Buddha Boy In Nepal

fxm88

Pilgrims flock to see 'Buddha boy' said to have fasted six months

21-NOV-2005

Thousands of pilgrims are pouring into the dense jungle of southern Nepal to worship a 15-year-old boy who has been hailed as a new Buddha.

Devotees claim that Ram Bomjon, who is silently meditating beneath a tree, has not eaten or drunk anything since he sat down at his chosen spot six months ago.

Witnesses say they have seen light emanating from the teenager's forehead.

While you are right there cv, such a view (as you outline) is also the reason that the Buddha was not a Brahmin, and Jesus not a Jew.

That is to say that when someone comes along who has actually attained to enlightenment, or some spiritual attainment, they are rejected by the mainstream religion.

Thai's never consider that Krishnamurti, Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta etc... could possibly have been enlightened. Does not fit with their idea of an arahant.

The same happened here too - a guy Nick Roach has things worth hearing for Buddhists, but Sabaijai closed the thread down accusing him of being in search of disciples for a new age movement; that it was nothing to do with Buddhism (not complaining Sj).

Practising a certain path everyone gets certain preconceptions, and then as soon as someone comes along who has come from a slightly different angle they are rejected. Of course such rejection is endorsed by the large number of frauds and 'poets' that abound.

Just saying that we should keep an open mind about these things.

Do you think that Maiteryya Buddha, when he comes, will be a Buddhist?

atheism is a non-prophet organisation

:o

I'm far from an athiest. Just don't go for the hocus-pocus part that some sects of buddhism follow. Mysticism is just out of synch with what I consider buddhism's best feature, it's logic.

cv

It's interesting to note that the boy, according to the article, is not claiming to be a Buddha, only a rinpoche.

This graph grabbed my attention:

"Local doctors failed to reach a final conclusion, although they were allowed no closer than five yards from the boy mystic, declaring that they could confirm no more than that he was alive."

Who are the "they" that wouldn't allow the doctors any closer? That fact alone, not to mention the curtain being drawn around the boy (so he could eat?) suggests a possible scam.

This could also be one of the many weird stories coming out of South Asia that turn out to be hoaxes.

Let's wait and see ...

According to the Mahayana teachings not needing food is a function of pure concentration or Tranquil Abidding as it is known to some. Is that a Theravadian teaching as well? With the nine levels of concentration starting with finding the object, known as placement and leading on to Tranquil Abidding where the object is never lost and requires no effort to hold on to it.

If only.........

I met that guy Teigh in Perth - the one who did not eat for 2 years and about whom there have been a number of miracles. I consider him 'enlightened' in the vein of Nisargadatta/Ramana maharsi/ Papaji ....

H e had an interesting take on it. He said he could do nothing at all in the world, even walk. Everything that happens happens on its own. He claimed that no one needs to eat in fact, only take a little water. He said it was fear and hunger that makes people die of not eating. He also warned, 'don't try this at home' .Don't know why, but apparently he is back to eating again.

It's interesting to note that the boy, according to the article, is not claiming to be a Buddha, only a rinpoche.

"Local doctors failed to reach a final conclusion, although they were allowed no closer than five yards from the boy mystic, declaring that they could confirm no more than that he was alive."

Who are the "they" that wouldn't allow the doctors any closer? That fact alone, not to mention the curtain being drawn around the boy (so he could eat?) suggests a possible scam.

This could also be one of the many weird stories coming out of South Asia that turn out to be hoaxes.

Let's wait and see ...

Obviously bad reporting in this article. A Rinpoche is not a level or any type of divinity. It's just a title, a bit like His Eminence or Father in Christianity. I think this is just part of Nepali culture. I first heard about the Kumari or living Goddess when I was there. They seem to be keen on this kind of thing.

http://www.mypage.bluewin.ch/raonline/page...npkumari03.html

Let's wait and see ...

Obviously bad reporting in this article. A Rinpoche is not a level or any type of divinity. It's just a title, a bit like His Eminence or Father in Christianity. I think this is just part of Nepali culture. I first heard about the Kumari or living Goddess when I was there. They seem to be keen on this kind of thing.

If you read the article you'll see the boy refers to himself as 'rinpoche', and doesn't define it. It's Tibetan in language and custom, not Nepali.

from Wikipedia: "Rinpoche means 'Precious One' & is given to all incarnate lamas [Tulku],(ones who have actively chosen their rebirth, as opposed to the rest of us who follow our karma to our rebirths). These days it is widely abused and used as a title of respect, (often self-appointed...)."

'Buddha' is itself a title, meaning 'Awakened'.

Let's wait and see ...

