Wellcom Android Phones

twestheimer

My friend has been looking for a Dual SIM Android phone, so I'm passing this on to him, in the past I was interested in the A99 , but found it difficult to actually find any new model Wellcom phones on sale , other than in Bangkok . :(

My friend has been looking for a Dual SIM Android phone, so I'm passing this on to him, in the past I was interested in the A99 , but found it difficult to actually find any new model Wellcom phones on sale , other than in Bangkok . :(

Both of the newer models are missing flash for the camera, but other than that, looks like good deal for 6k baht. Fairly progressive dual-sim. But we all know exactly why the other major phone brands do not dual-sim their higher model phones.

4evermaat,

I've only played with the A8. Felt light in the hand. Vibration seemed set to "everything". Small, super-sensitive screen. So much so, I had difficulty using it. The Android version seemed limited. Or, maybe proprietary. Anyway, not true Market. And, some Android menus seemed to be missing from "Settings". Promotion priced at 3200 baht.

These are only first observations. I did not make any calls with it. And, I was not a buyer. The shop owner had asked me to change the keyboard from English to Thai. And, a Thai customer was the buyer. He liked the vibration effects.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

PROBLEM WITH WELCOM A99 ANDRIOD 3G / WIFI PHONES.

Yesterday, at the advice of a friend who had purchased a Welcom A99 mobile phone. I went out and looked at it at Fortune Towner and it seemed pretty simple to use and I liked it.

I paid about 7000 THB for the unit. Took it home to play around with it’s features and to get a feel for the new phone. Started to have issues with unlocking the phone but quickly resolved that issue.

Connected the phones USB connector to my laptop. The laptop attemped to find some software or divise driver to inface with the mobile phone. Failed in several areas.

Went online to search for the drivers. Found mostly Thai sites with the phones drivers. BIG MISTAKE.

Then I found Call Center number on the back and website address: www.wellcommobile.com

The site was in Thai, Chinese and very limited English. Went to the my phones area to check for drivers. NONE. (so typical of a Thai designed site).

I installed the drivers from the Thai sites, and then my computer started to act strange. Programs started to not function. Virus program went out and so on.

I called Customer serivice from my other phone which is older at their 02-641-5000 number. Inquired about getting my money back for the phone. The man said, “NO.” You bought it. (Typical Thai response)

I took out the SIM card out and threw the phone out of the window.

I spent all night, Reinstalling Windows 7 back onto my laptop.

WARNING: Stay away from Welcom A99 or any of their Andriod products. The phone is a piece of Thai / Chinese crap. It’s not designed for foreigners, or has any practical use.

Yesterday, at the advice of a friend who had purchased a Welcom A99 mobile phone. I went out and looked at it at Fortune Towner and it seemed pretty simple to use and I liked it.

I paid about 7000 THB for the unit. Took it home to play around with it’s features and to get a feel for the new phone. Started to have issues with unlocking the phone but quickly resolved that issue.

Connected the phones USB connector to my laptop. The laptop attemped to find some software or divise driver to inface with the mobile phone. Failed in several areas.

Went online to search for the drivers. Found mostly Thai sites with the phones drivers. BIG MISTAKE.

Then I found Call Center number on the back and website address: www.wellcommobile.com

The site was in Thai, Chinese and very limited English. Went to the my phones area to check for drivers. NONE. (so typical of a Thai designed site).

I installed the drivers from the Thai sites, and then my computer started to act strange. Programs started to not function. Virus program went out and so on.

I called Customer serivice from my other phone which is older at their 02-641-5000 number. Inquired about getting my money back for the phone. The man said, “NO.” You bought it. (Typical Thai response)

WARNING: Stay away from Welcom A99 or any of their Andriod products. The phone is a piece of Thai / Chinese crap. It’s not designed for foreigners, or has any practical use.

Strange as the Wellcom A99 is a Huawei IDEOS X6 and that phone has been getting good write ups.

If you still have the phone. I will buy it from you.

PM me

Strange as the Wellcom A99 is a Huawei IDEOS X6 and that phone has been getting good write ups.

PM me

Well, their have been many negative reports about the phone and the drivers used to help the phone connect to your computer.

When I got the phone, there was no support site, but I did find it listed on the box and went to the site. There were no drivers for the phone that could be seen.

When I connected the phone to the USB port. My laptop had a lot of difficulty in locating the driver and started to report errors with the installation of a driver.

Within moments, my virus scanner was diabled, access to directories was diasabled, access to most used programs such as Firefox, MS Office was disabled. Each one reporting errors. I even tried to run AVN virus scanner and it said I had to enter the activation code? Checking for the existance of programs from the start up directory showed the name of the program, such as MS Office... and said there were no applications. The computer just stopped working.

