Chiang Mai Balloon Festival

dave2

You didn't miss anything on Friday evening. There was nothing going on. I stopped by Prince Royal's College around 4:30 or 5 o'clock, and there wasn't a balloon or any related activity in sight. Only a few thousand school kids and hundreds of cars trying to navigate their way out of there. Why do they advertise that the balloon event begins on the 25th at PRC? :annoyed:

You didn't miss anything on Friday evening. There was nothing going on. I stopped by Prince Royal's College around 4:30 or 5 o'clock, and there wasn't a balloon or any related activity in sight. Only a few thousand school kids and hundreds of cars trying to navigate their way out of there. Why do they advertise that the balloon event begins on the 25th at PRC? :annoyed:

The balloons take off early in the morning, usually around 7am and they've been doing so for the past two days - in the evening there's some kind of event with music and fireworks although I can't see much more than that. I live in a high rise that overlooks the college and the balloons have been lifting off just a couple of hundred meters from my balcony, a really nice spectacle at that time of the morning, The balloons, about ten in all, seem to be heading for Lamphun although exactly where remains a mystery to me.

From having been a Lighter-Than-Air pilot years ago, I can say with confidence that a balloon ascension is by no means a certain event. Winds and conditions can change at the last moment, sometimes just when you are ready to fly. One of the best ways to experience an event is to volunteer to help crew. Balloonists and crews are usually a pretty strong-partying group as well. If you have never flown in a balloon, it is a wonderful experience, one that you will remember the rest of your life.

Correct. In a balloon, navigation is possible to a degree by taking advantage of different wind directions/speeds at various altitudes. The pilot usually puts up a "pie-ball" (for Pilot Balloon), a small, helium filled balloon just before ascension, to give him an idea of winds and speeds at the different altitudes. You have a limited amount of control, not much. The lucky/skilled pilot will seek out an open area close to an access road in which to land. Most all pilots carry a bottle of champagne with them to give to the landowner whose field they have descended into, to make up for any inconvenience and to celebrate a successful flight.

they were all right there last night when it was starting to get dark!

also, I don't think they are specifically "heading for" Lamphun, that just happens to be where the wind takes them, if I am not mistaken....

So where were they going and please don't say, up to the wind?

Seen some great images from a Thai friend, I went for a ride 18 months ago early morning it was great with the champange brekky afterward, got a certificate and some history of Ballooning. The pilot was a Dutchman will dig the certificate but at 8000 bht it would be pang for some Thai's and my mate said that the money for 4 x 8000 would be better spent elsewhere.