If you read the article you'll see the boy refers to himself as 'rinpoche', and doesn't define it. It's Tibetan in language and custom, not Nepali.

from Wikipedia: "Rinpoche means 'Precious One' & is given to all incarnate lamas [Tulku],(ones who have actively chosen their rebirth, as opposed to the rest of us who follow our karma to our rebirths). These days it is widely abused and used as a title of respect, (often self-appointed...)."

'Buddha' is itself a title, meaning 'Awakened'.

I did read the article. That's what I'm commenting on. It says....

After five days it was opened and he spoke. "Tell the people not to call me a Buddha. I don't have the Buddha's energy. I am at the level of rinpoche [lesser divinity].

I presume the brackets with "lesser divinity" in them are the journalists own. I doubt the boy himself added a misdefinition after he spoke. Rinpoche, as Wikipedia correctly states, is an honourific title, nothing to do with divinity or any kind of level. That's the mistake. The Nepalis would know exactly what Rinpoche means too, even though it's Tibetan.

• 3 weeks later...
While you are right there cv, such a view (as you outline) is also the reason that the Buddha was not a Brahmin, and Jesus not a Jew.

That is to say that when someone comes along who has actually attained to enlightenment, or some spiritual attainment, they are rejected by the mainstream religion.

Thai's never consider that Krishnamurti, Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta etc... could possibly have been enlightened. Does not fit with their idea of an arahant.

The same happened here too - a guy Nick Roach has things worth hearing for Buddhists, but Sabaijai closed the thread down accusing him of being in search of disciples for a new age movement; that it was nothing to do with Buddhism (not complaining Sj).

Practising a certain path everyone gets certain preconceptions, and then as soon as someone comes along who has come from a slightly different angle they are rejected. Of course such rejection is endorsed by the large number of frauds and 'poets' that abound.

Just saying that we should keep an open mind about these things.

Do you think that Maiteryya Buddha, when he comes, will be a Buddhist?

:D

I would try to keep an open mind about all these things. The example you speak about in Nepal is almost certainly a fake. For example, the "reicarnated Buddha" in Nepal has handlers who ask the devoted worshipers to pay a "donation" to THEM in order to view him. Every night they erect a screen around him to allow him to "meditate". The handlers are known to cook food and eat inside that screen at night, but of course the "Buddha Boy" doesn't eat or sleep inside the screen according to his handlers word. No one is allowed to look inside the screen because that will disturb the boy's "holy meditation".

But I'm a sceptical westerner, so I can't be trusted, can I?

Question: If a duck quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and lays eggs like a duck; what is it?

Answer: The manifestation of a Buddha nature.

Reason: Does not everything begin with one true word of Buddha?

(If this is not true, how can you speak a false word?)

:o

• 1 month later...

The little Buddha of Bara

e-Kantipur, Jan 27, 2006

Kathmandu, Nepal -- Braving the cold wave in the Terai that has already claimed dozens this winter, Ram Bahadur Bomjon, known as the Buddha Boy, is continuing his meditation wearing just a thin cloth. Eight months have already passed since he began his "deep meditation" but the confusion whether he has really not eaten or drunk anything during this period is still unresolved. It has been claimed that the 16-yr-old has not drunk even a single drop of water since he began his meditation on May 17, last year.

'The biting cold has had no effect whatsoever on him so far," says priest Prem Lama, who is also Bomjon's maternal uncle and the only person having close access to Bomjon, "He, however, looks thinner."

"He had short hair and a muscular physique when he sat under the Banyan tree," says Resham KC, who has been capturing the meditating "Buddha Boy" in his movie camera for the last eight months, "(Now) his hair has grown down to the tip of his nose and his body has thinned."

"Had it not been for a godly power, this biting cold would have already killed the boy," says 72-yr-old Babulal Syangtan who arrived at the meditation site for the seventh time with rations and other daily necessities enough for 100 days.

People from different walks of life started pouring into the meditation site since last October after Bomjon got publicity as the re-incarnation of the Buddha. Millions have visited the site so far. The locals have also formed a committe- the "Om Namobuddha Tapoban Protection Conservation Committee"- headed by one Bed Bahadur Thing for the management of the meditation site in the Bara jungle. Thing says the committee had to be formed for the protection of the meditating boy as he himself said before beginning his mediation that he needed to meditate for six years to reach Buddhahood. "We had to come forward to provide protection as some miscreants tried to disturb him by making noises and poking him with a stick," explains Thing.