I basically had to delete Windows 7 from the computer and proceeded to reinstall it but still had errors when reinstalled. I then loaded Ubuntu 10.10 to delete all the partician the drive and repartian the drive and reformat the drive. That worked.

I then reinstalled Windows 7, and reinstalled the virus software and other security programs from Microsoft just to avoid problems.

Last night, I was speaking to a friend of mine who is from Malasia and he said, he's heard nothing but complants about the phone from his friends in his country and they refuse to use it. Why, they suspect the phone once connected to the PC transfers a virus to your PC. I suspected that also, since I could not find anyway how these issues came up just right after the phone was connected to the laptop.

I ended up pulling my old SIM card out of the Welcom A99 phone and threw it into the garbage.

The phone is part of a partnership between Thai and China to make a phone and market it. It's Thai / Chinese crap, basically.

PM me

Well, their have been many negative reports about the phone and the drivers used to help the phone connect to your computer.

When I got the phone, there was no support site, but I did find it listed on the box and went to the site. There were no drivers for the phone that could be seen.

When I connected the phone to the USB port. My laptop had a lot of difficulty in locating the driver and started to report errors with the installation of a driver.

Within moments, my virus scanner was diabled, access to directories was diasabled, access to most used programs such as Firefox, MS Office was disabled. Each one reporting errors. I even tried to run AVN virus scanner and it said I had to enter the activation code? Checking for the existance of programs from the start up directory showed the name of the program, such as MS Office... and said there were no applications. The computer just stopped working.

I basically had to delete Windows 7 from the computer and proceeded to reinstall it but still had errors when reinstalled. I then loaded Ubuntu 10.10 to delete all the partician the drive and repartian the drive and reformat the drive. That worked.

I then reinstalled Windows 7, and reinstalled the virus software and other security programs from Microsoft just to avoid problems.

Last night, I was speaking to a friend of mine who is from Malasia and he said, he's heard nothing but complants about the phone from his friends in his country and they refuse to use it. Why, they suspect the phone once connected to the PC transfers a virus to your PC. I suspected that also, since I could not find anyway how these issues came up just right after the phone was connected to the laptop.

I ended up pulling my old SIM card out of the Welcom A99 phone and threw it into the garbage.

The phone is part of a partnership between Thai and China to make a phone and market it. It's Thai / Chinese crap, basically.

Again.. if you still have the phone i will buy it from you.. how much do you want?

i will buy the Wellcom A99 from you.

Edited by thaicbr

PM me

it sounds impossible for a phone to do what you describe, windows 7 has a built in anti- virus and firewall and you had a third party one as well and this phone loaded a virus into ur system and completely detroyed the HDD files ??

I've had both an A88 (bought for 7000bt last year) and an A99 (bought for 7000bt in November) - both in Chiang Mai. The A88 had Android 2.2 on it and was a nifty little phone if slightly 'laggy'. The A99 has 2.3 and is really good value at 7000bt. As has been mentioned it's a Huawei Ideos X6. I had none of the problems that have been mentioned in this thread. I'd recommend it as a good buy.

During driver installation you basically give the installer admin / root rights.

Yes. I spent 2 days in repairing my computer.

JUST IN CASE YOU DID NOT UNDERSTAND

I WILL BUY YOUR TOTALLY USELESS WELLCOM A99 From you.

How much do you want for it???? Pm me please.

thanks

I looked at the WellcoM A99 when it first came out , and priced around 11,000 Baht , but decided to wait , so 7,000 Baht sounds a good buy , I researched the A99 and yes there were forum comments on several issues , but as with most mobile phones , forums are full of negative comments. One of my friends has the A99 and tethers it to his computer using an Android app, ( EasyTether ) and it works a dream . The A99 is manufactured by Foxconnall and is all so marketed as -

A99.jpg

and possibly more .

Sadly the A99 does not have the either the 850MHz or 900MHz 3G radio frequencies .

EasyTether App

https://market.andro...sytether&c=apps

• 3 months later...

Sadly, many people are too impatient. When they buy a new phone and do not even know anything about it they can give all sorts of remarks on the product just within an hour or a day.

The A99 is one of the best value for a phone in that range with cpu of 1ghz...with big screen and when I bought it it came with a 8gb microsd. As from someone who had problem connecting the A99 to a WIndozz based computer..... the A99 is not to blame. There are many forums with tutorials to do that right. We all know that Windows always depend on drivers and at times will drive whoever uses it crazy. Plug the A99 on to a Mac and you drive the A99, no other drivers needed. All one need is to just learn a little more and you'll tame the A99.

The A99 is made by Foxconn, a company that makes things for Apple too. Besides, there are many variants of the A99... so there are developers working on improving the Rom. The A99 will be good for a couple of years and a Rom based on ICS is now in the Alpha stage. Someone has already run ICS 4 on the A99 and it works albeit a few features that are still not working and very soon the developers will get them fixed.

