Help Needed For Ftp Access

localexpat

Hi,

Any help on this item appreciated

Regarding FPTs

I have used FPTs when had windows XP using modems to connect to the internet, I had a Billion brand modem, no problems.

I now use Vista and my Billion and other modems dont work with Vista.

I have tried to find an upto date modem without success, the only item I can find is a Zyxel router which I use now. Problem is the router blocks access to my ftp.

I think I should port forward but this is too complicated for me, so I am stuck.

Does anyone know where I can buy a modem only ( not router that is good for Vista and Win 7?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Are you trying to access a machine at home machine via FTP? If so the port you need to forward is 21, but you may also need to enable FTP access in your Windows firewall and have some kind of FTP server running on that machine. If you are trying to access an FTP site on the internet from your home machine, your router should not be blocking it, unless you have specifically set it to do so.

Your router probably includes a modem already, if you don't have a separate box. Have a look in the control panel, some models allow you to put them in 'bridging mode' where they basically operate as a modem only (I suspect this will not solve your problem though).

"Problem is the router blocks access to my ftp."

No way. If you have left it on the default settings this cannot happen. Only if you have buggered about altered the settings could this happen.

Your problem is much more likely to be with the firewall on your PC, as mentioned.

Or are you talking about running an FTP server on your PC and accessing it from the net? You are not very clear about what you want to do.

If I may get clarification on a few things? First let me say, Windows XP SP2 and beyond as well as VISTA and Windows 7 have a built-in Firewall (turned on by default in Vista and 7) that block incoming FTP.

PICK ONE:

1. Do you want to FTP from a computer on the INTERNET to your Vista computer connected to your Zyxel Router?
  2. Do you want to FTP from your Vista computer to another computer where both are connected to the Zyxel Router?
  3. Do you want to FTP from your Vista computer to another computer on the INTERNET?

Note that #2 and #3 should automatically work with the default settings of Vista and your Zyxel router. AS LONG AS YOU ARE USING THE DEFAULT FTP CLIENT (in a dos window). 3rd party FTP clients may have an issue

Assuming it is #1 you have to do 2 things. Enable FTP through the Zyxel Router and Enable FTP in your VISTA firewall.

Enable FTP through the Zyxel Router Instructions:

1. You will need to log onto your Zyxel router by opening up Internet Explorer and putting in the IP address of the router (aka Default Gateway).
  2. Once logged on, choose "Networking" from the menu on the left and then choose "NAT"
  3. On the NAT menu, choose "Port Forwarding" tab.
  4. Chose the "Service Name" dropdown and select "FTP"
  5. For the "Server IP Address", put in the IP address of your Vista machine
  6. Click the "Add" button.

Here is a youtube video on how to do port forwarding on a Zyxel router. NOTE this is to do a custom port and I would choose FTP from the dropdown and NOT do custom. But the video should give you a good idea. Note I have never used a Zyxel but watched the the first 2 minutes of this video to get the menu information.

Enable FTP through your VISTA firewall:

I will need more information if you are running an FTP server on your VISTA computer. Application name, version number etc. However, if you configure they Zyxel router for port forwarding AND you turn off the VISTA firewall, it should work. I suggest only shutting it off to test to make sure the FTP server application is working through the router, then turn on firewall and create exception rules in Vista firewall.