A local conundrum

The meditating boy became a headache for the local administration after tens of thousands of people started thronging the meditation site. Security sources say a large portion of the money and other offerings made at the meditation site and the amount collected from selling Bomjon's pictures, CDs and biography goes to the Maoists. "We have received information that 75 percent of this income reaches Maoist hands," claimed a security official on the condition of anonymity, "This is the main reason why the general public is discouraged from visiting the meditation site."

However, Thing, who claims that the committee has not given a single penny to the Maoists, says both the security forces and the Maoists have been asked to accept the meditation area as a zone of peace.

The district administration has not accepted the letter from the locals to register the committee. A joint meeting of the district administration, security bodies and representatives of the committee held at the Zonal Administration Office on November 18, last year, had decided to screen the meditating boy and stop visitors from seeing him. Before this, the District Administration Office of Bara had ordered the committee to furnish its income-expenditure details.

Chief District Officer (CDO) of Bara, Shanta Raj Subedi says the district administration had to take this decision as settlement and business activities are prohibited in the jungle area. CDO Subedi also complains that the committee violated the decision and lifted the screen around Bomjon and also did not furnish the income-expenditure details and the name list of the volunteers working on the meditation site.

Chairman of the committee, Thing, however, explains that he had to remove the screen because of the mounting pressure from the visitors. "We could not keep him (Bomjon) behind the screen after thousands of devotees insisted on its removal," Thing said.

Medical observations

An eight-member team of health workers headed by the district hospital's Medical Superintendent Ram Lakhan Shah had observed the meditating boy for half an hour on November 14, 2005. The medical team that made the observation from a distance of five metres concluded that there was no doubt that Bomjon was alive and suggested that they needed to observe him for at least a week to reach any comprehensive conclusion. During the half hour observation the medical team noticed Bomjon breath three times, swallow his saliva once and move his eyelashes. "Even if he eats at night, it is extraordinary to continuously meditate in the same position for 12 hours a day," Dr Shah said. One reason for Bomjon's ability to meditate for long periods could be due to yoga, he guessed, adding, "He needs to be thoroughly examined since his case has thrown up a challenge to medical science."

A member of the team, Dr Raj Dev Kushwaha said, "Just by examining the glucose level in his blood, it can be easily found out whether he has eaten or not." However, any physical examination of Bomjon is not acceptable to the committee. "We will not allow, at any cost, any examination that involves touching or piercing since it will disturb him," Thing argues.

The district administration on November 16, 2005 had written to the Royal Nepal Academy for Science and Technology (RONAST) and the Lumbini Development Trust (LDT) to carry out Bomjon's medical examinations. Indeed the LDT and the Tribhuvan University Institute of Medicine did carry out an observation at the site. "Perhaps because they too could not come up with a comprehensive report; there was no response," says CDO Subedi.

Two months back, a seven-member team headed by a Rimpoche from Pharping Monastery also observed Bomjon. A highly experienced Yoga practitioner himself with six years of meditation experience, the Rimpoche had said back then that Bomjon could not be taken as a Buddha, adding meditation was nothing extraordinary in Buddhism. "His body must be scientifically examined to know whether he has eaten or not," he said.

Mystery continues

The crowds started flocking into the area after the committee began a special Puja by lighting 100 thousand candles during the last Dashain festival, while claiming that Bomjon had not drunk even a single drop of water after starting his meditation. Thing also claims that the news of Bomjon's "godly power" began to spread after two dumb people started speaking after visiting the meditation site.

Bomjon's mother says that her son has become a god. "He never touched any meat or fish, nor did he drink any alcohol. He was so different from others," she says, "He never fought with anyone and was peaceful by nature."

The hubbub surrounding the meditation site starts seven kilometres away at the Mahendra Highway. Even if the number of pilgrims and observers has thinned out, microbuses have not stopped operating from the highway to the meditation site. Private jeeps, cars and motorcycles still aim north from the highway to the Charkose Jhadee (jungle). The meditation site is seven kilometres inside the Charkose Jhadee, located to the north of the Mahendra Highway, which is a kilometre west of Nijgadh of Bara.

The meditation site has been cordoned off with ropes. The first cordon is 25 metres away from the actual place where Bomjon sits while the second cordon lies 50 metres away. It was only when people watching from beyond the second cordon started doubting that Bomjon was a human being did the committee allow for five people at a time to move to and observe from the first cordon. Each person is only allowed thirty seconds to observe Bomjon.

According to Prem Lama, Ratnapur VDC born Bomjon began studying Buddhism for five years after attending the local primary school till class five. He then spent some time in Lumbini and Dehradun (India), spending one more year studying Buddhism and returned home last January. He began his mediation after spending a further four months studying Buddhism at home.

Buddha Boy II

• 1 month later...

So what was Jesus then - Arab?

