Netbooks With Atom Processors

crabstix

Has anyone used windows 7 starter on a netbook with an atom processor? If so, what are your experiences? I need something portable for doing powerpoints and typing word documents. Does it run well or is it slow? Also I wanna know if it is compatible with Microsoft Security Essentials, the free antivirus for microsoft windows.

I use Win 7 Ultimate on my Asus netbook that has Intel Atom D525 processor,2 GB of RAM and it is fine. Microsoft security essentials too. The only time the netbook feels slow is when working with huge image files in Adobe Creative Suite / Photoshop.

I think that the key is 2Gb memory just as in bino's computer.

1Gb just doesn't cut it and most of them are sold with only that.

With 2Gb memory, these netbooks make pleasant machines for office work and web browsing. I'm quite happy with my own HP Mini 210. Most of them only have one memory slot so you have to buy a 2Gb stick and dump the 1Gb one. Memory is cheap (or at least it was before the floods...)

The MS Security Essentials page doesn't mention any restriction on what Windows 7 version is supported, apart from it being "genuine" :)

Edited by Lannig

I think that the key is 2Gb memory just as in bino's computer.

1Gb just doesn't cut it and most of them are sold with only that.

With 2Gb memory, these netbooks make pleasant machines for office work and web browsing. I'm quite happy with my own HP Mini 210. Most of them only have one memory slot so you have to buy a 2Gb stick and dump the 1Gb one. Memory is cheap (or at least it was before the floods...)

The MS Security Essentials page doesn't mention any restriction on what Windows 7 version is supported, apart from it being "genuine" :)

Ditto... for this post. My netbook goes to work with me every day. It is my main work and play PC. I've got a big monitor, full size keyboard and mouse on my desk at work and home. When plugged in to all of these, I can't tell any difference between a high spec desktop and my netbook- can run as many programs and open as many windows as I want, with the exception of Adobe Creative Suite. Having said that, it Creative Suite isn't so bad as to be unusable- just noticeable. Definitely not like a decade ago when it took minutes (or hours) to apply filters to photoshop jobs!

Admittedly, my ASUS 1215 N netbook is fairly "top end" in that the atom processor is a dual core, there is a separate NVidia GPU on board, and 2 Gigs of RAM was standard. Before buying this one, I had an ASUS 904 with a single core atom and one gig of RAM. Win 7 ran adequately on that netbook also. I did end up upgrading it though, and it made a big difference in lots of ways- print jobs spooled faster and started right away, etc. I don't attribute this to the netbook or atom processor though, since the same can be said for desktop PCs. Win 7 runs fine with one gig, but definitely happier with two, or more!

My Windows is genuine, but it was "pre-activated" ;-) Microsoft Security Essentials installed and runs fine.

I am currently using this AMD dual core netbook:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/netbooks/acer-aspire-one-522-review-50003377/

mine is black, not green sick.gif and cosrt less than the price posted on the review site. With 2gb ram it runs windows 7, can edit photos and 720p video and do all the office stuff I need on the move.

It also has an HDMI socket that is nice when travelling as many hotels and guest houses have a LCD TV with HDMI, so can play HD movies and music to the TV via the HDMI.

It is a lot faster than the older Atom 255 based Netbook I was using before.

I get about 3+ hours from the battery depending on use, not as good as reviews say for the latest Atom based machines but have not found it a problem as I rarely need to use it for that long away from a socket.

I got the Samsung with 2gb and atom, and agree entirely with Bino

" My netbook goes with me every day. It is my main PC. I've got a big monitor, full size keyboard and mouse on my desk at home. When plugged in to all of these, I can't tell any difference between a high spec desktop and my netbook- can run as many programs and open as many windows as I want"

I also think Avast is the better of the anti-virus software out there.

Edited by CharlieH

Good info! Thanks for taking the time to post.

One question, though- I was under the impression that "Netbooks" were limited to 1 Gig ram by some agreement with Microsoft that gave them a reduced cost Windows license. I'm reading here that you can ditch the 1 gig chip and replace it with a 2 gig chip. Is that universal, or only on certain models?

Okay, one more question: what's the maximum resolution supported on an external monitor? I'd like to plug one into my full HD (1920 x 1080) TV, just like my current laptop. Is that possible?

I'd sure like to ditch a few pounds when I'm travelling or even schlepping back and forth to the office.

Thanks in advance!

One question, though- I was under the impression that "Netbooks" were limited to 1 Gig ram by some agreement with Microsoft that gave them a reduced cost Windows license. I'm reading here that you can ditch the 1 gig chip and replace it with a 2 gig chip. Is that universal, or only on certain models?

Okay, one more question: what's the maximum resolution supported on an external monitor? I'd like to plug one into my full HD (1920 x 1080) TV, just like my current laptop. Is that possible?

I'd sure like to ditch a few pounds when I'm travelling or even schlepping back and forth to the office.

Thanks in advance!

I've never heard of any limitation like you describe. As far as I know, every netbook available these days uses the same DDR3 RAM modules that would fit in a conventional full size laptop. My earlier netbook used DDR2, but still it was the "industry standard" format. You are free to choose whatever brand of RAM suits your needs or budget. Cheap Taiwanese, better quality Kingston or the high end ones like Corsair will all fit / work fine.

The limitation however is as mentioned above in that a netbook has only one slot, and most full size laptops have two slots.

I use 23 inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) monitors at home and office - my netbook runs them without problem. So did my previous single core netbook. I've had it connected via the monitor port to a 42 inch full HD TV, no problem. Mine also has HDMI like Jay1980, and I've connected to countless hotel TVs this way, and never had any issues. Have been connected to a few projectors also. It seems that no matter what display or connection method I use, it just works.

Thanks in advance!

You are somewhat correct in that statement, but it's not the netbooks that are limited in RAM (many of the new top-end models today come with 4GB), it's Windows 7 Starter that does not support more than 2GB RAM.

The netbooks of today use exactly the same SODIMM DDR3 RAM as regular laptops, but most netbook motherboards do not allow more than 4GB total in the two slots combined.

Running a Toshiba netbook 305 with only 1 gig of ram and windows 7 pro.

I would reccomend more ram than this as depending on the program running it sometimes gets slow when the processor has to do some hard work, noticed mainly when using pdf.

1 gig is fine for most day to day use

Windows 7 starter has too many restrictions on it. can not network and the ram limits etc.