a rather large difference besides the fact that as I stated the magnitude of flooding in a minimally populated area versus a massively populated capital city really pales in comparison in magnitude..

Edited by WarpSpeed

It is and I agree I'd be out of there also, one time is more then enough for me and also as a victim of this disaster myself no one is excluding anyone but he himself says they deal with it every year and the water doesn't hang around like what is happening now so there is a rather large difference besides the fact that as I stated the magnitude of flooding in a minimally populated area versus a massively populated capital city really pales in comparison in magnitude..

I agree that it pales in magnitude but for the people affected its the same. But your right if it is drained fast then its ok. I have had 1,5 month of flooding here. So i hate it.

To return to the topic at hand.

Yes but in general the Southerners expect squat from their govt, and so don't complain as much when they get squat. You seem to be the only one who thinks they are making a comparison.

The Southern half of Thailand receives massive amounts of rainfall every year, far more than all the other regions. Heavy heavy rains and big waves are par for the course for November. Everyone who has grown in the South or lived there for any length of time knows this. Not sure where people think the locals should move to since the rainfall is everywhere.

And there are trade offs, I'd rather live on the beach than in some Bangkok mooban. ;)

I agree that it pales in magnitude but for the people affected its the same. But your right if it is drained fast then its ok. I have had 1,5 month of flooding here. So i hate it.

I'm feeling ya, we've had a month ourselves but we're not home anymore we have kids to consider and our health and just the psychological effects it has is reason enough to move out. We moved out to higher ground but it's no less a stress everything's out of sorts and additional costs. I've been back a few times spent some days cleaning once it receded out of the house and more every time it drops some and as I arrive for the miles/hours long trek to our house that used to take 10 minutes even in Bangkok traffic to the depressing boat ride I can literally feel my skin tighten up with stress.. I just focus on the clean up and trying to get back to normal which is another reason I am cleaning as quickly as possible it's a catharsis of not letting it break you by washing it away..

Now my next serious concern is the house foundation though, my front drive has cracked and dropped pretty significantly as it is certain the amount of pressure underneath the foundation was immense having forced water up through every orifice and the house is on pilings with a rather large void underneath but sealed on all sides by either concrete or pavement so the pressure had no escape but upwards and it's attached to several others so the combined pressure versus the amount of surface area and building weight being only 2 stories was immense and the footings for the pilings must have been unsettled.

As it settles back in, the likelihood they settle unevenly is very real and could cause severe structural damage so I don't plan on moving back for at least a couple of dry months and after I can make a comprehensive evaluation of it..

You seem to be the only one who thinks they are making a comparison.

;)

I'm unique that way, I often see things that others tend to overlook, it's a special talent really and not developed by most..

Clearly there was a comparison being made though (at least to me) just as you did a couple of times in your post..

Edited by WarpSpeed

To return to the topic at hand.

Yes but in general the Southerners expect squat from their govt, and so don't complain as much when they get squat. You seem to be the only one who thinks they are making a comparison.

The Southern half of Thailand receives massive amounts of rainfall every year, far more than all the other regions. Heavy heavy rains and big waves are par for the course for November. Everyone who has grown in the South or lived there for any length of time knows this. Not sure where people think the locals should move to since the rainfall is everywhere.

And there are trade offs, I'd rather live on the beach than in some Bangkok mooban. ;)

+1 Not forgetting little or no polluted air, and clean water. I like the southerners, even if they are loud. This link gives the year totals to date

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/climate.php