Can they be dimmed? I dont think so buy maybe someone knows a way

I have many LV lights in my house. I keep about a dozen on at night, and changed from the original 50W bulb to the 20W bulb, and still used a dimmer. I saw the new LED lights in Home Works that plug into the standard LV housing and only use 1.5W and brought them. I dont like bright lights so I got the warm white. Great lights but still way too bright. If there are no dimmers available, any ideas how to lessen the brightness? Since it is not hot I though maybe some paint or an opaque plastic cover but none of these are great options. Any ideas?

post-24771-0-17100400-1322363604_thumb.p

Edited by Lost in LOS

As I have not yet been to Home Works to check on these LED lights, I am somewhat intrigued. The illustration clearly shows a two pin fitting, so how do these screw into a normal fitting? :ermm: :ermm:

I brought them especially for the two pin. They have them in many versions, including the screw in. Read the boxes carefully. 1.5 watts verses 50w for the same light output which is too bright for what I am using them for [lighting up all my art work at night for mood lighting]

Edited by Lost in LOS

Have you tried running one on a lower voltage? Try 6V or two in series on 12V, depending upon the electronics they may dim down enough for your purpose.

Oddly enough, the cheaper units work better in this mode.

Have you tried running one on a lower voltage? Try 6V or two in series on 12V, depending upon the electronics they may dim down enough for your purpose.

Oddly enough, the cheaper units work better in this mode.

they are all in the standard LV 12v fixture that has the transformer attached.

I do not know the technology, but I KNOW LED's can be dimmed. I have LED auxilary running lights on my motorcycle with a dimmer knob. The dimmer knob goes continuously from off to full. They are Clearwater lights. You can Google them. Anyway, I know it can be done, you just need to find the right dimmer switch. There is an example of a 12V LED dimmer swiitch HERE. The problem is trying to locate such a thing in LOS. You may have to import it..

Are they dimmable transformers (did the halogen lamps dim)?

If so how do the LED react when you try to dim them?

the halogens dimmed fine. When I tried to dim the LED's nothing happened the first half of dimming and then the light went completely out The dimmer was just like an on and off switch with no dimming effect at all

the halogens dimmed fine. When I tried to dim the LED's nothing happened the first half of dimming and then the light went completely out The dimmer was just like an on and off switch with no dimming effect at all

I thought that may be the case, the electronics in the LED lamps compensates for the reducing voltage until there's not enough to keep the light on. This is great for preventing flicker with varying voltages (when your water pump starts) but something of a bind when you actually want the beasts to dim.

You can get dimmable GU5.3 12V lamps :-

post-14979-0-57349100-1322440273_thumb.j

Not looked for them in Thailand mind. Have a look on Ebay, several Hong Kong sellers have them and will ship to Thailand.

thanks guys, appreciate the response. unfortunately i brought 4,000 baht worth but I can put them at my sala and I will try and find the dim-able ones for my mood lighting in the house

As you can see the light is really nice but way to bright for what I want.

thanks for the help, appreciate it

post-24771-0-31072300-1322446288_thumb.j

Maybe you can connect a filter on the lights. The leds not give of lots of heat so it can even be thin plastic.

Maybe a DIY project from some old sunglasses or similar material.

Whilst this will certainly work, it is important to realise that whilst LEDs run relatively cool they are also significantly more sensitive to overheating (as are CFLs). Reducing the cooling air flow may significantly reduce the life of your expensive lamps :(

Lost in LOS.... Those LEDs certainly do look bright. How is the color? Is it bright white or is it more a natural yellow? I recently bought some Chinese LEDs similar to yours and although the color was pleasing, the brightness was rather poor.

Lost in LOS.... Those LEDs certainly do look bright. How is the color? Is it bright white or is it more a natural yellow? I recently bought some Chinese LEDs similar to yours and although the color was pleasing, the brightness was rather poor.

I brought the white since I thought they wouldn't be very bright, exchanged them for they which are labeled warm white. Very, very bright, brighter than my 50w halogen but use 1.5W but I may change the back if I cant get the light dimmer. I really like mood lighting but my house looks like a supermarket with these they are so bright

the lens is on my mind but I have to figure an simple way to do it, and keep some air flow. they do have them in red, yellow and blue and I thought blue but it will screw up the colors on my art

great lights, just way too bright

checked a few places, they dont have any dimmers that say for LED. Crossy, you know about this, I see as others have pointed out, that there are dimmers on the net that will dim these kind of bulbs or do I have to have ones that say dim-able?. Wasn't really sure from your previous response

post-24771-0-37568800-1322473516_thumb.p

Edited by Lost in LOS

I brought the white since I thought they wouldn't be very bright, exchanged them for they which are labeled warm white. Very, very bright, brighter than my 50w halogen but use 1.5W but I may change the back if I cant get the light dimmer. I really like mood lighting but my house looks like a supermarket with these they are so bright

the lens is on my mind but I have to figure an simple way to do it, and keep some air flow. they do have them in red, yellow and blue and I thought blue but it will screw up the colors on my art

great lights, just way too bright

LOST.. Thanks for that info... appreciate it as we are building a house and want to have photographs lit up in the same way as your paintings. I have yet to see that brand for sale in Chiang Mai but at least now I know what to look for.

Also... Since they only dissipate 1.5 watts, I think you will be okay with a lens or diffuser as long as you leave a half centimeter or more of space between the light and material. They do need a bit of airflow but 1.5 watt is not much heat to get rid of.

checked a few places, they dont have any dimmers that say for LED. Crossy, you know about this, I see as others have pointed out, that there are dimmers on the net that will dim these kind of bulbs or do I have to have ones that say dim-able?. Wasn't really sure from your previous response

The lamps you have will resist all attempts to dim them, you need ones that are specifically stated as being dimmable. The electronics are more complex in these as they actually have to read the dimming value from the incoming waveform and regulate the LED driver to suit. It's all about the differing ways that LEDs behave compared with Halogen lamps.

One nice thing about LEDs once you get them dimming, is that they don't change colour as you dim them. My lounge lights go from zero to 120% (yes overdrive) always at the same colour, sadly the drivers are of my own design (made for me by a Chinese company) and cannot handle the lamps you are using :(

The lamps you have will resist all attempts to dim them, you need ones that are specifically stated as being dimmable. The electronics are more complex in these as they actually have to read the dimming value from the incoming waveform and regulate the LED driver to suit. It's all about the differing ways that LEDs behave compared with Halogen lamps.

One nice thing about LEDs once you get them dimming, is that they don't change colour as you dim them. My lounge lights go from zero to 120% (yes overdrive) always at the same colour, sadly the drivers are of my own design (made for me by a Chinese company) and cannot handle the lamps you are using :(

it looks like lenses are the only way then since these are the only bulbs i found that will go in my existing fixtures.

thanks for the help