This Is Needed At Thai Cinemas

DJ Pat

Actor Richard Griffiths ordered a woman out of his West End play, after her mobile phone rang for the third time.

The production of Heroes at Wyndham's theatre was nearing the end when Griffiths asked her: "Is that it, or will it be ringing some more?"

The audience clapped as he asked her to leave the Saturday matinee performance.

Last year Griffiths ordered a man out of the National Theatre, when his phone went off for the sixth time during a production of The History Boys.

Heroes, which also stars John Hurt and Ken Stott, is about war veterans in a nursing home planning their bid for freedom.

It was during the penultimate scene that Griffiths, 58, addressed the woman directly from the stage.

He said: "Could the person whose mobile phone it is please leave?

"The 750 people here would be fully justified in suing you for ruining their afternoon."

The Old Vic's artistic director Kevin Spacey has made a point of embarrassing audience members whose phones go off in the past.

He said: "You have to respect the fact there is some degree of behaviour that we expect in the theatre and we're going to demand it at the Old Vic.

"It's a phone-free zone. We don't want them ringing and we certainly don't want them ringing and people ignoring them

Her BF/customer offered me a fight and was surprised when I said "Alright come outside now" he just sat back down much to the amusement of the rest of the audience.

Not really, just kidding. Her BF/customer encouraged her to turn it off and that was it.

But unfortunately, the Thai jai-yen attitude means that nobody ever tells the offenders off...  :o

I told some bit*h in the cinema in Pattaya to "<deleted>*kin switch it off" Last month

I would've switched off after telling you to go **** yourself :D

No fear from Pat, Dave? :D

But unfortunately, the Thai jai-yen attitude means that nobody ever tells the offenders off...  :o

I told some bit*h in the cinema in Pattaya to "<deleted>*kin switch it off" Last month

Are you a bit*h then Dave? I thought that applied to the opposite sex :D

all these places can and should have a phone signals jammer installed.

there is no excuse for not having 1.

Magnetic wood can block mobile phone signals

Magnetic wood could be a major plank in the battle against noisy cellphone users. The high-tech material absorbs microwave radio signals, making it impossible to use a mobile phone in any room lined with it. Or a radio for that matter. So theatres and restaurants, for example, can stop people using cellphones on their premises without resorting to signal jammers.

Hideo Oka and a team of electronics engineers at Iwate University in Morioka, northern Japan looked at four different ways of making wood absorb radio waves before hitting on the best one. The first was simply wood coated with a ferrite powder. The others were made by mixing ferrite powder with cider wood powder and pressing it into boards, or impregnating the wood with particles, or sandwiching wood pulp containing ferrite powder between two thin wooden panels.

Oka tested each wood in turn by putting collars of each material over a short antenna that broadcasts radio waves at the typical GSM mobile phone frequencies of 900 megahertz and 1.8 gigahertz.

The antenna can also broadcast at frequencies up to 2.5 gigahertz, which covers the range commonly used for wireless networks like Bluetooth and the emerging IEEE 802.11 standard, better known as Wi-Fi. A receiver measured the strength of the radio waves transmitted through the material.

In the end, Oka found that ferrite sandwiched between thin sheets of wood performed best. Further tests showed that a 4-millimetre-thick sandwich absorbed the most microwave radiation, cutting the wave's power by 97 per cent. Increasing the thickness of the outer wooden sheets of the sandwich increased the frequency of radio waves that the shield would absorb.

The wood-based shields could be used to make doors and walls for rooms or even entire buildings where mobile phones simply won't work. While the prospect of being forcefully cut off might horrify some cellphone addicts, Oka says theatre-goers and restaurant customers might appreciate the silence.

Cellular Mobile Phone Jammer

PROVIDES ACOUSTIC ISOLATION - Phone Jammer provides the ultimate solution in any area where cellular communications frequently cause nuisance either by loud incoming call rings or loud telephone conversations. Phone Jammer is suitable in executive offices, board meetings, conferences, seminars, libraries, cinemas, religious places, public transport, concert halls, restaurants and educational institutions etc.

