Briton Detained After Thai Girlfriend Jumps Off 7th Floor Of Pattaya Hotel

webfact

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M.R. Somchai revealed that from 2002-2003 the suicide rate in Thailand was at 7.7 persons to 100,000 population. This year's suicide rate has dropped to 6.9, while it is estimated that in 2007 the suicide rate will be 5000 persons annually, or about 13 persons per day; 1 person an hour. :ermm:

Thailand has 13 hour days? :whistling:

That man had a problem with the concept of 0.5 person per hour.:D

Can't jump (excuse the pun) to conclusions. The full story must be heard before judgements can be made.

Although I will be very surprised if she actually did jump by choice. I doubt it, unless she was out of her brain on drugs or something ..... but I wonder if he was/is "in shock" because she's survived !??

So you really believe you'd have to be out of your brains on drugs to jump?.. well, people sadly do such things and commit suicide (or try to) all the time, and not generally on any narcotics.. heat of the moment, especially with the Thai 0-3,000,000 temperament in zero seconds when a row blows up.. I've heard it before, 'You want kill me? You want kill me?' .. '<deleted>???'... 'Maybe I just want dead!!'.. no control = anything can happen.. if there had been a gun in the room maybe he 'd be the one fighting for his life.. or worse.. either way, hopefully she'll recover and the truth, not just what she says if she's still mad at him, will 'out'...:wai:

Edited by metisdead
Font.

An ex-footballer and football manager tops himself under tragic circumstances. Posts on TV on the subject are restrained and very respectful - as they should be.

A young Thai woman, mother / daughter, is found dead after am 'alleged' suicide. TV posters seem to find the incident humorous and a reason for sarcastic disrespectful posts.

Interesting :blink:

Most spot on post in the whole thread!

OK just got back from having a look see. Vogue hotel is not where the article said it was; Soi Leng Kee; but an adjacent soi running parallel. The buildings opposite the hotel are 4 storey shop houses with bar, laundry etc on the ground floor and living accommodation / hotel / guest house above. It was lunch time and I saw nobody except a very bored looking security guard. It was very quiet unlike Leng kee with no traffic. But it is still quite a way from the 7th floor balcony to any other observation point, 30 to 50 metres as the hotel is set back with a large forecourt.

Do you have proof of this? Please. :whistling:

jb1

I'm not sure what you mean by proof..It is what I've seen with my own eyes...not hearsay..not an unsubstantiated quote from somewhere...but seen with my own eyes and I am not in the habit of lying....and would most certainly have nothing to gain by doing so.

Can you imagine if every poster was like this ?...... i.e. "I was short changed in 7-11" .... "Do you have Proof ?"...

In the court of Thaivisa.com didn't you realise that seeing something for your own eyes is not acceptable... You should have taken photo's, video's, taken sworn testimony and signed an affidavit before posting...

Can't jump (excuse the pun) to conclusions. The full story must be heard before judgements can be made.

Although I will be very surprised if she actually did jump by choice. I doubt it, unless she was out of her brain on drugs or something ..... but I wonder if he was/is "in shock" because she's survived !??

So you really believe you'd have to be out of your brains on drugs to jump?.. well, people sadly do such things and commit suicide (or try to) all the time, and not generally on any narcotics.. heat of the moment, especially with the Thai 0-3,000,000 temperament in zero seconds when a row blows up.. I've heard it before, 'You want kill me? You want kill me?' .. '<deleted>???'... 'Maybe I just want dead!!'.. no control = anything can happen.. if there had been a gun in the room maybe he 'd be the one fighting for his life.. or worse.. either way, hopefully she'll recover and the truth, not just what she says if she's still mad at him, will 'out'...:wai:

not in my world. or the world i see around me.

i think you are mistaking over-dramatics for reality. if people wanted to or tried to commit suicide all the time the human race would cease to exsist.

its not human nature, animal nature, fish nature or plant nature to commit suicide. nature programs us to survive and prosper not go around jumping out of windows or trying to end out own exsistence.

what a load of driffle.

