Tokay Relocation

One of my aunties has a hatred for Tokay geckos - I moved 9 of them for her yesterday.

The largest was about 12 inches long :)

I shifted them to an empty house on the edge of town - loads of food and no petrified old ladies to bother them.

I used to breed these back in the UK - they sell for over a hundred pounds each when adults.

Only issue now is that I am inundated with offers to repeat the performance :)

Hmmm how do I add pics on here ?

Thats funny, DH relocates them regularly, I don't particularly mind, just the poop but other than that, they are ace. I found one eating a mouse once too, that was great :D

You been gone too long if you can't figure out how to add pics, you need to use the full add reply button or full editor in fast reply. ;)

Welcome back chon, good to have you back in Thailand --missed your bug and snake expertise!

Thats how DH does it too, back of the little neck. While they try like heck to bite!

There are quite a few where I live and one regularly visits my kitchen. I always look before turning kitchen lights on/off now as it often sleeps in that area, hidden by my fridge.

Personally, I like them.

Thats how DH does it too, back of the little neck. While they try like heck to bite!

There are quite a few where I live and one regularly visits my kitchen. I always look before turning kitchen lights on/off now as it often sleeps in that area, hidden by my fridge.

Personally, I like them.

Me too - they cut the insect population down big time :)

Personally, I like them.

Easy way to move them if you don't feel like or are scared to touch them is by putting your hand inside a plastic bag, get a hold of it, the tookay that is. then the turn the bag inside out. Easy then to take it where you want and let it go.

Thats funny, DH relocates them regularly, I don't particularly mind, just the poop but other than that, they are ace. I found one eating a mouse once too, that was great :D

You been gone too long if you can't figure out how to add pics, you need to use the full add reply button or full editor in fast reply. ;)

Welcome back chon, good to have you back in Thailand --missed your bug and snake expertise!

They eat mice?! And RATS? Two smallish ones have recently taken up residence in one of my bedrooms. The ceilings are very high and the rats from that particular area have relocated to another part of the house. I too don't mind them except for the enormous amount of shit they produce each day. I can't believe it's merely excremented insect crap. Could it be rats? If so, I wouldn't resent the constant scraping up of their great globs of poop every day. :)

Edited by silsburyhill

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, if any of you are not too far from Bangkok and want them relocated you can contact me by Pm..

^^ And yes they most definitely eat small rats and mice, used to have one in my downstairs bathroom ceiling and with the row houses here the mice and rats can and do go from unit to unit so the Tokay use to also. He'd be around for a few days and then off for other pursuits no doubt including females and then return after a week or so. This is a dangerous place though with quite a few soi cats too and even though we also have indoor cats they had an arrangement that he'd patrol the ceiling and they'd patrol the lower half smile.png and we never had any more rodent problems but eventually I think he was done in by a soi cat or some other potential CATastrophe and now we have some problems againsad.png so I wouldn't mind having a new recruit..

I'd also like to add that if you're not familiar with removing them it's not a good idea to try as the have a hack of a bite with hundreds of razor sharp teeth and a bite like a pitbull in which they will lock on and not release. There are some subtle ways to get them to release but they can very easily take off a finger tip or even more if you're not careful and a plastic bag will not at all prevent them from getting you right through it as has happened to me even with experience and proper gloves..

Also wanted to add that in spite of being tenacious and rugged little buggers their lower jaw is quite fragile and can break easily which will be their doing in if you try to pry it off you or something..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Thats funny, DH relocates them regularly, I don't particularly mind, just the poop but other than that, they are ace. I found one eating a mouse once too, that was great biggrin.gif

You been gone too long if you can't figure out how to add pics, you need to use the full add reply button or full editor in fast reply. wink.gif

They eat mice?! And RATS? Two smallish ones have recently taken up residence in one of my bedrooms. The ceilings are very high and the rats from that particular area have relocated to another part of the house. I too don't mind them except for the enormous amount of shit they produce each day. I can't believe it's merely excremented insect crap. Could it be rats? If so, I wouldn't resent the constant scraping up of their great globs of poop every day. smile.gif

Could be, this tokay was clearly crushing the mouse in his jaws to eat.