I think the A99, for its price is one of the best buy and value. I will recommend it to anyone who does not want to cough out so much to get a decent phone.

Sadly, many people are too impatient. When they buy a new phone and do not even know anything about it they can give all sorts of remarks on the product just within an hour or a day.

The A99 is one of the best value for a phone in that range with cpu of 1ghz...with big screen and when I bought it it came with a 8gb microsd. As from someone who had problem connecting the A99 to a WIndozz based computer..... the A99 is not to blame. There are many forums with tutorials to do that right. We all know that Windows always depend on drivers and at times will drive whoever uses it crazy. Plug the A99 on to a Mac and you drive the A99, no other drivers needed. All one need is to just learn a little more and you'll tame the A99.

The A99 is made by Foxconn, a company that makes things for Apple too. Besides, there are many variants of the A99... so there are developers working on improving the Rom. The A99 will be good for a couple of years and a Rom based on ICS is now in the Alpha stage. Someone has already run ICS 4 on the A99 and it works albeit a few features that are still not working and very soon the developers will get them fixed.

I think the A99, for its price is one of the best buy and value. I will recommend it to anyone who does not want to cough out so much to get a decent phone.

Ive read that the Wellcom A99 can now be found for 5,900 Baht , has any one seen it for sale at that price ?

Thanks thumbsup.gif

My wife bought it at 5k THB. I have to agree that there is issue with driver when connecting to pc. Other then that it is abit better then china made. @ 5k, I would rather buy Samsung Galaxy Y

Ive read that the Wellcom A99 can now be found for 5,900 Baht , has any one seen it for sale at that price ?

Thanks thumbsup.gif

The last time I saw them selling it for 5900 bhts was at the telecom show at Soon Sirikit and also at the PowerBuy shop in Central World. Now the booth selling Wellcom phone is not more there. I saw a shop at Mah Boon Krong on the level where they sell phone displaying 2 used A99 selling for 5000Bhts. I guess the seller is not aware that a new A99 is selling for 5900 bhts now.

at thie link the guy is selling a used one for 3900 bhts, pdamobiz.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=545666&PN=3

PM me

Maybe ask where the OP lives and look on the nearby footpath? rolleyes.gif

There's only one thing ive ever wanted to throw out of my window , and she is currently sat watching some crazy Thai soap on tv biggrin.png

I would have to agree with elshaheen. Stay away from Wellcom phones. My wife bought one (A99) because she liked the way it looked. Two days later it had all kinds of problems. Windows didn't load up the phone kept searching for drivers. My wife downloaded the drivers from a thai site and they crashed the computer. Returned to the store and they said no refund and no warranty. My wife gave it to her niece and a week later the phone wouldn't charge up. My wife now has a Samsung GSII and I'm using a Droid RAZR. If want to buy a new phone, check the reviews on sites in the US or Europe.

• 3 weeks later...
I would have to agree with elshaheen. Stay away from Wellcom phones. My wife bought one (A99) because she liked the way it looked. Two days later it had all kinds of problems. Windows didn't load up the phone kept searching for drivers. My wife downloaded the drivers from a thai site and they crashed the computer. Returned to the store and they said no refund and no warranty. My wife gave it to her niece and a week later the phone wouldn't charge up. My wife now has a Samsung GSII and I'm using a Droid RAZR. If want to buy a new phone, check the reviews on sites in the US or Europe.

You might as well say Stay away from Huawei phones as that's what the A99 is. Other Wellcom phones come from other manufacturers. The Wellcom A90+ is an ok phone. Ltd memory but ok

sent from my Wellcom A90+

4evermaat,

I've only played with the A8. Felt light in the hand. Vibration seemed set to "everything". Small, super-sensitive screen. So much so, I had difficulty using it. The Android version seemed limited. Or, maybe proprietary. Anyway, not true Market. And, some Android menus seemed to be missing from "Settings". Promotion priced at 3200 baht.

These are only first observations. I did not make any calls with it. And, I was not a buyer. The shop owner had asked me to change the keyboard from English to Thai. And, a Thai customer was the buyer. He liked the vibration effects.

Cheers

They have two models, the one you bought looks like android, but a java phone. Better go back and get refunded how much is possible from him.

I am Android user from 2 years, market is changed, better buy a Samsung,, they have all ranges from 4700 baht. Is the best option for now. Chinese models are basically garbage with big screen, Samsung is more affordable and easy to use is the best in Market.

I am Android user from 2 years, market is changed, better buy a Samsung,, they have all ranges from 4700 baht. Is the best option for now. Chinese models are basically garbage with big screen, Samsung is more affordable and easy to use is the best in Market.

i can confirm chinese java copy are garbage. if you want a budget android phone, if the major brands arent available, iMobile, welcomm, and q couple of others are ok. i would buy from tesco or reputable branded store.

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from TV android app (Galaxy Cooper).