Thai soap operas may train them to over react and be over dramatic but what you are saying is nonsense.

Assuming guilt of a falang when there is the death of a Thai is second nature in LOS, We are all classified as inferior in the country , remember Thais are even taught that they are a superior nationality at some schools. This is not baiting it's a fact I am an ajarn

• Like 1

Assuming guilt of a falang when there is the death of a Thai is second nature in LOS, We are all classified as inferior in the country , remember Thais are even taught that they are a superior nationality at some schools. This is not baiting it's a fact I am an ajarn

I don't agree with you about Thai's blaming foreigners in such a way; if the poor girl jumped or whatever, any police investigation in any country would focus on the partner/spouse/family etc. I hope she's alright.

By Ajarn you mean 'English Teacher' right? No shame in that, but I guess I have to ask- are you saying that the syllabus you teach is geared toward telling Thais they are superior? I mean, I always feel like they think their culture is superior to others, but I have no proof as such.

I thought it was something they learned at home, and now I hear that they are taught this at school??mad.gif

• Like 1

By Ajarn you mean 'English Teacher' right? No shame in that, but I guess I have to ask- are you saying that the syllabus you teach is geared toward telling Thais they are superior? I mean, I always feel like they think their culture is superior to others, but I have no proof as such.

I thought it was something they learned at home, and now I hear that they are taught this at school??mad.gif

And if they were would that make them different from children in the USA, The UK, France or so many other western countries?

What University to you hold your position at? A common, "right off the boat" mistakes that English teachers make is to inflate their status. Ajarn means "professor" ; meaning a graduate degree holder (likely a Ph.D., or at least a Masters degree) teaching at a recognizes Univerity, however teachers of children, or English teachers outside a University position are called Kru (Teacher). 99% of the farangs I have seen call themselves Ajarn are either ignorant or lying. Since your English was very poorly written I assume you are not highly enough educated to be a professor. However, I could be wrong...

• Like 1

What University to you hold your position at? A common, "right off the boat" mistakes that English teachers make is to inflate their status. Ajarn means "professor" ; meaning a graduate degree holder (likely a Ph.D., or at least a Masters degree) teaching at a recognizes Univerity, however teachers of children, or English teachers outside a University position are called Kru (Teacher). 99% of the farangs I have seen call themselves Ajarn are either ignorant or lying. Since your English was very poorly written I assume you are not highly enough educated to be a professor. However, I could be wrong...

You are wrong with your definition of "ajarn " and I aint wasting my time arguing with someone who's ignorant of the facts.

Edited by KKvampire

What country teachers their kids in school that they are a sh@t nationality let alone not the best?

Of course in the USA we are taught we are #1 but that is only because we are. LMAO

It just confuses me that most of us come from countries that look down on foreigners and then seem shocked by the fact it happens sometimes here. It is time for some people to wake-up and realizes the tables are turned when they decide to stay in another country. It is only in their country that they are superior than other nationalities.

I think every country would treat a non-national differently if there is any hint of a crime simply because they are such a flight risk.

Edited by Nisa

I've read news reports of a few jilted thai girls that attemp suicide (mostly succesfully) after the boyfriend/husbands breaks it off with them.

did they successfully attempt.....i.e. live

or

successfully suicide...i.e. die

Can't quite be sure from the way it is written..I after 30 years here have only heard of one case...He shot his two-timing boyfriend and then himself..both fatally..he was a waiter at a very popular British Food restaurant...

I read an article a couple of years ago that was analysing a spate of suicides amongst educated thai women. The main cause was reported as being failing relationships, and the writer was posing the question; why, even with good jobs, more disposable income and a comfortable lifestyle, were these women taking their own lives over a 'broken heart'?

IIRC jumping off bridges was the preferred method.

I'm not sure how you would understand "attemp suicide.." followed by the word 'successfully' to mean they survived.....

