Crazy Ficking Pick-up Drivers

Neeranam

These ficking pick-up driver really get to me, but my question in this thread is what would you do if there was a pick-up truck running straight for you?
These ficking pick-up driver really get to me, but my question in this thread is what would you do if there was a pick-up truck running straight for you?

Would you swerve off the road if you had time to think and do it, possibly causing more damage?

Also my sporty mazda was well crumpled and the pick-up was not damaged too badly. I thing that my crumple zone saved myself and the ###### in the other vehicle from serious injury. I was thinking what would happen to two pick-ups had a similar crash? Anyone any experiece or thoughts? Are pick-ups actually safer or not. Is it a case of I'm bigger than the others so I will be ok, fick them? :o

No I would not go off the road, unless I thought that the truck was going so fast that I was going to be killed. I would come to a stop (or get rid of as much speed as possible, and get as far over to the side of the road as possible, most roads in Thailand have room for 3 cars, and it might be possible to let the guy passed and avoid the accident altogether.

I understand your anger and frustration, but in Thailand, I don't think it's a case of being bigger that makes them drive that way. I've seen all manner of vehicles pulling off completely insane overtaking maneuvers in Thailand. Big, small it doesn't matter. Perhaps so many accidents tend to involve pickup trucks here because 1/2 the vehicles on the roads here are trucks. But there are many other reasons.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I went back to the police station and finalised the insurance claim.

You must remember that some kind of bribe is usually need to give to the police. I had an influential Thai friend with me, which I thought was enough but on questioning my friend I found out that the poice chief would probably be giving him a call regarding another matter(favour). This is the way things happen in Thailand between police/government. I thought, maybe foolishly that 3 rd party insurance or the compulsory one would be enough for me. I now know from experince that this is not enough. If I didn't have a good Thai friend, I'm sure I'd have been screwed.

Also, the cause of the accident was acting weirdly - he is a yaa ba"(methamphetamine) addict/user.

Good news though - they are paying for all my car repairs, hodpital bills and giving me a compenation check for 25,000 baht.

If the same ever happened again I would ask for more.

Agree with pal78. This is one of the main reasons I always caution anyone coming here without driving experience upcountry not to drive until they learn the norm. And that just happens to be passing vehicle will take priority and you should slow (to allow more time for him to return to normal lane) and pull as far off the road as you can. The normal reaction the first time we see this is all too reminiscent of the "chicken" game we may have played as teenagers I am afraid and instead of taking evasive action we continue (because we are in the correct lane). I would not want to cause a death because I was right and they were wrong. If you can avoid an accident you do so. And when in Thailand things are going to be a little different.

Agree with pal78.  This is one of the main reasons I always caution anyone coming here without driving experience upcountry not to drive until they learn the norm.  And that just happens to be passing vehicle will take priority and you should slow (to allow more time for him to return to normal lane) and pull as far off the road as you can.  The normal reaction the first time we see this is all too reminiscent of the "chicken" game we may have played as teenagers I am afraid and instead of taking evasive action we continue (because we are in the correct lane).  I would not want to cause a death because I was right and they were wrong.  If you can avoid an accident you do so.  And when in Thailand things are going to be a little different.

I am afraid I must completely agree with you. It was not a very nice thing telling the driver of our Sportrider, that had it been a street-wise Farang that had been driving, the accident might never have happened. I visited the scene of the accident and it was a wide road with enough motor cycle track for a car to drive safely on. It was just, at the place of impact there was a line of Thais on motor-cycles and on foot waiting to cross the road. He could have ploughed into them or did what he did, and try to get between the two cars. I for one would have slowed down, so that I would not be sqeezed between an oncoming car and a line of motor cycles. OK, when I drive, I expect the worst, and compensate by slowing down or speeding up in such situations, and I think most Falang drivers do too.

[ the lights turned green, then give them a wave and a smile and disappear into the blue yonder.  :o

Come off it mate; the way Thais accelerate away at traffic lights, you could disappear into the wild blue yonder on a push bike. It's like the Thai, when asked if he liked his new BMW, he replied ' Fantastic. 0-60 in 28 minutes 13 seconds' :D

Please note vehicle acceleration is directly related to the value of the vehicle when driven by a Thai. The higher the price of the vehicle the slower the acceleration (this is why all the moto-bikes go to the front at lights – they are the fastest to accelerate).

Why is this you ask? ----- Face

The more expensive the vehicle the more face, and therefore one must accelerate slowly to allow all those less fortunate to see how expensive the car is you are driving. :D

I've driven in places outside of Bangkok but never in the North or Northeast. Once you get outside of Bangkok there is a lot less traffic and the traffic is not as chaotic. However, unlike in Bangkok, when you want to do a U-turn you must wait until you have enough space to do the turn; not creep out and take one lane at a time. Traffic in Bangkok will simply come to a stop and then you can do the turn. Outside of the city the traffic will not stop. This is similar to how it is in the States. Still, you always have to be on the lookout for trucks and motorcycles who pull out onto the road without even looking.

Agree with pal78. This is one of the main reasons I always caution anyone coming here without driving experience upcountry not to drive until they learn the norm. And that just happens to be passing vehicle will take priority and you should slow (to allow more time for him to return to normal lane) and pull as far off the road as you can. The normal reaction the first time we see this is all too reminiscent of the "chicken" game we may have played as teenagers I am afraid and instead of taking evasive action we continue (because we are in the correct lane). I would not want to cause a death because I was right and they were wrong. If you can avoid an accident you do so. And when in Thailand things are going to be a little different.

Very true Lopburi3.

In future I am going to slow RIGHT down every time I see a car coming on the wrong side, even if it is far away.

