Removing Aggressive Soi Dogs - Any Solutions?

simon43

In the vicinity of my ex's guesthouse there are about 5 soi dogs that chase and bark at customers - both of the guesthouse and the massage shop next door.

The dogs will also occasionally bite, and whilst they do not cause a problem for me, they scare these customers big time.

Is there any soi dog organisation who will come and remove these dogs? I'm guessing they will only take sick dogs, not these healthy brutes :)

It's likely that the massage owners will soon use more permanent methods to remove the dogs, which is why I'm asking if there is a more humane solution?

(I did offer to drive the dogs all to Rawaii and release them...)

Simon

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Phuket's beloved Soi Dog Foundation won't do anything to help you and neither will PAWS...both organizations are a joke. Go to the vet on Soi Saiyuan...new building on the left with a sign that says her name. Ask her if she knows anyone who can help...I heard from another source she has the number of a man who will come and remove the dogs and not poison, club or kill them. Good luck!

@KarenBravo - Rawaii sounded the best place since I understand that it is awash with mutt-living 'farang', unlike my local area, where both Thais and the few foreigners are quite happy to poison, run over or eliminate by other means the hoards of stray dogs.

If it's a choice between tourists/guests being attacked by the dogs or myself driving my car over them, then I better find my car keys.

Do Burmese eats dogs? 1000 baht per dog is a crazy amount - euthunasia doesn't cost that much...

Bring on the flames...

Simon

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Phuket's beloved Soi Dog Foundation won't do anything to help you and neither will PAWS...both organizations are a joke. Go to the vet on Soi Saiyuan...new building on the left with a sign that says her name. Ask her if she knows anyone who can help...I heard from another source she has the number of a man who will come and remove the dogs and not poison, club or kill them. Good luck!

Care to elaborate on why you believe Soi Dogs and PAWS to be a 'joke'? Not flaming, just interested.

As to the vet on Sai Yuan who has the number of a man who 'will come and remove the dogs'. If not poison or club, what? Where does he take them?

@KarenBravo - Rawaii sounded the best place since I understand that it is awash with mutt-living 'farang', unlike my local area, where both Thais and the few foreigners are quite happy to poison, run over or eliminate by other means the hoards of stray dogs.

If it's a choice between tourists/guests being attacked by the dogs or myself driving my car over them, then I better find my car keys.

Do Burmese eats dogs? 1000 baht per dog is a crazy amount - euthunasia doesn't cost that much...

Bring on the flames...

Simon

Well, that's put us Rawaii dwellers in our place. How enlightened by comparison you all sound up there in Mai Khao.

Care to elaborate on why you believe Soi Dogs and PAWS to be a 'joke'? Not flaming, just interested.

As to the vet on Sai Yuan who has the number of a man who 'will come and remove the dogs'. If not poison or club, what? Where does he take them?

The man apparently has a very big rubber tree farm in Phang Nga, and will take the dogs there. I know one lady who has utilized this man, and has actually gone to Phang Nga to see the dogs and they were in good condition...well fed, loved, and looked after.

For myself, I've only had bad experiences with both Soi Dogs and PAWS. I've got 4 soi dogs around my house. They've been there since they were puppies. One got very sick...I took her to PAWS, asked if they could help, etc and that I was willing to pay, etc and the girl said to me at PAWS, "We are not a shelter." I explained to her again I just wanted the dog looked at to no avail...ended up getting the dog looked after at a Thai vet in town. I have called Soi Dog on many occasions asking them to come for the 4 dogs, sterilize them, return them and that I would pay. They have CONSISTENLY told me on the phone, "Rawai too far. We don't go." So, I found a Thai vet to sterilize the dogs. Everyone raves on and on about Soi Dog and attends all of their exclusive fund-raising parties at the Evason Resort and says that this organization is fantastic and blah blah blah...personally, I just don't see it. I am sure there are other people on the island who donate money to Soi Dogs and PAWS and have a good experience with them. Unfortunately, that was not the case for me.

I think Soi Dog has done fantastic work sterilizing dogs and I'm sure their accounting of how many done is correct and this alone is a huge service to the community. There is also a animal hospital facility correct? And a hundred resident dogs? I think the fancy, fun fundraisers are legit.

As an aside , Charitable Foundations chaired by foreigners can own land.

Simon, take them for a ride. Dogs that bite have to be punished.