Some of the women failed in their attempt; they survived.

the majority though, were successful in their attempt; they died.

I hope I've cleared that up for you.

As for you only being able to recall hearing of 1 case in 30 years, well, it doesn't make it any less true that I read it, does it?

And I'd put my life on it (!) that there has been more than 1 thai girl commit suicide over a broken heart in the last 30 years, so it makes your little factoid a moot point.

I briefly tried to find it on google and the bangkok post website, but then I lost interest.....

Actually, suicide jumps by Thai Women are unfortunately common especially concerning relationships. The only unusual aspect of this case is that She has a "Foreign Boyfriend".

It's also possible that this Lady may have had a serious financial or academic problem. Just because it happened in Pattaya we should be cautious in making assumptions about the character of either person.

Why do these young blokes come here ? When I first arrived here in 1995 I was considered young at 42. You rarely saw a foreigner under 30 . However, now they come in hordes WHY ?? When I was in my 20's I could always get a bird back home. I can't get one anymore.... well.... one that I would want, so I come here......... But then I am faced with these young <deleted>, what are they doing here ? Go back home and wait until you are 50+ and then return.

That is what Pattaya is for, so the old sods can get a reasonable looking bird. You young <deleted> are spoiling Pattaya and the birds here. The good looking ones are no longer interested in 50+ men and why???? because of these young tossers coming here thinking they are something special and spoiling it.

:cheesy: This really made me laugh out loud :cheesy:

They aren't taught that they are superior...............They are only not told that their are other cultures outside Thailand.

Why do these young blokes come here ? When I first arrived here in 1995 I was considered young at 42. You rarely saw a foreigner under 30 . However, now they come in hordes WHY ?? When I was in my 20's I could always get a bird back home. I can't get one anymore.... well.... one that I would want, so I come here......... But then I am faced with these young <deleted>, what are they doing here ? Go back home and wait until you are 50+ and then return.

That is what Pattaya is for, so the old sods can get a reasonable looking bird. You young <deleted> are spoiling Pattaya and the birds here. The good looking ones are no longer interested in 50+ men and why???? because of these young tossers coming here thinking they are something special and spoiling it.

Why do these young blokes come here ? Hmmmm, maybe because 90% of the "birds" where they are from have turned into Hippos, Whales and Chang? :sick: Also, nobody has invented beer goggles that come in a "Very-Wide-Angle" model. ?fish-eye?

It just confuses me that most of us come from countries that look down on foreigners and then seem shocked by the fact it happens sometimes here.

My country's educational system doesn't teach people to look down on foreigners. We are taught to respect others and different cultures.

It doesn't happen "sometimes here" either. Xenophobia and nationalism are cultivated in schools, through the Scout movement especially and during military service which many children actively participate in. The Thai curriculum is geared towards a myopic, Thai-centric historical viewpoint which, contorts, outright denies and in some cases deliberately excludes important historical events that reflect poorly on Thailand.

I think every country would treat a non-national differently if there is any hint of a crime simply because they are such a flight risk.

That would be against the law where I come from. It is called discrimination.

What country teachers their kids in school that they are a sh@t nationality let alone not the best?

Of course in the USA we are taught we are #1 but that is only because we are. LMAO

None do afaik, but it's naff when they look down on everyone else, particularly when they're fatally flawed... and may I suggest using ( :P ) when doing your we are the shit bit? If such a powerful/rich nation can't teach the majority of its people 'real' world history, they're either full of it, dense, or everyone else below #1 is stoopid. In retrospect, we all know yankland is the product of the great euro nations. :whistling:

Has the lad been released?

It just confuses me that most of us come from countries that look down on foreigners and then seem shocked by the fact it happens sometimes here.

My country's educational system doesn't teach people to look down on foreigners. We are taught to respect others and different cultures.