PROTECT AGAINST BREACH OF SECURITY POLICY - Cell phones are innocent looking communication devices that enable continuous transmission of voice/data. In secured places where policy does not warrant the use of mobile phones, it is almost impossible to detect a person conducting a conversation and spot such misuse when the mobile phones are very small.

PREVENT ACCIDENTAL EAVESDROPPING - Many cell phones dial the last number called by simply hitting the SEND key. This accidental occurrence may initiate a call which could lead to transmission of confidential information over the air.

PROTECT AGAINST INTENTIONAL EAVESDROPPING - Cell phones continuously communicate with cellular base stations over the signaling control channels. Various cellular protocols enable a skilled technician to remotely activate a specific cell phone as bugging device and listen to conversations taking place in the vicinity of the cell phone's microphone.

FUNCTIONS:

Phone Jammer transmits low power radio signals to cut-off communications between cell phone and cellular base-stations. It does not interfere with any communications other than cellular within the defined regulated zone.

Upon activating Phone Jammer, all idle phones will indicate "NO SERVICE". Incoming calls are blocked as if the cellular hand phone is OFF. links

When Phone Jammer, is turned off, all cell hand phones will automatically re-establish communications and provide full service.

I wonder why they don't install a mobile phone blocker in such places? I was going to get one before I left England for use in the pub, on the train, etc. Wish I'd got one.

all these places can and should have a phone signals jammer installed.

there is no excuse for not having 1....

I just heard the story on UBC - Star News Asia. They said that in France, some theatres DO install mobile phone blockers. Why is the UK so slow to catch on? They could turn on the blocker during performances, and turn it off during intervals.

It had rang about 3 times and each time she had a conversation without attempting to whisper, in bargirl english which pissed me off even more.

Yeah dave you bloody would too.

I hav'nt been to a theater since I saw " ET " .

Nothing good about it . Sticky floors , people talking , never getting a good seat , and now cellphones ! Nah , the best place to watch a movie is on my sofa , where I can put all the butter I want on my popcorn .

It's not only the mobile phones ringing in Thai movie theatres that's annoying, the Thais, in the middle of the movie, like to turn around and have a conversation with their friends two or three rows back.

.......and if that ain't enough, you then have to step around a movie camera and tripod belonging to a boot legger copying the movie for his next DVD production. :o

It's not only the mobile phones ringing in Thai movie theatres that's annoying, the Thais, in the middle of the movie,  like to turn around and have a conversation with their friends two or three rows back.

.......and if that ain't enough, you then have to step around a movie camera and tripod belonging to a boot legger copying the movie for his next DVD production.  :o

Face is important but shame has no meaning. :D

.....and if that ain't enough, you then have to step around a movie camera and tripod belonging to a boot legger copying the movie for his next DVD production.  :o

I stopped buying them - got fed up with the sound quality, shaky camera, people coughing in the background and the outline of people's heads coming into camera shot. :D

In the U.K. there is a short feature between the ads and the trailers reminding the audience to switch off their phone.

Good on Richard Griffiths and Kevin Spacey for taking action, it's just a pity that Richard Griffiths couldn't turn to the screen during an early scene in Harry Potter and the Prisoner Of Azkaban last year and shout..

"Hoop baat khun <deleted>*king <deleted>!!!" when some fannies tlosup kept tooting every 5 mins.

While we're on the subject of cinema etiquette, could all those parents of the lovely international school set- delightful as your spawn must be- remind them to SHUT THE ^$%& UP when the movie is playing and try to AVOID KICKING PEOPLE as they lurch into position? I'm sure those who have been at cinemas along Sukhumvit will understand what I mean.

"Steven"

As we know. Thais are obsessed with their phones. Even the other day i flew back from Singapore. We had only been on the ground 20 secs and i heard a mobile phone ringtone. I think they just switched it on. The steward told them in English then in Thai, TURN OFF YOUR PHONE! No idea. They are scared they miss a a call or text. Is the Uk as bad?