Edited by TigerWan

hi thailand, in the past i emailed and called on various occasions as well as offered money. they didn't come. i am not trashing the organization, i just have had bad experiences with them and currently do not, and in the future will not, support them.

The man apparently has a very big rubber tree farm in Phang Nga, and will take the dogs there. I know one lady who has utilized this man, and has actually gone to Phang Nga to see the dogs and they were in good condition...well fed, loved, and looked after.

For myself, I've only had bad experiences with both Soi Dogs and PAWS. I've got 4 soi dogs around my house. They've been there since they were puppies. One got very sick...I took her to PAWS, asked if they could help, etc and that I was willing to pay, etc and the girl said to me at PAWS, "We are not a shelter." I explained to her again I just wanted the dog looked at to no avail...ended up getting the dog looked after at a Thai vet in town. I have called Soi Dog on many occasions asking them to come for the 4 dogs, sterilize them, return them and that I would pay. They have CONSISTENLY told me on the phone, "Rawai too far. We don't go." So, I found a Thai vet to sterilize the dogs. Everyone raves on and on about Soi Dog and attends all of their exclusive fund-raising parties at the Evason Resort and says that this organization is fantastic and blah blah blah...personally, I just don't see it. I am sure there are other people on the island who donate money to Soi Dogs and PAWS and have a good experience with them. Unfortunately, that was not the case for me.

I'm not being argumentative but Soi Dogs did come to Rawaii free to remove some dogs fairly recently. The only issue I have with them is that they dump the dogs back where they found them if they cannot re-home after being treated. As to PAWS, I recently took a dog there, having been given conflicting/incomplete information by the vet on Sai Yuan. Their practice also has no x-ray machine.

I was very happy with Khun Ouai at PAWS, even though the prognosis was very bad (as expected) but she did give me very comprehensive information and carried out more tests. And no, they are not a shelter. Not enough room.Perhaps there was some misunderstanding if you told her/whomsoever, it was a soi dog and thought it would not be picked up after treatment?

PS Happy to hear about the nice guy in Phang Nga. I had someone take a python I'd rescued up there once before it got made into shoes/handbags.

Edited by silsburyhill

I think Soi Dog has done fantastic work sterilizing dogs and I'm sure their accounting of how many done is correct and this alone is a huge service to the community. There is also a animal hospital facility correct? And a hundred resident dogs? I think the fancy, fun fundraisers are legit.

I'm glad my dog will bite someone and defends me against a person that comes on my land without permission. Sometimes I think dogs are more preceptive than people. Soi dogs never bother me... People do!

Bring on the flames...

Simon

So why are you bothering to ask the question seeing as you are more than happy to poison, run them over?

One of those odd things. I've never met an aggressive soi dog - but I'm sure they all are where you live.

Its unfortunate that Soi Dogs is basically a 'one man' organisation, and there's only so much that a man and his wife can do - particularly when the organisation is on the other end of the island and struggling for money.

I'm glad my dog will bite someone and defends me against a person that comes on my land without permission. Sometimes I think dogs are more preceptive than people. Soi dogs never bother me... People do!

I sure you know the standard fee here if a farangs dog bites someone is 20000 baht

And your house is not fenced so your dog is not kept in a secure area

So why are you bothering to ask the question seeing as you are more than happy to poison, run them over?

One of those odd things. I've never met an aggressive soi dog - but I'm sure they all are where you live.

As I said in the OP, I have no problem with the dogs because they are not aggressive to me. They are aggressive to the foreign tourists who visit the guesthouse and massage business next door. Perhaps those tourists are giving off the wrong vibes?

In any case, I guess the problem will soon be resolved by the Thai owners of the massage shop

Simon

Perhaps you would like to advise us all why Soi Dog is a joke!

They have sterilized almost 40,000 animals on this island and done work in Krabi, Koh Yao and Phi Phi, right now they have teams working in Bangkok to help the thousands of animals effected by the floods, they have been featured by CNN and National Geographic for their works here.

Yes they do not do dog collection and housing but will take the dogs steriise them and return them unless they are in danger.

I would like to hear why you think they do not deserve my continued support.

yes please blame the short minded thais and the corrupt govt officials for the dog problem, not soi dog.

just surprised they dont take in dogs anymore, last time they quoted me something like 1-2k baht per dog

They will house dogs that can not be returned to their area, ie: at risk locations, if they tried to house all the stray daogs they would need an enormous compound and millions a month for food and staff.

It already costs 1 million per month to operate.