It doesn't happen "sometimes here" either. Xenophobia and nationalism are cultivated in schools, through the Scout movement especially and during military service which many children actively participate in. The Thai curriculum is geared towards a myopic, Thai-centric historical viewpoint which, contorts, outright denies and in some cases deliberately excludes important historical events that reflect poorly on Thailand.

That would be against the law where I come from. It is called discrimination.

Teaching one to believe they have the best system and are the best nation is the norm throughout the world. For all of your wanting to argue about this it is actually very funny since your posts constantly ring as if Thais are foreigners in their own country and you are superior to them.

I don't care what country you are from unless it is the land of retardation, a non-citizen is always going to be treated a bit differently when a crime a possible murder has been committed because they are much much more of a flight risk.

None do afaik, but it's naff when they look down on everyone else, particularly when they're fatally flawed... and may I suggest using ( :P ) when doing your we are the shit bit? If such a powerful/rich nation can't teach the majority of its people 'real' world history, they're either full of it, dense, or everyone else below #1 is stoopid. In retrospect, we all know yankland is the product of the great euro nations. :whistling:

Has the lad been released?

Generally, the only time a country teaches honest history is when it doesn't involve its own history. If you want to true history of Thailand then it is not something you are going to get in a public school in Thailand. The same is true if you want the true history of the USA, it is not going to be taught in US public schools.

Most countries have pledges, songs or such things they make school kids recite (often daily) in school in order to enforce from a young age their loyalty to ones own country. If people didn't believe their country and people were the best then they would not fight for than country but rather wish for it to be taken over by a more smarter people and nation.

One only needs to read the posts on ThaiVisa to see so many people bringing their feelings of superiority with them to Thailand. So, many things they look down on Thais for are reasons Thais feel proud. National pride is a common theme throughout the world and arguing this only proves how deep one has been brainwashed because they don't believe Thais should also instill this in their people as their country did to them.

Teaching one to believe they have the best system and are the best nation is the norm throughout the world. For all of your wanting to argue about this it is actually very funny since your posts constantly ring as if Thais are foreigners in their own country and you are superior to them.

I don't care what country you are from unless it is the land of retardation, a non-citizen is always going to be treated a bit differently when a crime a possible murder has been committed because they are much much more of a flight risk.

I disagree that "teaching one to believe they have the best system and are the best nation is the norm throughout the world." As I previously stated, I was educated to understand and accept other cultures and differences. It does show what level of education you received if you were educated in this manner though, it certainly explains your unbalanced defensiveness over any perceived slight on the country you are currently residing in.

Your statement that a non-citizen would be treated differently simply because they are a flight risk is nonsense. In a proper, functioning justice system each case is judged on it's own merits and decisions made based on evidence presented in a court of law.

I've asked you before to drop the childish insults when addressing my posts, it seems old habits die hard.

Generally, the only time a country teaches honest history is when it doesn't involve its own history. If you want to true history of Thailand then it is not something you are going to get in a public school in Thailand. The same is true if you want the true history of the USA, it is not going to be taught in US public schools.

Most countries have pledges, songs or such things they make school kids recite (often daily) in school in order to enforce from a young age their loyalty to ones own country. If people didn't believe their country and people were the best then they would not fight for than country but rather wish for it to be taken over by a more smarter people and nation.

One only needs to read the posts on ThaiVisa to see so many people bringing their feelings of superiority with them to Thailand. So, many things they look down on Thais for are reasons Thais feel proud. National pride is a common theme throughout the world and arguing this only proves how deep one has been brainwashed because they don't believe Thais should also instill this in their people as their country did to them.

Making broad statements about what countries teach what is a big stretch as you clearly don't know what is actually taught outside of the US.

Again, in most of Europe and the UK we are taught our history however bad it is. Do you think the Germans don't learn about the Nazis? Or British involvement in the slave trade to the US colonies? Think again. We don't have 'pedges' either.

National pride is taught in most countries, but overt nationalism and xenophobia is nurtured and taught in Thailand. There's a big difference.

Edited by Oberkommando