Multiple Graphics Card Setup

tomat

Hi

I am looking to build a system that has to support 4 monitors, I don't want to do it with a single graphics card because that would mean using display port cables and since those are (still) impossible to get inside Thailand I would rather go for a dual graphics card solution.

When I search online I have a hard time finding any other replies to people with the same question other than "get a single card that supports 4 monitors", and since I don't want that I thought I would ask here.

What I want is to be able to use all four monitors for different content (so no cloned content). I guess my question is if the two cards have to connected in SLI or CrossFire for it to work, or if I just put the two cards in the motherboard they can be setup to output to 4 monitors?

I should mention that I don't have any of the hardware yet, so not fixed on any specific models yet.

Some questions:

1. What will you be using these monitors for? What applications?

2. Is it necessary to color manage the monitors?

3. What monitor inputs do you need to support?

Crossfire/SLI is not required or recommended with multiple monitor use, in fact when you enable Crossfire/SLR on a multi-monitor system it will take all monitors off-line but one and direct all the CPU power to that one monitor. There are exceptions for monitor groups but you don't want a group either for your requirements.

IF your applications don't require a great amount of GPU power, and IF you don't require all four of the monitors to be color managed, and IF you are willing to use active adapters, you can connect four monitors to one card via DVI or HDMI connectors. The Sapphire Flex HD 5670 I used in this multi-card setup will support four monitors per card. These cards are inexpensive, draw low power, generate low heat, so you could use two if you like, but you really only need one and a DP Active Adapter which is available as an accessory from Sapphire for under $20. I've tested these adapters and they work great. This is an unusual card, so I'll be writing a review just on the card soon.

Keep in mind that video cards generate heat, make noise (their fans are generally low end and wear and get more noisy fast), and actually block thermal flow inside your case. If you don't need much GPU power to serve your applications I'd highly recommend either the one card mentioned above, or two simple 5000 series ATI cards to run two monitors each from. I reviewed this ATI 5450 passive card(no fan, so you'll need to rig a 120mm fan internally to blow across their heatsinks, very easy to do) which would work for you IF your applications don't require much GPU power.

If you need more GPU power or require color managed monitors I can make further recommendations.

I hope this helps.