There is a certain logic to that. I am reminded of a book published a couple of years ago by a Muslim intellectual. He stated that Mohammed was not a Muslim as a child, because he invented Islam as an adult. This may seem quite logical to many, but caused a furore in certain Islamic nations who considered it a scandalous remark - not only was the book banned, but there were threats against the author. Buddha, as a child could not have been Buddhist, as there was no such thing. Was he Brahmin ? - I don't know, many here are more learned than I on that matter. Was Jesus a Jew ? Not as a child, I think.... when was Judaism "invented" ?

Nepalese Buddha Boy 'reappears'

March 20, BBC

A missing Nepalese teenager popularly known as "Buddha Boy" reappeared briefly on Sunday, his followers say.

The committee managing the meditation site of Ram Bomjan, 16, released video of its members purportedly meeting the boy near his village in southern Nepal.

The boy's meditation and apparent 10-month fast attracted global attention before he vanished in March.

Large numbers of devotees flocked to see him to leave offerings. A massive search operation is still under way.

'Not to worry'

The chairman of the Om Namo Buddha Tapaswi Sewa Samiti (ONBTSS), Bed Bahadur Lama, told reporters that he and his colleagues had met Bomjan about 3km (2 miles) south-west of his meditation site in Bara district on Sunday.

He said Bomjan had spoken to them for half an hour.

"He said he would reappear after six years. He has asked monks to perform prayers in the meditation spot," Mr Lama told reporters.

"I left because there is no peace here... Tell my parents not to worry," Mr Lama quoted Bomjan as saying.

The alleged meeting is the first news of the boy's possible whereabouts since he disappeared on 11 March. District authorities say they cannot confirm the sighting.

Bomjan's followers and security personnel have launched a massive search operation in Ratnapuri forest and surrounding areas but have so far failed to locate him.

Bomjan's followers claim he was an incarnation of Lord Buddha who was born in Nepal more than 2,500 years ago.

His followers say he has been meditating for 10 months without food or water and is immune to fire and snake bites.

But these claims have not been independently verified. Scientists were unable to examine the boy as his followers said it would disturb his meditation.

So what was Jesus then - Arab?

There is a certain logic to that. I am reminded of a book published a couple of years ago by a Muslim intellectual. He stated that Mohammed was not a Muslim as a child, because he invented Islam as an adult. This may seem quite logical to many, but caused a furore in certain Islamic nations who considered it a scandalous remark - not only was the book banned, but there were threats against the author. Buddha, as a child could not have been Buddhist, as there was no such thing. Was he Brahmin ? - I don't know, many here are more learned than I on that matter. Was Jesus a Jew ? Not as a child, I think.... when was Judaism "invented" ?

Technical note: Jesus *was* a Jew- Judaism predates Christianity by several thousand years, coexisting for example with what we regard as "ancient Egypt...." He got into political trouble with the main schools of Jewish thought of his time as well as the Romans. A number of parts of the Old Testament are taken directly from the Torah.

No doubt, though, neither he nor his disciples were self-identified "Christians," most likely... though the disciples would have thought of themselves as his followers. The "Church" didn't get its act together in a big way for at least several decades after he died.

"Steven"

The Human only want to see miracle , that was not good as it will mislead from their learning path,

One will be ego and lost his path to enlightenment as the ego will mislead him/her to more power stage and not inner power.

I don't mean miracle are wrong but in certain time it was necessary to preform to gain trust from followers believed.

Sometimes if we lack of wisdom we will more interested in gain magical power then His Lord Buddha teaching. That is why Buddha says that he is only teacher and not god as people will focus on magical more then pratice Buddhism.

If we partice Buddhsim in the inner understanding stage we will know that miracle is not important any more because inner enlightenment already reach.

It doesn't mean we have to sit and think, that's called mediatation, we can do mediatation while we are working, sleeping,driving,walking - Meaning, if we saw a begger on the street our heart will grow mercy and pity on the begger , that is minor enlightenment to find out what our inner soul needs.

We don't have to see Buddha to preform miracle sitting on the tree, the beggar that we just past by was the spirits of the holy one that it makes us to have a mercy on other human being and to help each other in this world.

SO in Buddhism it sometimes like to says that you see was not what you saw but when you used your heart to see thing that is real and not far away, the Heaven is in front of you and we don't have to go Nepal to look for Buddha boy.

I think the " Buddha Boy " was a set up...!!!

The reasons of why they banned people to get too close is because they didn't want people to find out that it was actually a Wax image. And now CNN reported that it has disappeared -- may be it is in the pot waiting to be re-shaped and shifted elsewhere :D

Don't forget to let me know later... :o I would catch the first flight to Napal :D