Very true Lopburi3.

In future I am going to slow RIGHT down every time I see a car coming on the wrong side, even if it is far away.

It is not just a farang problem as Thai that have not driven upcountry get caught up in the same thinking "who is he flashing his lights - this is my lane" and can be just as much a danger. But if you survive the first incident or two you get to see that most people do slow down and pull over and the person coming at you expects that to happen.

I believe it dates back to the old road system here where you had two lanes and no shoulders and klongs on both sides. It was very hard to find enough room to pass without a curve or hump back bridge (real danger) so oncoming traffic learned to expect the two cars coming at me and either slowed/stopped or went into the klong. They would never drive into another vehicle if there was any other choice. About the only time that happened was on the hump back bridges when you had no time to react (and a wall preventing you from getting over).

Upcountry driving can be very pleasant but you have to be alert all the time - it is not like driving an interstate highway in the US.

Upcountry driving can be very pleasant but you have to be alert all the time - it is not like driving an interstate highway in the US.

With all those little motorcycle pathways on the side of the road I can see what you mean by being alert all the time. Often, these morons just pull right and and shoot into the fast lane. Then there is always the odd vendor cart being pushed/driven along. Unlike in the States, motorcycles aren't allowed on the major highways, even those with powerful engines.

There are no "motorcycle pathways on the side of the road", dude, that's the hard shoulder we are driving on to reduce the risk of being run over and making it easier for other vehicles to pass... :D

On some stretches that's feasible to do, on others there is too much dirt, grass and stones, so moronic zzap will "pull right" onto the road proper. :D:o

There are no "motorcycle pathways on the side of the road", dude, that's the hard shoulder we are driving on to reduce the risk of being run over and making it easier for other vehicles to pass... :D

On some stretches that's feasible to do, on others there is too much dirt, grass and stones, so moronic zzap will "pull right" onto the road proper. :D  :o

And may pay the price. Motorcycles are definite lower beings in road usage here. I don't make it that way but if you think you are doing the favor I wish you lots of luck as you are probably going to go through your nine lives in a hurry. At least let us know you look (or at least have) a rear view mirror before moving lanes? Motorcycles just don't get no respect. :D

And may pay the price. Motorcycles are definite lower beings in road usage here. I don't make it that way but if you think you are doing the favor I wish you lots of luck as you are probably going to go through your nine lives in a hurry. At least let us know you look (or at least have) a rear view mirror before moving lanes? Motorcycles just don't get no respect.

Well said...and many motorcyclists on the roads don't deserve any respect because of how they ride. Even when you try your best to look out for them there is always some bonehead trying to beat you through a turn on the inside or trying to come out of a soi without looking. As the books say, "might is right" over here. The bigger the vehicle, the more right of way it has. Some of the worst drivers are those driving Bangkok's buses. These idiots literally race each other from stop to stop just so they can make and extra 20 baht or so picking up passengers. Those little green khamikazi buses are supposed to be phased out in 2007. It will be good to have those things off the road! Next to go should those built up SUV's with the huge tires, snorkels, etc. These are often driven by wealthy people with few brain cells.

As a motorcyclist, I feel quite safe, although some pick-ups and trucks are a menace, when they come shooting down a hill overtaking some car.

You'll just have to get used to vehicles appearing out of sois without looking - it's not just motorbikes!

At least I don't feel like carrying a club with me, to gently remind cars to keep distance, as I did in the UK!

Surely its not just pick up drivers. I have seen BMW's, Merc's and almost every other type and make of vehicle being driven badly all over Thailand. They are all equally stupid regardless of wealth, education or cost of vehicle driven. Most of them anyway.

As for the slow take of from lights. I think it’s because they don't understand how the gears work. My wife had no idea how the gears were to be used until I explained, and she was in marketing and drove as part of her work.

I have been in other vehicles driven by Thais and when it comes to hills they don't realize that knocking the gears down helps. They will only change from third to second when the car has almost stopped, by which time it’s to late. They can drive really fast on the flat after building the speed up, but I don't think they have figured out how to set of quickly.

I shouldn't generalize. There must be a Thai somewhere that can drive safely and another one that can use the gears correctly.

Another thing to really watch out for are those crazy tour buses. They are usually pretty nice buses and some are even two storey but they are often driven by complete freaks of nature. Many times these buses will load up with poor local folks who are heading off to make merit at a temple in another province and end up rolling off the side of the road; you often see the remains of them pictured on local newspapers. During the Songkran holiday time, and especially on the routes to the Issan, scores of people are killed or injured by idiot drivers. What happens is that there are simply not enough qualified bus drivers for those routes during holiday time so the bus companies probably hire anybody with a pulse and stick them behind the wheel. The elevated motorway which runs from Bangkok down to Chonburi/Pattaya is often used by those two storey buses...I can only imagine what would happen if one of them went over the guard wall. Maybe that has already happened.

As bad as drivers often are over here, it's much worse in other countries. I always try to remind myself of that. Vietnam is pretty chaotic and African countries are a nightmare. Supposedly the Middle East is the worst place to drive. Mexico is really bad as well.

As bad as drivers often are over here, it's much worse in other countries. I always try to remind myself of that. Vietnam is pretty chaotic and African countries are a nightmare. Supposedly the Middle East is the worst place to drive. Mexico is really bad as well.

I have a bit of experience in the Middle East and can not decide which is worse, Thailand or Saudi Arabia

The Arabs seem to drive much faster and much closer together, but at leas they stick to the correct direction. I sometimes think the Thais are worse than the Arabs at driving, which is a really bad thing to say. Maybe they have a similar philosophy i.e. that it’s all preordained and therefore makes no sense to be careful.